ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #1
rwheelz
Moroccan Gold Imports

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): '03 ZX9R, '03 ZX7R & wife's '09 250R

How to tell if valve check was done? Looking at 09 250.

I am about to purchase a 2009 250 for my wife, but the bike is for sale by a person who received the bike on trade at a car dealership. The bike has 900 miles and looks MINT, but I have no way of contacting the original owner to see what maintenance was done. The local Kawi dealer where it had the service tells me they do not keep records of what was done to a bike. Is there any other way I can tell, from looking at the bike? I am told it is an expensive service, so it would add to the cost significantly.
rwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The new-gens (2008+) don't have a valve adjustment at 600 miles like the older ninjettes, the 1st one is scheduled for 7500 miles. The 600 mile service is an oil change and a bunch of safety checks / adjustments, that's all. If you're not sure anything's been done, I'd change the oil at least, and consider performing the rest of the 600 mile service just in case.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/600_mile_service

and

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10577

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #3
rwheelz
Moroccan Gold Imports

Oh man thanks a ton! I guess I just assumed it needed a 500 mile check- the local kawi dealer said that it did when I called to try and get records. I guess I won't be taking it there when the time comes

We sold her old Ninja 250 (a 2001 model) years ago and she is itching to get back on one. She took my SV650 over when I bought a 9R, but never felt comfortable on the bike as it is a little too tall and kind of top heavy. She has not enjoyed riding as much and I am hoping another 250 will make her feel right at home again!

Thanks again.

Old September 18th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congratulations to you and your wife on the new bike. If she is not a member all ready have her join and introduce herself. There are a lot of females here and us guys are friendly as well.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #5
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Alex is right about the service interval.

I may not be understanding completely, but I THOUGHT they HAD to keep records of the work they do. Maybe not in the same way we do (should be doing), but it should be itemized on the work-order. Perhaps they don't keep them long... but I can tell you, as a business owner, you hold onto that stuff in case you get sued. You need to recreate what you did and prove you did what you said you did. Of course it is even worse if you can't answer the question, "what DID you do?'. If nothing else, it is good data for figuring our marketing/business schemes. (I use "scheme" in honor of my friend's visit from London. That word doesn't have the same negative connotation in the UK, as it does here).

Sorry for 7500 the OT, but that just sounded a little strange to me, and is one more thing that would make me personally skeptical about the service there.... but that is my default with dealer/mechanics, unless I see/hear otherwise.

EDIT: BTW - I don't consider myself an expert, because I have only been riding a little over 2 years (LOTS to learn still), but have learned to do my own work along the way (up to the valve-lash adjustments). Unless you see evidence that the bike was treated harshly, or has some damage, I really wouldn't worry about a 250 with only 900 miles. Some would argue it isn't even fully broken in yet. If the bike looks "MINT," although it isn't proof, it is a good indication that it was cared for. And with only 900 miles, it obviously wasn't a daily rider. I would be more suspect of the carb getting a little gummy from such little use (probably not significant enough to cause a problem). Mine is a daily driver, so it gets more wear, requires more frequent love, but I can tell you the carb is as clean today as it was the day it came off the showroom floor. For last years model, and a few miles on it, I would think the bike you found is the ideal situation... a little bit of depreciation, no dealer "add-on" fees, and a virtually brand new bike. It is like adopting an infant.... yeah, you weren't there the first few months, and may have questions about that brief history, but in the big picture, you share in all the significant experiences throughout the child's childhood, into adulthood... 99% of what matters (I know, a strange metaphor). Awesome find! I'm happy for you.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #6
rwheelz
Moroccan Gold Imports

Yeah I will not be having my bikes serviced at the dealership That is what he told me though, that they have no record of what exactly they did, it is up to the customer to keep their receipt.

I do my own work on my cars, and so far on my bikes, but have not had to do a valve adjustment yet. My 9R needs to be checked and I think I am going to attempt the re-jetting, valve adjusting and carb cleaning myself with the help of online aids from another forum.

Good to hear the new 250 won't need a valve check for a while, saves me some labor and gives me more time to ride!