ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:12 PM   #401
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndiggity View Post
Ok found out H is for 130mph and W is 168mph. I'm not a racer so I'm ordering the 110/ 70R -17 and 140/ 10HR - 17.
I don't know how anyone in this forum can "take it easy"; as soon as I get on her I turn into a superhero and have to GO! FAST! NOW!! I was hoping for a brillo pad or sandpaper answer!
I started out being cautious after I had these tyres fitted, but I could feel they were already gripping better than the stock tyres, so I didn't really hold back much.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #402
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

On my second set of them on my 600. Both were put on the track with 0 miles. Scrubbed in at about 3 laps.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #403
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Scrubbed in at about 3 laps.
what exactly does it mean to have a "scrubbed" tire?
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #404
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
what exactly does it mean to have a "scrubbed" tire?
You know how tires look kinda shiny and smooth new? Well no longer once scrubbed in

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #405
jasonz1c
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 - Green

Would it be worth it to replace the stock tires with these?
My 2008 250r only has 7500kms and the tires are looking rather great.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to these for the increased grip?
jasonz1c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #406
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonz1c View Post

increased grip is always a good thing to have, but if your stock tires are still good and you are tight on money, I would hold out until I can afford it.

Old September 10th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #407
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonz1c View Post

Personally, I chose to upgrade my tyres to DRIIs well before my stock IRCs were spent. I have zero regret! Switching tyres was like an amazing upgrade to my ninjette. It really sticks to the road compared to how it was before. I've been having a lot more fun on the bike since I intalled them: I can take corners quicker and lean further while feeling planted on the road.

For me it was definitely worth it. It's up to you if you do it or not. There's a definite difference between stock and DRIIs.

I've stored my stock tyres so that I can always use them when my DRIIs wear out, if I'm low on cash and can't afford another pair of DRIIs

Old September 10th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #408
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I've stored my stock tyres so that I can always use them when my DRIIs wear out, if I'm low on cash and can't afford another pair of DRIIs
...or if you have to take the tank off and need someplace safe to put it that won't bonk the petcock on the ground. that must be what the stock tires were designed for, because that's what they do best
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #409
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...or if you have to take the tank off and need someplace safe to put it that won't bonk the petcock on the ground. that must be what the stock tires were designed for, because that's what they do best

Old February 28th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #410
MikeCG23
Ride this!

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Good info in this one fellas, I think I just found my new tires!!!! So no one out there is having rubbing or clearance issues with the 140 just running on the stock rim and swingarm??
MikeCG23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #411
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Pretty sure this is the same thread that convinced me to go with the Pirelli DRII's.

There are absolutely no clearance issues or rubbing. Love these tires.

I went 110/70R-17 and 140/70HR-17.

Much improved over the stockers and I am sure they'll feel even "stickier" once summer comes rollin' around.

Btw @MikeCG23 here's a great place to get 'em from: http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=33_188_1001

Old February 28th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #412
MikeCG23
Ride this!

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Thanks bro! I'm getting these for sure.
MikeCG23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:24 AM   #413
young-ninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 -Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCG23 View Post
Good info in this one fellas, I think I just found my new tires!!!! So no one out there is having rubbing or clearance issues with the 140 just running on the stock rim and swingarm??
No Problems here, I put them on last year June 2012, and got about 10,000 km out of them so far, and they are still going strong, I got:

front - 110/70R17 54W
Rear - 140/70R17 66H

These are amazing on dry pavement, but do you feel comfort when riding in the rain with these tires, not once last year did i ever feel worried my tires would slip out.

I will take some pictures of my tires when the weather gets better, but so far, a great recommendation, as well as no mod needs to be done on the tire or your 250 if you get these tires with the front and rear size like myself.
* I've done alot of research last year before i got these tires, mostly for size and style i would get, just my 2 cents, but some people might advise to get a bigger rear or front, (120 front, and 150 back) but for a 250, with the larger tire width, it takes more to turn and lean in (at leastfrom what i had read up on). So stick with the 110/140 and you should be ready for some fun and safe riding.
young-ninjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:34 AM   #414
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

I bought these tires too...I still have yet to put them on the bike, I'm trying to decide whether to attempt it myself or take it into a shop. ...BTW for anyone in Canada.... google "Pete's Superbike" they were the best price I could find and excellent shipping as well...

mine are H rated was a little worried about that at first but I really doubt I'll be going faster than 130mph on this bike
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:44 AM   #415
young-ninjette
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Stevo View Post
I bought these tires too...I still have yet to put them on the bike, I'm trying to decide whether to attempt it myself or take it into a shop. ...BTW for anyone in Canada.... google "Pete's Superbike" they were the best price I could find and excellent shipping as well...

mine are H rated was a little worried about that at first but I really doubt I'll be going faster than 130mph on this bike
I think someone replied earlier in the thread regarding putting them on yourself, if you dont have the equipment, i think its best to just bring it to the shop, its worth it, it costed me about 80 bucks to put them on, because they are not on rims. You can always Mcgyver it, but it's up to your judgement, since you only have 2 tires on a bike, if it blows, you're SOL. That alone, I think is the reason why i prefer to bring it to "professionals". its that safe sense i get knowing someone hopefully knew how to do it for me properly.

I got mine at http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/pire...rear-tire.html

last year, i got them both for $260 total including shipping.

I got the H, but the fastest i've ever gone (full throttle) was from Calgary to Banff and back and going down hill, i was able to hit 140km/hr. on a straight road, i think i can only get a top of 130-135km/hr

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:53 AM   #416
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by young-ninjette View Post

I got mine at http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/pire...rear-tire.html

last year, i got them both for $260 total including shipping.

I got the H, but the fastest i've ever gone (full throttle) was from Calgary to Banff and back and going down hill, i was able to hit 140km/hr. on a straight road, i think i can only get a top of 130-135km/hr

Yeah...Pete's was a little cheaper probably cause it was only $21 for shipping from Montreal to Toronto

Man, you guys get some crazy winds out there in the prairies. I'd hate to be stuck on a bike on that road during a shinook.
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:58 AM   #417
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I've got a rosso II rear sitting in my shop just waiting for me to mount it. I'm still waiting on my Michelin power cup front so I mount everything at once. I have a cool home made tire mounting setup so I do my own tires but I'd highly recommend taking it to a shop over using a bucket and tire irons. Use tire iron is a PITA and will surly scratch the rim.

Just to re-clarify there is no clearance issue with these tires on stock rims. I have a 150/70-17 Michelin on my bike now that's a lot bigger and I'm still not rubbing anywhere.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 09:06 AM   #418
young-ninjette
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Stevo View Post
Yeah...Pete's was a little cheaper probably cause it was only $21 for shipping from Montreal to Toronto

Man, you guys get some crazy winds out there in the prairies. I'd hate to be stuck on a bike on that road during a shinook.
yea we have some terrible wind over in the prairie here, but it does add a nice breeze on a hot day. Though on some days, leaning into the wind to stay straight and balance is another story!

Old March 6th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #419
polokid699
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ZZR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
It's for the speed rating. The Z would have a speed rating of 149mph+ (assuming the same rating from car tires translates over to motorcycle tire speed ratings). You'd be fine with the non-Z rated tires since the 250 can't get to 150mph unless you strapped some rockets to it.
I dont think the Ninjette would hit 150 if dropped from a a plane, lol, just sayin
polokid699 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #420
felo
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300R

what is the estimate millage of this DR2? no track, only street
anyone has an estimate?
felo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #421
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by felo View Post
what is the estimate millage of this DR2? no track, only street
anyone has an estimate?
Not sure yet since this is my first rear but I'm already got over 2k on in in the last few weeks and its looking good. I'm not entirely sure I'm my street riding counts as STREET riding but I'm sure ill have a milage till cords for you soon enough. Although it'll probably be side tread life and not center tread life

I am liking the rear but I don't seem to really care what's back there, as for the front I'm still using Michelin race tires. @CycleCam303 just mounted a full set and LOVES them so maybe he'll chime in with a review.

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #422
felo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Not sure yet since this is my first rear but I'm already got over 2k on in in the last few weeks and its looking good. I'm not entirely sure I'm my street riding counts as STREET riding but I'm sure ill have a milage till cords for you soon enough. Although it'll probably be side tread life and not center tread life

I am liking the rear but I don't seem to really care what's back there, as for the front I'm still using Michelin race tires. @CycleCam303 just mounted a full set and LOVES them so maybe he'll chime in with a review.
do you take measurements of the tread on how much has used?
when i said street, i mean it as not going to the track with them, inspirited driving on the street is still street lol

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #423
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
when i said street, i mean it as not going to the track with them, inspirited driving on the street is still street lol
Clearly you haven't seen his youtube channel yet
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #424
felo
ninjette.org member

Nop kind sir , please redirect me to it if you can...

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #425
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Clearly you haven't seen his youtube channel yet

Not to sound cocky but I'm not exactly your normal 250 street rider so some of my experiences will not match the majority. I don't measure tread depth but I normally have a new set ready a week in advance so when the cords start to show I can change them that day. I got 5500 miles out of my Michelin pilot road 3's and that felt like it was pretty good for easy riding through the winter.

Here's two videos I think are kinda cool.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by rojoracing53; March 20th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #426
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I've literally put 130ish on a brand new drs II front last night. The old Bridgestone I had was pretty fried. Like cords were going to start bleeding through bad. I'm running Rosso IIs front and rear. The rear has been on for about 1000 miles. Initial impression, a million times better than stock, confidence inspiring, turn in is quicker and the front end feeling... Well I can feel it now. These aren't that expensive and they are a really good street tire. I'm sure they would be great at the track too. They work decently in the dirt too so I imagine rain performance to be average. The funny thing is that it seems to get up to temp pretty quickly. The rear is holding up well. Similar to rojoracing I wring the piss out of my bike and tires on the street. Here are some pics. The front felt so good I hit the toe slider on my boots a handful of times last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.8 KB, 7 views)
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #427
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Whoops stupid phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (112.3 KB, 6 views)
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #428
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
do you take measurements of the tread on how much has used?

His version of street is what most of us aspire to after lots of track time. Click on his username, go to all threads started by him, and read his intro thread.

Jason is a great resource for us on this board, he just won't admit how good of a rider/tinkerer he is.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #429
felo
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Not to sound cocky but I'm not exactly your normal 250 street rider so some of my experiences will not match the majority. I don't measure tread depth but I normally have a new set ready a week in advance so when the cords start to show I can change them that day. I got 5500 miles out of my Michelin pilot road 3's and that felt like it was pretty good for easy riding through the winter.

Here's two videos I think are kind cool.

hahaha, man now i just feel stupid and a noob for not knowing, well mostly noobish

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #430
felo
ninjette.org member

serious question, would you consider is a forgiving tire or a non-forgiving tire?

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #431
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
serious question, would you consider is a forgiving tire or a non-forgiving tire?
Define forgiving in "street" terms

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #432
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

IMO (and only IMO), forgiving for a street tire means that loss of traction is very progressive & linear. Michelin Pilot Road 3's are a good example of that. They don't have particularly high limits, but as you approach those limits you can very easily feel how the tire starts to lose grip, with plenty of time to adjust inputs to either keep it at the same slip angle, or to bring things back inline. Pilot Powers (the originals), are an example of the other side. Reasonable grip, but right up until they lose grip very quickly, making it more challenging to catch slides.

I haven't put enough miles on the Rosso II's to experience what they feel like when they are sliding, as they have a tremendous amount of available grip for street (and to a large extent, track) use.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #433
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Oh in that case I have no idea because I don't ride fast enough to slide a tire on the 250. I'm being totally serious, the only time my tire slides is at the race track(only once) and when I hit gravel or ice. I think all tires made of rubber act the same on gravel and Ice covered asphalt.

Those videos where both on Pilot Road 3 front and rear for reference

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #434
Ptdoughnut
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mason

Motorcycle(s): 12 250r (sold), 2014 ZX6R

Any word on how Pirelli's motorcycle tires holdup? Around here they are show to wear down way faster then other tires (car tires)

I deal with a few hundred tires where I work and we don't sell many pirelli's due to the word of mouth about wear and tear on car tires.

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #435
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm going to have to watch your rear tire closer. You don't ever have any sensation of the tire sliding the least bit, rather than just rolling in line?

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #436
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I'm going to have to watch your rear tire closer. You don't ever have any sensation of the tire sliding the least bit, rather than just rolling in line?
Never, it's got 28hp for Christ sakes that's why when you first got your 300 and told me you power slid the rear I called bullshit and told you it was tire flex or gravel. I may have slid my rear under hard downshifts like in the video going up Hamilton when I enter the hairpin to hot but that's the most you'll ever see.

My opinion is if your truly sliding the rear on a 250 then you doing something wrong like not being smooth.

I laugh inside when on a group ride I see someone screw up a turn and pogo their suspension and proceed to tell all their buddy's about the massive power slide he just saved

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #437
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Clearly it was tire flex, gravel, and aliens.

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #438
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
My opinion is if your truly sliding the rear on a 250 then you doing something wrong like not being smooth.
Lies, I saw you put down black stripes at chuckwalla
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #439
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Clearly it was tire flex, gravel, and aliens.
Tractor beams will cause all kinds of problems with tire traction

Old March 20th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #440
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
Lies, I saw you put down black stripes at chuckwalla
It's to bad you didn't know me back when I rode real motorcycles. I rode my R-1 like Gary McCoy Dunlop had to follow me off track after every F-1 race with a tire warmer in hand just incase I blistered another tire. I was a nightmare for those poor guys but as long as you win it's ok I guess

When my clutch started to go mid race at Miller motorsports Shane Turip said he new something was wrong when my tire lines started to look like Morris code.