ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #1
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

US Fish and Wildlife authority on the interstate?

Driving (in car) on Rte 95 in Connecticut tonight. About 10-15 mph over the limit in the high speed lane. Vehicle behind me hits the blue and red lights, I swear, and go in low speed lane. Vehicle shuts off the police lights and passes me. Its a white pickup with US Government plate. He does this a few times but never really speeds up like he's on a call. Apparantly I wasn't the only interested person as 2 other cars start trying to catch up to him to see what agency he is. Each time someone pulls up along side he puts the lights on again. I get my turn and see its a US Fish and Wildlife truck. I back down before he hits the lights again. However next up was a toyota from massachusetts, they stayed side by side with the fish and game guy slowing the interstate to 40mph. I tried to get Connecticut State PD on the phone, to report this guy, then figured the PD would ally with him and next thing I'd be the worse for it.

Just seems like he had no right doing what he was doing and was causing alot of confusion on a 65 mph road.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #2
kkim

Ah... give him a break. He was most likely drunk and just having some fun.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #3
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Ah... give him a break. He was most likely drunk and just having some fun.
i think he wanted to play highway patrol and scare some people into slowing down or moving out of "his" lane.

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #4
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Was the highway going through federal property? If not then I don't think he had any authority.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Was the highway going through federal property? If not then I don't think he had any authority.
No he was in front of me for about 20 minutes, so maybe 20 something miles, crossing several towns, some with private businesses on both sides of the road. Not so much as a public watershed.

Old September 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #6
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I didn't realize that US Fish and Wildlife could have red/blue lights.

I don't think they have authority to slow traffic, maybe he was just testing his power?
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #7
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Call and mention what you saw, along with a Tag #:

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/le/
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #8
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Call and mention what you saw, along with a Tag #:

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/le/
Thanks Sam I saw the site when I got home. If he flicked the lights once to slow some of us down thats one thing. However he became a hazard on the road. Guess they have lights due to chasing poachers?? But not speeders on 95.

Old September 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #9
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

AFAIK, anyone with a US Gov't plate - Fish & Wildlife, US Marshals, Treasury, etc - has no authority on the highway as they aren't peace officers. That stretch of road is horrible for slow left lane drivers pacing the right lane and backing dozens of cars up, so I'm sure he was just making some time.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbride11 View Post
AFAIK, anyone with a US Gov't plate - Fish & Wildlife, US Marshals, Treasury, etc - has no authority on the highway as they aren't peace officers. That stretch of road is horrible for slow left lane drivers pacing the right lane and backing dozens of cars up, so I'm sure he was just making some time.
Slow left hand lane drivers for sure Steve. You can cruise the right, then someone decides to go for the right hand exit from the highspeed lane and everyone is slamming on the brakes.

Old September 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #11
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie
I didn't realize that US Fish and Wildlife could have red/blue lights.

I don't think they have authority to slow traffic, maybe he was just testing his power?
If the driver had a Federal commission card, then he/she would have the authority to use emergency lights.

As for their motive using the lights, that's lies within the head of that person.

Old September 20th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by M View Post
If the driver had a Federal commission card, then he/she would have the authority to use emergency lights.

As for their motive using the lights, that's lies within the head of that person.
Do you agree a call should have been made based on his actions?

Old September 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #13
M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbride11
AFAIK, anyone with a US Gov't plate - Fish & Wildlife, US Marshals, Treasury, etc - has no authority on the highway as they aren't peace officers.
A federal commission card gives federal LEOs a wide range of jurisdiction, though they typically won't stop a vehicle for a municipal offense. US Marshals specifically use traffic stops on a regular basis to make contact with persons of interest and possible fugitives.

