ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Question for you computer geeks… I mean… computer experts

So at school, the internet sucks. The classroom that most of my classes are in are on the opposite side of the building. Couple that with the fact that theres avery limited bandwidth, and the fact that ~20 people try to use the internet at the same time in my class, I have a very hard time getting a decent connection. I've been trying to come up with a solution, but haven't found any. But I do have an idea: Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to block off a section of bandwidth? Like, could there be a way where I could block off X megs so that no one else could use them, and I could use them when I needed? I know this may sound dumb (and selfish) but desperate times call for desperate measures.
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Unfortunately that sort of program is used by system administrators to cut down on "bandwidth hogs". Also if someone other than the SA gets caught trying to do something of that nature they can accuse you of low level hacking. So I wouldn't suggest trying to do that on your own, but do as you please and accept that there might be risks involved.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
kyrider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

It is a program called expelled. I would not recommend it.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

I understand and appreciate your concern, but I'm not the least bit worried about getting caught, and even if I was, getting into any kind of trouble. My school is weird, because there are two schools in one building. The school is on the Indianapolis International Airport's property, and only does aviation classes. Half the building is Vincennes U, and the other half is Purdue (my side). The internet in the building is technically only for the VU students, but me and the VU librarian are cool, so she gave me the password (PW=1111111111 lol). So really, the chances of me getting caught are slim to none. It would take someone seeing that a computer on the network is using such a program, then being able to trace it to my computer, which would be impossible because everyone on the network uses the same password. Also, the person who would be in charge of such a thing is the same lady who gave me the password lol… but are you guys saying there are such programs out there? Ever used one? Just curious

Old January 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #5
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

You're right, you don't know much about computers. You think it wouldn't be easy to trace you in a small network because everyone uses the same password? Hate to break it to you but it would take someone who knows what they are doing less than a minute to trace you on that network. The fact that you all use the same password has nothing to do with tracing you. That is done by tracing the signal, the IP, and mac addresses which is what is used to locate and identify computers on the network.

Yes, there are programs out there. But as I said before they are only for system administrators to be used on the system that is controlling the network. The system that is the host system of the network would have the power to overturn your control and block you. I'm not sure if other computers in the network would be able to control the bandwidth allowances without the permission of the host system and the system administrator.

If you are that cool with the SA, I would suggest talking to her about before trying to control the bandwidth of the network. You may be cool with her, but you never know what can happen if you get caught taking advantage of someone's trust.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #6
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

What kind of cell data plan do you have? I use my cell as a hotspot some for my iPad. I have an unlimited 3G data plan though.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #7
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
What kind of cell data plan do you have? I use my cell as a hotspot some for my iPad. I have an unlimited 3G data plan though.
I've got unlimited data on my iPhone, but I don't know how to tether that to my Mac...

Old January 26th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
I've got unlimited data on my iPhone, but I don't know how to tether that to my Mac...
Which network? Try it on AT&T and I'll kick your ass onto the 5gb plan. Try it on verizon or sprint and well, it probably won't be any faster than what you're getting at school
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #9
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
I know this may sound dumb and selfish
Yup and yeah.

Quote:
Go into your phone settings and enable "personal hotspot"

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #10
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
I understand and appreciate your concern, but I'm not the least bit worried about getting caught, and even if I was, getting into any kind of trouble. My school is weird, because there are two schools in one building. The school is on the Indianapolis International Airport's property, and only does aviation classes. Half the building is Vincennes U, and the other half is Purdue (my side). The internet in the building is technically only for the VU students, but me and the VU librarian are cool, so she gave me the password (PW=1111111111 lol). So really, the chances of me getting caught are slim to none. It would take someone seeing that a computer on the network is using such a program, then being able to trace it to my computer, which would be impossible because everyone on the network uses the same password. Also, the person who would be in charge of such a thing is the same lady who gave me the password lol… but are you guys saying there are such programs out there? Ever used one? Just curious
They would trace you using ip, mac and various other identifying traces your computer will leave. password is irrelevant.

As far as how you could do it, there are two ways. One is to gain access to the network cut bandwidth for all computers on the network then grant your computer full access. you should be able to throttle all the other computers enough to give you the bandwidth you need.

The other would be to set yup a proxy, Run all the connections through a proxy that limits total bandwidth then you connect with out going through the proxy. This one depends on how the network is set up, basically you are wedging between the computers and the network switch.

It use to be if you were going to hack a network colleges were the ones to go after, fast pipes loose security but all the ddos and dns attacks have lead them to tighten up so not as easy as it use to be.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #11
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

jailbreak your iphone first so you can use the unlimited data when you set up the hotspot
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote