ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #1
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Name: m

Motorcycle(s): 2009 black Ninja 250R

Iron Butt on a 250r

Has anyone done the Iron Butt challenge on their beloved Ninjette? I have a group of ladies I ride with and at least 3 of us want to do it. They are on bigger Harley's so their ride will be a lot different than mine. I am going to do it though and I'm curious if anyone here has done it and what their experience was like. May help me to prep myself better. One thing I will be adding a a Corbin seat. I have just installed a powerlette last weekend that will keep my iPhone charged for the trip.
tiburonsita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A number of folks have. There have even been some folks competing in the Iron Butt rally (11,000+ miles in 11 days) on Ninja 250's! There's been a recent thread here asking how far folks have gone on their ninjettes:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50563

One poster in that thread who has even done 1500 miles in 24 hours for "BunBurnerGold".

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #3
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I have not done one yet but one thing I was told was to take multiple credit cards or at the very least call your credit card company and tell them what your doing. I know someone whose card was denied half way through his iron butt because to the company it looked like it was stolen. Good luck!
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #4
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50563

One poster in that thread who has even done 1500 miles in 24 hours for "BunBurnerGold".
Thanks! Saw that thread and the "BunBurnerGold" has some good reports - the one I read was on his 250. Not a lot of tips though. I did get some from reading between the lines w/his experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
I have not done one yet but one thing I was told was to take multiple credit cards or at the very least call your credit card company and tell them what your doing. I know someone whose card was denied half way through his iron butt because to the company it looked like it was stolen. Good luck!
That's a great reminder. I've had that happened while on family vacation and I would imagine that a multi-state trip would end them a big red flag. On my to do list now. Thanks!

Old August 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Best advice would be do "buns of steel" before you do "iron butt".

Old August 10th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I've read ride reports of at least one guy who did both the 1000m/day challenge and the 50CC. The 50CC is coast to coast in 50hrs. Both of these were done on the pre-gen ninjette just so you know.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Bob, Glad you thought of that. On my last tour, which was a trip to Quebec--around the Gaspe, that is exactly what happened to me. Fortunately, I had two more cards. When I got to a place where I had cell coverage, I called the CC Company and assured them that the card was indeed not stolen---went through the mother's maiden name drill.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

Barring some kind of change in seat and gearing/engine vibration, I'd never consider my beloved new-gen for long interstate drones. I did my first just the other day. It was one of those days when the bike just didn't feel comfortable doing anything under 60, so to the interstate I went. "One Lap of 465" later, my right hand was numb, and my butt was uncomfortable. And that was only 53 miles in 47 minutes. I know, I know, hardly blazing but some sections were 45mph zones due to construction.

I love my ninjette for an around town commuter and fun bike, but if I ever wanted to spend significant time on the open road, had an interstate commute, or was considering Iron Butt, it would be on another bike more suited to the task.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #9
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

I plan on getting at least one Saddlesore 1000 certificate on my 250. There's quite a few opportunities here in Minnesota for long distance rides:
http://www.teamstrange.com/
http://www.glmc.org/

Both groups are outstanding. I've ridden in many of their events.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #10
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

The Iron Butt Association Tips Archives of Wisdom are a good place to start:
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

A Ninja 250 has been ridden in the Iron Butt Rally four times:

2003 IBR, Leon Begeman - Gold finisher, 12th place

2005 IBR, Duke Dunsford - 59th place

2007 IBR, Alan Bennett - DNF

2009 IBR, Barry Bertram, riding my Ninja 250 from St. Charles to the end - 70th place

Here is a thread of day to day talk about the Ninja 250 in each of the IBR events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonsita
Thanks! Saw that thread and the "BunBurnerGold" has some good reports - the one I read was on his 250. Not a lot of tips though. I did get some from reading between the lines w/his experience.
What specific questions do you have? I'll be glad to address the ones I can.

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #11
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Wow, good luck to you! Subscribed for updates.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #12
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Sorry for the delay in response but I got sick and have been off my computer.