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #14
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Maybe Barney Fife "deputized" him. LOL

Nah, I agree with the other posts.... probably abusing the lights. Personally, I would consider reporting based on principle primarily. Government abuse is a big deal, IMO. I know the guy is human and needs a little fun, so I would give him a break for doing it once (I mean I'm sure I would do it one... it's got to be fun ), but if you saw him doing it repeatedly I would be a little more concerned - mostly out of principle. Government officials, particularly LEO and elected officials, have a lot of responsibility that goes with their power, and that should take that responsibility seriously. This kind of behavior tends to perpetuate negative stereotypes and feelings toward them in general, and the trust of the public is a fragile thing. In my understanding, Fish and Game pays McDonald's wages, but I'm sure there is some responsible person out there that would take the job in a second if that guys position opened up suddenly. If I were the guys supervisor, I would imagine a stern warning would suffice.... but who knows, maybe he heard on the radio his house was on fire (but than he would be going a lot faster).

A relative used to drive an "unmarked", non-LEO, US government (plate) vehicle. Trust me.... they get no special treatment or privileges from what I saw. In fact one department lost their car after a citizen called them in for private use (I don't know how they knew). I thought this was a LITTLE harsh, but I do believe all branches and levels of government must be responsible to the public. By the way, I think the agency was the Army Corp. of Engineers.

In my younger years, I used to drive vehicles with "immunity." These where state Rep. and others that had diplomatic plates. I was 19YO at the time, and parked cars for an expensive restaurant across from the capital. The perceived "immunity" was probably larger in my mind, than reality, but it was fun to whip it around the block at the time. 4 hours latter, I would be handing the keys back over to a completely drunk state official. This wouldn't happen today... I was a VERY naive 19YO. All that to say, maybe the guy from the OP was just on a joy-ride while the fish-n-game guy was enjoying a meal...

Sorry for the long-winded, and completely unnecessary rant/tangent..... just got up and am waiting for coffee.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

i wanted to be a cop at one point in my life, so i took a criminal justice class and my professor happened to be a lieutent of one of the police departments. We brought a situation like this to his attention and he said that you can actually file a complaint with the department if you feel someone is misusing their power. So you should have and could have made the call.

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

I am tempted to call. But then I have this conspiracy theory that next thing I will be looked up somehow by the driver of the Fish and Wildlife truck and end up with more trouble than its worth???

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #17
kkim

ask if you can place an anonymous call in.

most Federal agencies welcome tips on waste, fraud and abuse now days as opposed to the old days.

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #18
M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim
Do you agree a call should have been made based on his actions?
It certainly wouldn't hurt. Checks & balances exist to address abuses. A call will probably initiate an IA review of who it might have been, along with a determination if said person was acting within policies/procedures.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely...

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #19
kkim

Quote:
It certainly wouldn't hurt. Checks & balances exist to address abuses. A call will probably initiate an IA review of who it might have been, along with a determination if said person was acting within policies/procedures.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely...
...and of the concern Greg has on retribution? thanks for your input.

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #20
backinthesaddleagain

I did call the NE region. I gave the time and the exits. Lady on the phone was unaware of red/blue lights, but I described the truck (white 4 door pickup, black "Back Rack" brand rack in the back window, and their logo on the door. I never wrote down the US Gov license plate number, but at least she is aware. Or at least its off my chest.

Old September 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #21
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Good man.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #22
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

high 5 Greg!!

Old September 21st, 2010, 10:45 AM   #23
M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim
...and of the concern Greg has on retribution? thanks for your input.
Probably unfounded; the LEO knows that the individual contacted the agency once. Said individual is likely to contact the same agency if the LEO tries any retribution.

The LEO would have to be out of their mind to take a possible minor offense & turn it into a fire-able offense.

Old September 21st, 2010, 10:57 AM   #24
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Probably unfounded; the LEO knows that the individual contacted the agency once. Said individual is likely to contact the same agency if the LEO tries any retribution.

The LEO would have to be out of their mind to take a possible minor offense & turn it into a fire-able offense.
And we've never seen any instances where someone was out of their mind...

In reality, given the nature of the blue wall (or shield, or gang, or whatever) it's likely that the OP will just get blown off.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote