ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #1
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Pants for commuting

So I ordered a pair of A*s Track leather pants from CycleGear. They came in today, but they ordered a size too small (I didn't realise until I tried them on); wow they were uncomfortable. And I'm not referring to the tightness. So I'm thinking overpants may be the answer for me. I think this would make more sense as well since I don't have a car and commute everywhere and would wear them almost daily. I'd like leather, since it's the best choice of material for abrasion and I want impact protection as well. CycleGear guy says he only knows of Icon making leather overpants.

I tried on these A*s

The Icons CycleGear guy told me about

I also saw these in the catalog

I'm kind of just looking for some non-salesman input.

This will be my first riding pant, and it will need to be good for daily commuting and such. I'd like to get more pants in future, but for now I only have money for one pair.

P.S. They also forgot to order my SIDI Vertigo boots, and the salesman said he'd recommend the A*s SMX-Plus or the Dianese TRQs over the SIDIs I wanted. Any thoughts on this too?
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Leather stretches over time, what's tight now will become a bit looser as you wear it. I have two scars (one on each elbow) from where the sleeve rotated during the slide due to leathers being too loose. Most leather pants are not designed to be worn over regular pants, as it is tougher to get a good fit, unless you are talking about those ass-less chaps the cruiser guys wear

Good textile can also offer you very good protection in the event of a get off. I've heard that leather is more durable through several "partings" (potentially) while most textile is a one get off only deal. No crash experience in textile (only leather, but multiple times ) so can't verify those claims.

P.S. won't leather get real hot (especially unperforated) for you in FL?
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Good value here:

Kobe Dragon Leather Pants

At half price of the A*, maybe you can buy two pairs, the other one for rainy days:

First Gear Kathmandu Pants

Good luck with your search
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #4
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Well, it's heading toward November now and is getting cooler. And by the time it starts heating up, I will have some money to buy a second pair for the warmer weather.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #5
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

No leather overpant experience, but I've used TourMaster HT Overpants as commute pants for years. I can't attest to crash-worthiness, thank goodness.

My husband wears Darien textile overpants from Aerostich, and they did protect him well when he tangled with a minivan this past July. He had a small bruise on his knee, but that's it. Aerostich repaired the pants to be as good as new for $20 and within 2 weeks.

Old October 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #6
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

For commuting I would suggest this http://store.teizms.com/lombard this is an all year round suit. (As you guys can tell I'm a big fan of the one piece suit, the convenience of taking you less than a min to gear up is priceless )
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
For commuting I would suggest this http://store.teizms.com/lombard this is an all year round suit. (As you guys can tell I'm a big fan of the one piece suit, the convenience of taking you less than a min to gear up is priceless )
I'd rock the one piece suit if I could find a decent looking one at a decent price. Currently I wear the Icon ARC textile pants. They are really baggy and are on the long side. The only armor in these overpants are the dinky knee and shin pads. I only wear these over my scrub pants for added protection from rash and cold.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-arc-mesh-pants

Old October 29th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #8
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I have these:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...overpants.html

And have had really good service out of them, although right now, when mornings are in the high 30's low 40's, they are chilly. They are not to hot in the summer either.

nb

Old October 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #9
kaiserz

I have an over pants too. and personally Its a pain to get on and off that's why I hate it. That's why when I got my one piece it's like a "TADAAAAA" moment for me hehe

Old October 31st, 2011, 09:34 AM   #10
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

gotta work?

Aramid fiber kevlar dress (khaki) pants.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:01 AM   #11
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

For over-pants I prefer textile, it fits better when wearing it over something. I have a pair of textile over-pants from RevIt that I am quite fond of.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:46 AM   #12
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I have a pair of the Scorpion Deuce over-pants. Mesh, hip and knee CE Armour protection, removable water-proof liner.

I wear them to work over khakis - I don't have any complaints.

Old November 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM   #13
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post
For over-pants I prefer textile, it fits better when wearing it over something. I have a pair of textile over-pants from RevIt that I am quite fond of.
Would those be the axis pants? I just ordered a pair 30 seconds ago. Let's hope I like 'em just as much as you.
TheTopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 07:32 PM   #14
kaiserz

I'm thinking of getting the axis pants too http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-axis-pants