I don't have specific question but interested to hear what others have only found out once they did it themselves. Miles and times dont really say much - its the details along the way that I'm curious about. The most I've ridden in a day was just over 320. Found that my throttle hand would go numb from holding a position too long. I'm going to buy a throttle clamp for it tomorrow and hope it helps significantly.

Thanks for all the links. I've read the their tips section and will have a read at the others

Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Goldwing; 2009 KLR-650; 2011 Ninja 250; 2010 FJR-1300

I just did a Saddlesore on my Ninjette

I just completed an Iron Butt Saddlesore on Saturday (19 Nov) on my 2011 Ninjette. I posted a ride report this morning in the "Ride Report" forum. This is my fourth Saddlesore on as many different bikes and I had a first timer with me on his Harley.

Gregg Lenentine
Va Beach, VA
Gregg_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM   #15
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I did a SS1k this past October, but done it on my Connie. We're gonna do a 1500 next year and Im planning on taking the 250 I didnt have any problem with my credit card at multiple locations, but have an extra "just in case." All in all, it was an experience. I had such a crick in my shoulder I mosly road 1 handed the whole trip except for towns. Plus it got cold! So even in summer take warm clothes, you can always take them off if you get hot, and get a Camelback, I bought one and put the bladder in a cooler on my bag seat. Stopped at 2 gas stations and asked to fill up my cooler and they didnt even charge me

We had a guy (a group of about 11 of us went) that put diesel in his tank, realized it, so it took us about 45 minutes to get it cleaned out and refueled. that was about the only problem we had, besides a guy had a nighthawk 250 that had a range of 120, so we were stopping every 100 miles.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:59 AM   #16
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I fitted one of these make long journeys a lot more comfortable.
http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/mo...ise/16022.html

Steve

Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM   #17
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonsita View Post
Has anyone done the Iron Butt challenge on their beloved Ninjette? I have a group of ladies I ride with and at least 3 of us want to do it. They are on bigger Harley's so their ride will be a lot different than mine. I am going to do it though and I'm curious if anyone here has done it and what their experience was like. May help me to prep myself better. One thing I will be adding a a Corbin seat. I have just installed a powerlette last weekend that will keep my iPhone charged for the trip.

There are IB riders on ninja250.com. Leon has photos posted of his rigged ninjette for his completed tour. There ate many more "older" riders like me on that site. Lots of knowledge and self-fabricating (for larger fuel capacities, higher windshields, cargo bases for pillion etc.) among older members. Good folks too. Best of luck, especially as it's much more than just riding 1k miles per day. There are many "bonus" point opportunities etc. which take you farther afield. They wait extra days for some to finish, but to finish is a phenomenal feat so you won't pull up to an empty finish/welcome line.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #18
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I've done several 800+ mile single day rides, and am contemplating an IBR ride in the spring because it would only take an extra 180 miles. My pregen is essentially stock, but I added a Corbin saddle, foam grips, and changed the gearing by going up one tooth in the front and down one in the rear. I also have a Mikesshields tall euro windscreen. As for riding technique, I have a tank bag that I fill with water bottles and a folded up towel to act as a pad. With the bag on the tank I lay down on it such that my eyes are just above the edge of the windscreen and my helmet chin is resting on the forward edge of the bag, with my torso weight carried by my upper chest against the middle/rear of the bag (hence the towel pad). This allows me to completely relax my body and use just minor inputs from my hands for direction control. I'll also rest my left arm/hand on my left leg for periods of time. I haven't installed any kind of throttle clamp or cruise control, but my right hand doesn't seem to get tired.

My rides are primarily interstate, and I take a 5-10 minute rest/bathroom break every refuel, which is around the 185-200 mile mark. My speeds tend to be about 3-5mph faster than prevailing in order to reduce the number of drivers passing me (I consider being passed more dangerous than passing when I'm on a bike and most traffic is cars). So far using these techniques I typically arrive at my destination not tired at all, relaxed, and suffer no post-ride soreness other than the front of my neck from the stretched position.

Other minor observations: Saddle bags cut fuel mileage by at least 5mpg when cruising at fast highway speeds, 70-75mph. Cold weather does the same as carbs can't compensate for air density changes. Oil consumption is significant with stock gearing above 65mph; my new gearing has me at 8,500-9K at speeds over 70-75mph, oil consumption virtually eliminated.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #19
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

In an IBR stopping every 200 miles will make you days late at the finish line. Other than that and cruise control you sound prepared and importantly, determined. Best of luck if you go.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

An Iron Butt ride can be any one of a number of different types of challenges. The most standard is the "SaddleSore", which is 1000 miles in 24 hrs. Another example is the BunBurner, which is 1500 miles in 36 hrs. A BunBurner Gold is 1500 miles in 24 hrs. A neat one is the 50cc: Coast to Coast in 50 hrs. All of them are listed right here. Pretty much any of them can be completed on just about any road-worthy bike, though the more comfortable and more range it has, the more doable some of the more intense rides can be.

The Iron Butt Rally is a separate event, that occurs only once every 2 years, with many more applications than available spots. I've had a number of friends entered, and some have done quite well. At some point I hope to have an entry accepted for myself, and there's a chance I may make it into the 2013 field.

Old November 26th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #21
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Quote:
At some point I hope to have an entry accepted for myself, and there's a chance I may make it into the 2013 field.
Alex:

If you get accepted into the 2013 IBR are you doing it on your Ninja or your "K" bike? I threw my name into the 2013 IBR hat as well. Now just waiting to see if I am selected. If so, I will most likely run my 2010 FJR or maybe my 2006 Goldwing. Not sure yet.

Gregg

Old November 26th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I'll be buying a bike next year for it - likely a K1600GT, unless the new water-cooled RT is out by then and seems like a better choice. By 2013, my RT will be 8 years old, not something that I'd be fully confident in relying on for that amount of miles in that short a time period...

Old November 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #23
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
I did a SS1k this past October, but done it on my Connie. We're gonna do a 1500 next year and Im planning on taking the 250
Lucas:

I see you live in TN. What route are you planning on taking for your 1,500 miles (I assume in 24 hours) certification? I would think it would be pretty hard to do on a 250. Probably stopping for gas about every ~200 miles or so. Time wasting will definitely be your enemy, although it would be fun to try.

Gregg
IBA #485, Goldwing Darkside #646
http://va-ldrider.blogspot.com

Old November 28th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #24
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Hey gregg, this past one, the SS1k we went in a square, and I didnt like it very much as you had to make SURE you stopped at each corner for gas. This time we're thinking of heading west, and then turning around, pretty much in a straight line.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #25
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Lucas:

That seems like the logical thing to do. Then the only mandatory receipts should be the start, half-way, and end. I am looking to do a BBG on the Ninja but probably not this year. I may have to wait until spring and see if it is a go then. I still have a KLR-650 (thumper) that I need to do a SS1K on and next spring I am doing the 48-10 again (hopefully 49-10 this time) on my FJR. So many long-distance rides, so little time...

Old November 29th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #26
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I had planned on an SS1K on my Ninja until I fell off my house and messed up a couple of discs in my back.

Even though I put a ZG Touring windshield, Corbin seat, larger sprocket, and handlebar riser kit on the bike, it hurt to ride it.

The NT-700 seems better since I got a Sargent seat and made some other comfort mods. I have made two 800 mile day trips with the bike with no pain. This spring will be a go--good way to celebrate my 70th birthday.

Old November 30th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #27
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Alex: Best wishes on your SS1K. You have a very stable and comfortable bike to do it on. Just keep the wheels turning and the time-wasting to a minimum and you will get through it just fine.

Old December 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM   #28
M
ninjette.org member

There is another ride, which is based on the 50CC. It is called Why? Whynot? which is Why AZ to Whynot NC. It's a 2,200 mile ride within 50 hours. It's a bit more interesting, with the secondary roads in AZ and NC.

Why-Whynot ride report:
http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic.php?t=80264

For Iron Butt Association ride, remember that the rider, not the bike, is typically the weakest link. One can make any bike more suited, but the key to a successful ride is a rider that maintains a constant legal speed and keeps the wheels rolling.

Old December 1st, 2011, 01:11 PM   #29
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

There is also another version of that ride - Why? Whynot! Insanity (Arizona to Mississippi-24 hrs). This is more like a Bun Burner Gold as the distance is 1,576 across I-10 and I-20. Neither one of these certifications have had very many completions. The AZ-NC version has 3 and the AZ-MS one has 2.

Old December 5th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #30
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Quote:
At some point I hope to have an entry accepted for myself, and there's a chance I may make it into the 2013 field.
Alex:

Did you get into the 2013 IBR?

Old December 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yup, I'm in.

Old December 6th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #32
M
ninjette.org member

Alex,

Are you riding your RT or Ninja 250? A 250 (all F models) has been in the last four IBRs (and finished 3 of the 4). It's up to you to keep the tradition alive!

Old December 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I'll be getting a new bike for it.

post #22

Old October 25th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by M View Post
Crap. It looks like Alan was in a serious motorcycle accident yesterday. He is a fellow ninjette enthusiast, who even took one on the Iron Butt Rally a few years ago. Here's his CaringBridge site.

Old October 25th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #35
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Crap. It looks like Alan was in a serious motorcycle accident yesterday. He is a fellow ninjette enthusiast, who even took one on the Iron Butt Rally a few years ago. Here's his CaringBridge site.
Crap is right. Alex, please let us know if you hear any news on how he is doing.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #36
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Alex

Do you have any more info on Alan? I hate registering at sites like this.

I met and talked to Alan for a while in Denver at the IBA National Meet. This isn't being discussed on the LD Riders forum so maybe nobody got the word.

Gregg

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

There's not much on that site, other than this blurb:

Quote:
We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement during this time when it matters most.

Ask Alan what he loves to do (other than being with his wife Jennifer) and he'll respond that he likes to ride motorcycles. On 10/24/12, Alan suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle accident in the Ouachita Mountains in SW Arkansas.

Alan is currently in Fort Smith AR, recovering from his injuries in a local hospital. It will be long journey to rehab and recovery & this page will help to share Alan and Jennifer's journey.

~Michael Hickman & Lisa Landry.
I hope he's on a straight road back to health.

Old October 28th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #38
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Thanks Alex. I see Hickman and Landry were the authors of that write-up. Lisa Landry is the IBR's RallyMaster (as you know). Hopefully Alan will be well enough to participate next July.

I look forward to meeting you next July at the IBR.

Gregg

Old October 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #39
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

a friend just rode an old VTR250 (interceptor) from boston to cali via route 20. so ninjette could definitely do an iron butt.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #40
M
ninjette.org member

Greg,

Here's an update from Alan:
"I've managed to work hard enough in pt and ot that they're probably going to release me from rehab on tues or wednesday. my family is frantically working on my house to prepare it for me to spend a month of limited mobility.
the last week and a half have been interesting, in the least. the accident probably happened when i dozed mementarily on the bike. i'm actually getting a sleep study scheduled to coincide with my hospital release, so i can get the proper equipment to combat sleep apnea (which my dad has, and apparently runs in the family).
i've not seen any report of the accident (and am not likely to ever see one as no citations were issued) but i ran off the right side of us71 about 12 miles north of mena, ar. i remember riding through a lot of green stuff which i couldn't stop or steer on, when my progress was apparently impeded by a fence, and possibly a telephone pole.
the end result was a badly broken left tibia and humerus, both repaired with modern medical hardware (titanium, yeah!). the damage to my leg happened through the substantial armor on the front of my dual-sport style boot, so i imagine i probably wouldn't still have a foot without it.
the rest of me is mostly undamaged, save a lot of blunt force trauma (my mom says i look like an eggplant).
more posts when i have more info."

~M Hickman