ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 17th, 2023, 05:38 PM   #1
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 YZF600R

Need some troubleshooting help

So, to start with, I'm pretty mechanically capable. Give me a car and I'll strip it down to the last bolt and put it back without losing a screw. Bikes are a bit different.
I bought my 07 Ninja250 from a kid that said it had a leaky petcock and that it had been sitting for awhile. I got the impression that it was 5+ years. It's been a year(ish) since I bought it.

Note: I have pictures, but I don't remember how to add them on this old style forum)

Here's my problems. I.have a loose hose connected to the top of the coolant reservoir with no apparent place it should connect with. I'm guessing this should just hang below the bike to drip as needed.

The petcock is indeed leaking from a gasket. I'm having trouble finding one that I'm sure fits the bike.

A secondary issue is that one of the hose ends is open with no hose connected to it (the hose nipple toward the back of the bike). I did find a short hose that I THINK is supposed to be connected to it. That hose connects to the underside of the carbs if I'm identifying things correctly.

The air filter had completely broken down and was soaked in oil. In addition, the PCV was pushing oil in to the filter box, which then dripped out of a hole in the back left corner. Which had it dripping on the exhaust. A bike mechanic said that was likely due to too much oil. It did indeed have too much oil, I drained and changed the oil and filter, so that should be fixed. I still need a filter, but I'm more sure of having the correct part there.

Last, there's a hose nipple on the seat side of the tank with no apparent hose that should be connected to it. I rather doubt that loose coolant hose is supposed to be connected to it!

It's not really running currently since I have to leave the petcock switched to off, but it runs like a top with some starting fluid sprayed into the intake.
I'm sure most or all of this information is sitting in front of my face, but I've been looking for hours and I'm just not seeing it.
ThatGuyInTheKilt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2023, 08:16 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'm afraid you'll need to add a very thorough carb cleaning to your list of work to be done.

http://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/10/se...-passages.html

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; January 18th, 2023 at 01:05 PM.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2023, 05:53 AM   #3
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'm afraid you'll need to add a very thorough carb cleaning to your list of work to be done.

https://youtu.be/2gNwXAzNAnY?t=1903
Why? It runs very well. I mean, I'd expect it to need it after sitting so long, but there's no indication of a need for cleaning.

Old January 18th, 2023, 06:57 AM   #4
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

PS, I'm not questioning your statement, clearly your much more experienced with these bikes, and probably carburetors. I'm asking for clarification.

Old January 18th, 2023, 08:13 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I've never come across a Ninja 250 that sat for a long time, that didn't need a thorough carb cleaning. I thought I'd post that link to what's needed, since these carbs are not in the "soak in carb cleaner and blow out the passages" category.

Old January 18th, 2023, 08:17 AM   #6
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
IF...it sat for 5 years AND its truly "running fine", I'd say you'd be the luckiest recipient of a neglected pre-owned 250 EVER.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2023, 12:21 PM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
My friend's bike sat for about 5 years, and we used Ducatiman's service for her carbs. Came back perfect, runs beautifully now. Wouldn't have happened without him. We tried to clean her carbs ourselves, and it ran, but not well at all.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 18th, 2023, 01:06 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I fixed the bad link in my original post above. It has a lot of information about cleaning these carbs. Here it is again: http://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/10/se...-passages.html

Old January 19th, 2023, 12:54 AM   #9
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

Thank you very much. In fact, the registration on the plates is 2009. The local bike shop offered a carb cleaning for about $200. Unfortunately, I just don't really have that. So, if I end up needing to clean them, hopefully I can get it running decently enough to do some door dash or something to get some cash in. I did notice that duration has a rebuilt carb set on offer for $175 with the cores. So I'll probably order those.
I did get a chance to try to get it running today and the sucker backfired through the carbs and about scorched my hair off. It actually did run very well last year, aside from dripping oil through the air filter it ran great, not much power, but it is a 250.
I'm not exactly well acquainted with carbs, but my father was a hot rot rodder and a mechanic for 30 years. So we should have using a rebuild kit in hand. (Noting that I haven't read the link yet). In any case, thank you very much for your assistance.

Old January 19th, 2023, 12:55 AM   #10
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

Thank you very much for the review of ducatiman's service, it does help me to lean more toward using it if needed.

Last futzed with by ThatGuyInTheKilt; January 19th, 2023 at 02:21 AM.

Old January 19th, 2023, 01:00 AM   #11
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

Oh yes, also, I'm a detailer and very used to finicky cleaning projects, and may find cleaning and polishing a pair of Ninja carbs very therapeutic. In either case, I'll give it a shot myself with some supervision from my dad and the help of the guide you sent me and see what happens.if I can't get it tuned and cleaned right I have ducatiman as a backup. Which pleases me, I'd much rather spend my money with others on the same forum.

I'm looking at rebuild kits on Amazon, and as usual there's a wide array of prices. Would you happen to know what is a reasonable price for a kit to rebuild both carbs? I'm pretty certain the $10 kits are probably worthless and/or incomplete. On the other hand, they go up to $55 dollars, and that kit doesn't appear to be any different from the $20-$25 kits. Of course, there may be a difference that isn't apparent in a picture. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last futzed with by ThatGuyInTheKilt; January 19th, 2023 at 02:27 AM.

Old January 19th, 2023, 06:25 AM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I'll let Ducatiman go into more detail, but whatever you do, don't use any jets from a carb kit! It's best to clean the ones you have, and if you need to replace any, get the exact ones from Keihin.

Also, letting a motorcycle shop clean the carbs is risky, as few know what's really needed for these carbs. Ducatiman did mine, and even though I put a few thousand miles on my 250 and it ran fine, the improvement was spectacular.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 19th, 2023, 09:27 AM   #13
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInTheKilt View Post
Thank you very much for the review of ducatiman's service, it does help me to lean more toward using it if needed.
All I can really do is agree with Kerry and Jim regarding Gordon's (ducatiman) services. Even $175 is too much to risk on questionable parts when Gordon can make your current set run great. You can too, but it will involve some investment and time. Let him break through 5 years of grime, then you can maintain them for the next 20 years no problem.

Old January 20th, 2023, 12:36 PM   #14
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
All I can really do is agree with Kerry and Jim regarding Gordon's (ducatiman) services. Even $175 is too much to risk on questionable parts when Gordon can make your current set run great. You can too, but it will involve some investment and time. Let him break through 5 years of grime, then you can maintain them for the next 20 years no problem.
I agree, and if my pockets weren't so light I'd have swiped my plastic already. As is I'm going to clean them myself and hope it works out.
By the way, the registration is 2009. So, 13 years of sitting!
I'm actually surprised, they really don't look very bad at all. See what comes out when I chase the jets though!

Old January 20th, 2023, 01:30 PM   #15
Shafer
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja ex250 blue and 07 Ninja black

Better also put eyes on your tires. Look for the dot date code and see if your battery also has a date code.

Google how long motorcycle tires and batteries last and roll the dice from there.
Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2023, 04:22 PM   #16
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer View Post
Better also put eyes on your tires. Look for the dot date code and see if your battery also has a date code.

Google how long motorcycle tires and batteries last and roll the dice from there.
Already have a new battery in it. Tires aren't dried out out or cracking, so they should be alright for a few weeks until I can get a paycheck. Good advice though.
👍🏻

Old January 20th, 2023, 04:37 PM   #17
Shafer
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja ex250 blue and 07 Ninja black

If you are going to try to clean the carb watch these videos, I learned a lot.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...WmVFLL10P16vWf
Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote