ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 23rd, 2022, 01:12 AM   #1
NinjaFinally
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): GPX250R 2006

I just changed the plugs on my 06 Ninja. Comments?

I had the tank off to clean and reconnect the pass wire that never made a good connection after I changed the LH switch block. Then I saw that I could get at the plugs, and the previous owner had given me a new set. These are what I took out - they look lean to me, and I don't know how old they are. Was careful to twist the plug boots to make a tight seal. New ones feel better, with more "pull" over the rev range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20220423150209.jpg (77.6 KB, 2 views)
NinjaFinally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2022, 10:50 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Well, impossible to really tell AFR because it's average over entire lifespan. To really use plug-readings, you want to narrow operating-range to short duration and only one operating zone, WOT. So to read plugs:

1. install new plugs
2. Run bike to redline WOT
3. immediately chop throttle and hit kill-switch at same time. This stops airflow through carbs that may affect readings
4. immediately pull plugs at side of road to take reading. Too much time passing causes surface to change

It's not exact science, more like reading tea-leaves. Modern tech like wideband O2-sensors are 1000% more accurate. Will tell you data that's impossible from reading plugs, such as mixtures being too rich at WOT and too lean in mid-range. Solution is smaller main jets and shim needle 1-washer. Conclusion you'd never come to by looking at plugs.

If that's true throttle-chop plug reading you have, I'd say they're spot-on perfect, don't change anything.

What really wakes these bikes up is 3D mapping of ignition. They can really use 10-degrees more ignition advance in partial-throttle mid-range. Yet keep current amount under WOT mid-range.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2022, 11:08 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Fuel additives will effect a plug read as well.

Another question is did you service the plug caps when you change your plugs? It a very overlooked service item

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2022, 02:28 AM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Here is my write-up on how to service the caps,

Short explanation: The inside of the hard plastic caps accumulate crud the can short out the spark. This can cause rough running or failure to start. Every time you do any work on the bike: remove them disassemble and clean them and renew the wires or at least the connections.

The long Explanation, Warning engineering information can cause Drowsiness.
The ancient cylinder design of the engine dictates that the spark emanate form the center of the combustion chamber. In order to get it there, the plugs had to be located down deep in a well between the cams. This well is a perfect place for dirt and moisture to accumulate. Then because there is no cooling water at this point the metal around the plug runs very hot. Surround this with the large amount of cool metal and you have a recipe for condensation. Now K did drill a drain hole between the fins to help (a little) but it often gets plugged up.

The moisture boils off the base of the plug and the vapor condenses on the cool plastic cap and the plug insulator. This moisture forms a easier path for the electrons to ground than jumping the gap at the plug to make a spark. Misfire.
This issue is right up there with Pilot jets as a cause of trouble.[/QUOTE]

Here's some pictures that might be helpful. I took these when I replaced the wires themselves, as it was a good time for a write-up, and the wires were OEM from 1998.

Wires are just 7mm copper core, with clear silicone jacket

IMPORTANT NOTICE: make sure to use a proper screwdriver, make sure it fits, as the parts are made of brass inside the spark plug caps

Important notice: the wire must be screwed on the spark plug cap, note the screw like object inside the spark plug cap?

Important notice: be careful to not loose the ferrules on the HT leads, these keep the wire from falling out of the coil. Below is an example of ferrules on a pressure fitting, looks familiar?

ZX-2R BLOG

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2022, 02:44 AM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Also if you wish, you could update to coil on plug here's the link to another one of my write ups

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241339

ZX-2R BLOG

Old April 24th, 2022, 03:23 AM   #6
NinjaFinally
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): GPX250R 2006

The plugs are of unknown vintage, it has 26K on it and I bought it 1k ago.
NinjaFinally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2022, 07:25 AM   #7
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
any bike "new to you" with no known service history ....its imperative to fully service.

Have you ever confirmed valve clearances?
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2022, 11:01 AM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaFinally View Post
The plugs are of unknown vintage, it has 26K on it and I bought it 1k ago.
Judging how they look I wouldn't be surprised if they are the original plugs.

So often these bikes are abused and neglected in oh so many different ways.

Very seldomly has any service been done on these bikes, they are passed around like that girl in highschool.

Whenever you purchase a used motorcycle no matter what kind or type it is, you always go through it top to bottom because in the end it's your safety and your time and your riding enjoyment that's a stake

ZX-2R BLOG