ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 4th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #1
NinjaNoob23
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Tach/RPM won't light up

I took my new (to me) 2011 ninja out tonight for a ride, problem is the tach and rpm does not light up. Only thing that was illuminated was the gas gauge (which is off by a lot, it has a full tank and the gauge says half a tank).I know this question is answered somewhere on this forum already, I just can't find it.

Any advice or links to point me in the right direction would be very very very much appreciated. I do a lot of night riding and would really like to have those. Getting the gas gauge correct would just be a bonus, not a necessity.

Only electrical done to the bike (that I know of) is a fender eliminator kit, which I don't think anything was really done because the brake and signals appear to be stock.

Thanks for your time,
Nick
NinjaNoob23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNoob23 View Post
..........Any advice or links to point me in the right direction would be very very very much appreciated...........
This article is for the pre-gen, but may be helpful to you:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Replaci..._cluster_bulbs
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #3
NinjaNoob23
ninjette.org member

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. It couldn't have been a fuse that's blown, could it? I hate to take the whole front apart if I don't have too.

Old May 4th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #4
NinjaNoob23
ninjette.org member

If anyone see's this thread and is looking to replace their bulbs, this may help. Also has some links to replacement bulbs.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64261

Old May 5th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #5
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. It couldn't have been a fuse that's blown, could it? I hate to take the whole front apart if I don't have too.
The Taillight fuse powers pretty much every light on the bike, including all the dash illumination bulbs. There's no fuse that would cause one of the dash lights to be out.

If they're that much of a pain to get to, I suggest switching to LED bulbs, so you should never have to touch them again.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #6
NinjaNoob23
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
The Taillight fuse powers pretty much every light on the bike, including all the dash illumination bulbs. There's no fuse that would cause one of the dash lights to be out.

If they're that much of a pain to get to, I suggest switching to LED bulbs, so you should never have to touch them again.
I just purchased some red LED's to go in the dash. I think I got the right ones, guess we'll find out. :roll eyes:

I'll probably do a "how to" thread when I do it. I can't seem to find a step by step tutorial on it. There are some people telling you how to do it, and threads of pics after it's done, but I haven't found one that was a step by step.

Old May 6th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #7
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
I just purchased some red LED's to go in the dash. I think I got the right ones, guess we'll find out. :roll eyes:

I'll probably do a "how to" thread when I do it. I can't seem to find a step by step tutorial on it. There are some people telling you how to do it, and threads of pics after it's done, but I haven't found one that was a step by step.
Why did you get red LEDs?

Its really pretty simple, you just have to take the whole front end of the bike off (if you want to pull the gauge out). Otherwise, you just have to take enough of the front off to be able to get your hand up there to switch out the bulbs. I recommend just taking the whole thing apart, as is it much less of a pain to change the bulbs if you have the instrument cluster completely out of the bike. My bike looked like this when I did it.

Also, when you put the LEDs in, make sure you put them in the correct way. They can only go in one way. If you put it in, and it does not light, then flip the bulb around the other way, it should light.

This thread will help you out if you run into this problem:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172686

In regards to what bulbs to get, refer to this thread:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169472

In the end, your bike will look great once changed to LEDs like mine does:

kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote