Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Leather jackets for Florida?

Hey everyone.
Soon I'll be getting a bike within the next few months. Mean while I'm getting my gear ready. People say its silly when I dont have a bike but I'm getting gear, but I find it silly they think I'll ride the bike until I get the gear. Anyways, it's pretty hot here in florida and its bound to rise to our usual 99F degree weather and with humidity it'll feel like 103 in no time. So I'm looking for a good leather jacket that has great airflow. Preferably scorpion, but anything thats good looking and cool, will do. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM   #2
kkim

whatever brand you decide, look at their perforated leather jackets and consider one of those for your situation.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #3
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Teiz Motorsports has been focusing on their leather mesh jackets and suits, and offer them at a great price for the quality. Great customer service, too. Teiz Saratoga 2 Leather Mesh. Vanson leathers is another small brand that makes a breathable leather product. Here is their Strip Jacket.

Most that live in your climate forgo the leather during summer though, and go with a textile or mesh product. Leather, no matter the perforation or venting, isn't going to be as comfortable as a mesh or vented textile. Non-leather is a bit of a sacrifice for safety, but modern textile/mesh jackets can be very well made with good CE rated armor and tough cordura abrasion resistance that will protect you well for non-racing use.

Good luck, and great job focusing on gear first.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Hey everyone.
Soon I'll be getting a bike within the next few months. Mean while I'm getting my gear ready. People say its silly when I dont have a bike but I'm getting gear, but I find it silly they think I'll ride the bike until I get the gear. Anyways, it's pretty hot here in florida and its bound to rise to our usual 99F degree weather and with humidity it'll feel like 103 in no time. So I'm looking for a good leather jacket that has great airflow. Preferably scorpion, but anything thats good looking and cool, will do. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Where in Florida do you live? It's hardly ever like that in my neck of the woods.

Don't forget, once you get your gear you have to break it in before you go riding with it. I suggest wearing it out and about for a week or two so the material gets used to the shape of your body. Obviously, keep the face shield up on the helmet until you are actually on the bike.

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

I'm probably going to pick up one of these this summer. Perf'd leather in the impact areas, mesh everywhere else. They don't list the price unless you email them, but I think it's about $170-180.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Where in Florida do you live? It's hardly ever like that in my neck of the woods.
Orlando. By july it reaches on average 98 degrees but the humity makes it feel like 100 or so. I may have exagerated earlier lol.

Thanks for all the info guys. It helped alot.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

I use mesh fabric. Way too hot otherwise. Even then you bake at red lights.

Get white, light colors if poss.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #8
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Orlando. By july it reaches on average 98 degrees but the humity makes it feel like 100 or so. I may have exagerated earlier lol.

Thanks for all the info guys. It helped alot.
O.o a little?

Summer last year wasn't much different then the current weather here in Orlando if you ask me. I remember most days being in the 80's with some in the 90's but the constant breezes kept it controled. Now if it were PA with all the mountains blocking the wind from moving the air then I would understand and agree. Honestly the humidity down here isn't as bad as people seem to make it out to be thanks to the flat land and constant wind currents keeping the air moving all the time.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote