ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Steering stem & swing arm maintenance

Ok. I looked around, but I can't find a real thread on checking/maintaining the steering stem.

Who's done this, and do you have any suggestions, hints, etc? I know I'm about 5,500mi overdue for lubing the steering stem/bearings. The play's fine, but just feel like I should check on them.

I currently lack the manual-specified tool for the special nut under the triples. Is there a workaround or alternate (common) tool that works just as well that Kawasaki doesn't wanna tell you about?

Any particular kind of grease I should use (waterproof, high-density, bearing specific...), or will the regular lithium do?

Also looking for pointers on the swingarm pivot lubrication.

Thanks in advance!

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:49 PM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I been in the head a few times but not in the tail.

Just like a bicycle mang.

Wheel bearing grease or high quality lithium grease or whatever is clever.

I use a mallet and a messed up screwdriver to handle the nuts.
Good luck finding the tool!

Getting the play exactly right is the hard part. Requires a few ride tests. Can never get it right in the stands. I have adrians' a bit tight right now but he rides it like that fine I guess. I need to back it off some to be honest. Keep telling him to bring the bike by..

Hell on mine I have dents in the headtube cups. I have the new cups and bearings sitting right here waiting for a new frame but I leave the old ones in, no trouble to report even at freeway speed with dents in the cups. lol. And they say the ninja can tankslap.. you gotta really be asking for it.

I have the woodcraft clipons also and I barely get any oscillation at deceleration like KKim had.. just a hair even with these bearings and cups.

the ninjette is easy and plenty of room to work with.
I worked on suzi all day today for nada in change lol ended up putting the SET valve and Secondary butterflies back on for now. =P
A lot tighter of a bike all in just about the same amount of space! Need more specialized tools also.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Momaru

Hehe, fair enough. Thanks.

Strongly considering ordering the specialized tool, as I hate leaving nicks/dents on stuff if I can avoid it with the right tool. May try a plumber's castle nut tool first though, seems like it's about the right idea.

I have the oscillation that Kkim had an issue with, but like my steering play where it is; not too tight, not too loose. If I go no-hands around 40mph (throttle set or decel), it'll wiggle on me a good bit, but doesn't seem to get worse than a certain point.

I think the standing theory on that is our front tires; we're both using Pirelli Sport Demons (stock sizes) and that tire has a wave design down the center. Considering swappin to something else this fall, but not sure what just yet. Really liked Spooph's Conti Go!s but they don't come in 140/70-17 only the 80-wall which I'm not so sure about. Chief alternative is the Bridgestone BT-090

Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:27 AM   #4
ninja250
You are sleeping

If you use just the right tool you can minimize the marks to the stem nut.
I think I had trouble locating the actual tool itself. I searched for quite some time. If you do find one, let me know!

I think I used the square end of an old crumby 3/8 ratchet extension with the mallet. Insert sideways into the nut and smack!

Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:29 AM   #5
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

At what interval is this recommended?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:12 AM   #6
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
At what interval is this recommended?
2 years/15,000 mi for lubing the steering stem bearings, 15,000& 24,000mi for the swingarm pivot

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:21 AM   #7
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

You can make your own socket for the steering stem nuts. I made one that fits Hondas. I used a 36mm (I think) socket and grinded down the face of it so that it's flat (the chamfer on the open end is gone). After that I marked out 4 tabs that matched up with the steering stem nuts and cut away the socket around these. I had to have the socket cut in half and a piece of tubing welded in between so that it would clear the excess stem when torquing the nuts down.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:24 AM   #8
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
2 years/15,000 mi for lubing the steering stem bearings, 15,000& 24,000mi for the swingarm pivot
Hmmm... I would have thought the swingarm pivot would have been a sealed bearing assembly. I see now in the SM that it is a needle bearing setup. More special tools needed too...

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:26 AM   #9
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
You can make your own socket for the steering stem nuts. I made one that fits Hondas. I used a 36mm (I think) socket and grinded down the face of it so that it's flat (the chamfer on the open end is gone). After that I marked out 4 tabs that matched up with the steering stem nuts and cut away the socket around these. I had to have the socket cut in half and a piece of tubing welded in between so that it would clear the excess stem when torquing the nuts down.
Wow...

