ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 13th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #1
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '04 Aprilia RSV, '10 Bonneville, '10 Ninjette

CCS 250 Racing?

A friend of mine told me I ought to look into this. It seems like it's a racing series for 250s (and other lightweight bikes) that operates in a more local circuit.

I've never raced before, although I do have 6 or 7 track days under my belt with at least another 3 or 4 planned this summer and fall. Also not a very fast rider, but not "never been on a track before" slow.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with doing something like this. Do people race in a series like this just for fun? Is it ok if you aren't terribly quick? If I decided to give it a shot, it'd be purely for the fun of it.

My friend implied that there are a bunch of folks who aren't that quick and just do it for the enjoyment and friendly competition.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old July 13th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrain View Post
A friend of mine told me I ought to look into this. It seems like it's a racing series for 250s (and other lightweight bikes) that operates in a more local circuit.

I've never raced before, although I do have 6 or 7 track days under my belt with at least another 3 or 4 planned this summer and fall. Also not a very fast rider, but not "never been on a track before" slow.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with doing something like this. Do people race in a series like this just for fun? Is it ok if you aren't terribly quick? If I decided to give it a shot, it'd be purely for the fun of it.

My friend implied that there are a bunch of folks who aren't that quick and just do it for the enjoyment and friendly competition.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I would go and check out the "friendly competition" first. If you know your lap times you can see where, and if, you would fit in. Racing is not a friendly competition to most racers. Back markers can be a danger to both the passer and the one being passed.

If you just want "enjoyment and friendly competition" you might to just go to trackdays with your friends. It would be much safer to you and the others on the track.

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #3
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Thanks CC. That is sort of what had me worried about the idea. The fellow who threw the idea out there is an older racer who is pretty far above my skill level, and I think he may be out of touch with how well I'd fit into a racing environment.

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #4
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrain View Post
Thanks CC. That is sort of what had me worried about the idea. The fellow who threw the idea out there is an older racer who is pretty far above my skill level, and I think he may be out of touch with how well I'd fit into a racing environment.
There's a bunch of us who race WERA who aren't quite so competitive. The more the merrier!

Granted everybody wants to win, or at least beat the guy in front of them, but it's mostly cheap, fun racing for shits and giggles. But fyi, if you weigh more than 170 lbs, you're not gonna win anything.
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #5
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Haha, I'm pushing 250 all geared up. But like you said, I'd be participating just to push my skills and enjoy myself while trying to keep up with the guy in front of me

Old July 13th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #6
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

People race to win: there are no giggles. Track days are for skills: frequently there are giggles.

Choose wisely young padawan.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #7
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
There's a bunch of us who race WERA who aren't quite so competitive. The more the merrier!

Granted everybody wants to win, or at least beat the guy in front of them, but it's mostly cheap, fun racing for shits and giggles. But fyi, if you weigh more than 170 lbs, you're not gonna win anything.
Not true! Big guys can win... they just need to work a bit harder.

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #8
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
Not true! Big guys can win... they just need to work a bit harder.
Well, unless Joel qualifies, I think it's safe to say that nobody that size has won a race in ESS expert or novice in the SE since the class began. (No, I haven't checked.)

But a big guy can dream...

Old July 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #9
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
Well, unless Joel qualifies, I think it's safe to say that nobody that size has won a race in ESS expert or novice in the SE since the class began. (No, I haven't checked.)

But a big guy can dream...
I'm 5'10" and weigh 190 right now. Was 193 at the JGP race (leathers barely fit)
Weighed 180 when I started racing. I need to excercise and get back to my old 170 self.

I guess racing makes me hungry LOL.
WERA #273 Novice
Boogeyman Racing.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #10
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS73 View Post
I'm 5'10" and weigh 190 right now. Was 193 at the JGP race (leathers barely fit)
Weighed 180 when I started racing. I need to excercise and get back to my old 170 self.

I guess racing makes me hungry LOL.
I stand corrected; guess I need to work a little harder then.

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Hey Joel, will you be at PBIR on Sunday?

If so, come by and say hello, I should be in the first tent by the tower, we are introducing a new product (software) we will have some monitors on display should be easy to find.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote