ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 14th, 2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Diegone
ninjette.org member

Name: Diego

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Price for installing stock links

Dealership wants to charge me $100 to bring the bike back to stock (install stock links)... Worth it?

I don't have a jack or any tools to get this done. Or else I would. But if I buy a jack and whatever I need will I hit 100$?

I'm getting my 500 mile service done and I'm deciding I don't wanna pay $100...
Diegone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #2
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

I don't believe you need a jackstand to put the links on. On my pregen I swapped out my shock with the bike just in its centerstand. Does your bike have a centerstand?

I wouldn't pay 100 to have them put on. That buys a fair amount of tools for the job
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #3
Diegone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterliter View Post
I don't believe you need a jackstand to put the links on. On my pregen I swapped out my shock with the bike just in its centerstand. Does your bike have a centerstand?

I wouldn't pay 100 to have them put on. That buys a fair amount of tools for the job
I don't think it's worth it either they're overcharging I just don't have a center stand or anything to keep the bike in place aside from the kickstand.

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
does that include the price for the stock dog bones?

Do you have any place with rafters you can get the bike underneath to use ratchet straps to life up the rear? or a good sturdy 6-8 foot ladder you could put the bike underneath and secure ratchet straps to ladder to life the rear?

If price does not include the stock dog bones or parts then you are literally paying them $100 to take off 2 nuts, remove the 2 bolts and then put it back together. It should take no more than a few minutes.

Find a place to lift the rear a bit and do it yourself.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

All you need are sockets or wrenches to fit the bolts (only two, I think). On the pregen, the job goes easier if you remove the mufflers, so that's another couple of wrenches.

It's done with the bike on the center stand, maybe on a piece of plywood to allow the wheel to drop a little when you remove the lowering links. Job should go quickly.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
This is in the new gen subforum so I would assume its a new gen = no center stand, just side stand.

No need to remove exhaust

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #7
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

where in ct are you? if you are close enough maybe stop by and knock it out in my garage.

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #8
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
ratchet straps around rafters can lift the rear enough to remove the dog bones and replace them.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #9
sonny4472
ninjette.org member

Name: Sonny

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 09 1125r, 95 Virago

Easiest way is to get a bottle jack and a piece of wood between the tire and sub frame. As you pull the dog bones the jack will maintain the height. Put the tops of the bones in and jack the bottle jack until the lower holes line up .
You could get all the tools for about $50.
Do you have oem dog bones? If not, look on Ebay. You could also use the bones with different holes, they usually have a hole at the stock ride height. (I use Roaring Toyz).
It's a 15 minute job.
Oh yeah, 1 ratchet, 1 socket, and one open ended wrench.
sonny4472 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #10
Diegone
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the responses guys, I ended up talking to the mechanic directly there's no way that was 1:30h of labor the receptionist was BSing me.

I was like I could do it myself if I had the tools, He was like "look I'll take care of it".

Called receptionist charged me half an hour $45+tax and then I tipped him out $20.

Pretty good deal haha!

I purchased the stock bones from someone in this board so I just paid for labor.

Old May 14th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegone View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys, I ended up talking to the mechanic directly there's no way that was 1:30h of labor the receptionist was BSing me.

I was like I could do it myself if I had the tools, He was like "look I'll take care of it".

Called receptionist charged me half an hour $45+tax and then I tipped him out $20.

Pretty good deal haha!

I purchased the stock bones from someone in this board so I just paid for labor.
as long as you are happy with it that is all that matters