Can we get a picture of that???

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Momaru

Quote:
Hmmm... I would have thought the swingarm pivot would have been a sealed bearing assembly. I see now in the SM that it is a needle bearing setup. More special tools needed too...
Welcome to the reason why most people haven't done it, I think. It's sure why I've put it off this long.

Definitely gonna need a picture of the DIY stem wrench, this sounds cool.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:49 AM   #11
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Wow...

Can we get a picture of that???
I don't have any pictures right now of mine specifically, but this link shows how it's done. The welds on mine are much nicer though, had a friend TIG them and then I painted it black to help keep any corrosion from forming.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #12
ninja250
You are sleeping

This don't seem like such a bad idea.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM   #13
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
This don't seem like such a bad idea.
Except you can't easily use a torque wrench with it.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:18 AM   #14
ninja250
You are sleeping

Right but even if you could properly torque the stem nut, It's still an item that must go by feel. It may require further adjustment from torque.

Like I said I can never get it right the first time. It's always too loose or too tight.
Too loose is usually harder to feel. Too tight becomes awkward to steer. You'll know when it's too tight right away.

The trick of letting the steering fall to either side in the stands to check the tension does not work for me. You could still have it too loose without knowing it.

Also the torque settings may change with wear over time? Probably not but who knows.

To be honest I'd like it most with the proper tool, then nothing should have to be removed to complete the adjustment. Would make things quick and easy.

You guys keep reminding me I need to fix Adrians'.

It's too tight. I figured it would losen up just a hair and it never did. Most of the time they do but I guess it takes a long while. This is probably the hardest adjustment to get right on the motorcycle.

By the time I get to his bike again I may end up owing him my cups and bearings that I have on the side sitting here new. I don't understand how he rides it like that but he just does. I guess it doesn't bug him but it would me.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:31 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
I currently lack the manual-specified tool for the special nut under the triples. Is there a workaround or alternate (common) tool that works just as well that Kawasaki doesn't wanna tell you about?

Channel locks.

as far as the swing arm... i don't think it's rocket science... just coat it and clean up any excess after so you dont get splatter around (clean bike == fast bike)

Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:39 AM   #16
dubojr1

So how long in total does it need to be? Could a "long drive" socket fit the bill?

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #17
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Channel locks.

as far as the swing arm... i don't think it's rocket science... just coat it and clean up any excess after so you dont get splatter around (clean bike == fast bike)
Ah I think I may have remembered using the 'locks in the slits once or twice..
Those things are worth their weight in gold.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM   #18
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
So how long in total does it need to be? Could a "long drive" socket fit the bill?
Yeah if you can find a deep socket that is the right diameter it should work well.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Ah I think I may have remembered using the 'locks in the slits once or twice..
Those things are worth their weight in gold.
they're easier to use than the kawi spanner that's made for it. though if you don't have a good pair with the nose that comes in to a slight point at the end you might scratch up the nut a little bit. seriously though, channel locks should be in every garage.

Old September 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #20
ninja250
You are sleeping

Good news my friend.
I found the ninjette toolkit has the tool to adjust both your stem nut and mine on the gsxr as well. Its the tool used for the stock suspension adjustments. Fits perfectly over here. That's if you didn't find something else already.
Doing the gsxr stem nut break in maintenance now.

Just be happy the ninjette Only has the one stem nut. The gsxr has two and still works It's way loose. Lol
Sry for the iPhone text..

Old September 29th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
on some bikes there's supposed to be a clip that goes over the two nuts to lock them together then the piece locks into or is held by friction from the top triple to lock the nuts in place. you can also safety wire it...

Old September 29th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #22
ninja250
You are sleeping

Here was a DIY of my GSXR adjustment with the 250R shock tool. lol
the GSXR guys must be scratching their heads where they are going to get this thing.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...069#post380069
I say we make a mold and start production immediately.

Old October 1st, 2011, 11:37 AM   #23
Momaru

Quote:
Good news my friend.
I found the ninjette toolkit has the tool to adjust both your stem nut and mine on the gsxr as well. Its the tool used for the stock suspension adjustments. Fits perfectly over here. That's if you didn't find something else already.
Doing the gsxr stem nut break in maintenance now.

Just be happy the ninjette Only has the one stem nut. The gsxr has two and still works It's way loose. Lol
Sry for the iPhone text..
!! Thanks man. Didn't even think to check that for fitment. Admittedly, haven't thinking bike maintenance for a couple days since the temps are dropping and I just got in my video rig: been trying to squeeze the last few days out of the summer-gear riding season while testing the video setup.

Will definitely skip the OE tool if the suspension wrench fits. The DIY one was really neat, but between beers for the welder, and buying a socket that big, may as well buy the right tool.

Old October 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM   #24
ninja250
You are sleeping

Be careful..
I took a reaming from the GSXr forum guys.

they say you should get a spring scale and measure the force apply-able to the bars before they move after making the adjustment. Also after tightening everything back down too.

I'm pretty sure I have it down though, done this a few times myself. Not so sure how much I trust a spring scale over a cheap digital fishing scale or something from walmart either.

Luckily the Ninjette is known to be a bit less prone to tank slappers also so you'll be ok dabbling in your own stem nut tension.

I'm finally fixing Adrian's tomorrow. I told him to stop riding so he went out and got leathers and now he's riding it faster. I have to go fix it before he gets himself killed from a tight stem nut.
Can't say I didn't warn him five times though. I guess I'm heading over there tomorrow.
Can't bear to know he's riding it around like that still. =P

It would be driving me crazy if it were my bike.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:53 PM   #25
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

Going to sound like a complete noob, but help me out here.... Can anyone snap a pic of what the -Steering stem & swing arm pivot- is. I have an idea i just need conformation.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

TheDuck made his own Castle/Crown nut/socket for the GSXR triple tree in his SV650:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Used a $4 Harbor Freight deep socket.

CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #27
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

Nice vid Jet, makes it look so easy lol
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #28
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
TheDuck made his own Castle/Crown nut/socket for the GSXR triple tree in his SV650:

Used a $4 Harbor Freight deep socket.
Pretty much just what I did, except I used a $8 Craftsman socket because I don't live close to a Harbor Freight.

Old October 5th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
Pretty much just what I did, except I used a $8 Craftsman socket because I don't live close to a Harbor Freight.
Would all the welding have been needed if you started with a deep socket?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #30
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Would all the welding have been needed if you started with a deep socket?
No, but they didn't have any deep 36mm sockets at my Sears.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM   #31
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

what's the proper procedure for tightening up the steering stem nut? the SM says to lightly tighten the steering stem nut, then put the triple back on, followed by the 22mm stem bolt. after doing all this, then using the special spanner tool torque the steering stem nut to 11 ft-lbs. back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn, set the play in the steering. and then tighten up the 22mm stem bolt to spec 35 ft-lbs.

with the special tool you guys are using it seems you'd have to torque the stem nut to spec first, back off a bit, adjust the steering play, then install the triple and torque the bolt to spec. is that right?
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2019, 10:06 PM   #32
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Raising this thread from the dead, I'm about to service my swingarm and lube the pivots. Never done it before, but between YouTube videos from MC motorcycle about swingarm lubrication, cyclepedia.com service manual, the Kawasaki service manual, and this forum, I think I can tackle it. Wish me luck
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 19th, 2019, 10:54 PM   #33
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Piece of cake, you can totally do it! Unlike steerer, there's no adjustment needed. Grease bearings, replace O-ring seals, slap it back together and that's it!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2019, 03:52 PM   #34
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Piece of cake, you can totally do it! Unlike steerer, there's no adjustment needed. Grease bearings, replace O-ring seals, slap it back together and that's it!
Is there an aftermarket supplier for the o ring seals? Or can I only get em OEM?

Ive looked at all balls website but only saw stuff for the fork

Old August 21st, 2019, 02:15 PM   #35
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
No alternate suppliers I know of. It’s an unusual size. On last 4 swingarms I greased, only found one broken O-ring. So you may be Ok, carefully pry out O-ring with precision screwdriver before removing bushing. Depending upon how many you find broken, may need help to order some.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...shock-absorber
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2019, 11:30 PM   #36
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Finally got the suspension serviced. Swingarm pivot was dry as a bone, and the needle bearings were shot. They took significant force get them rolling, so I ended up buying new bearings.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.