Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:54 AM   #1
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Helmet Help Request from California Members

So, I've pretty much decided to buy a Kali Naza Carbon helmet. I've touted them in these forums after researching the crap out of my next helmet. I was looking at Shoei, Arai, Nexx and Kali and I'm pretty sure I want the Kali. Incredibly light weight, proprietary protective technology from aerospace industry owner/tech guy, locally owned California company using innovation to break into a very competitive industry. Carbon fiber helmet for under $400. Quality looks top notch and quality for price seems unbeatable. I really like the product and the company.

One problem: I want to actually hold one in my hands and try one on before I buy one. I really value my head and won't buy a helmet sight unseen regardless of how good it looks on paper. Well, I'm in California right now, and have been to two different dealers listed on the Kali website and neither carries the product. I've called a few more, and its the same story. They can order them, but that doesn't help me. I'll be in SoCal, Las Vegas, Central Cal, and NoCal over the next week and can get to almost any shop in those areas with little inconvenience, but I'm tired of driving to a motorcycle shop only to find they don't have my helmet. (Ok, that isn't completely true. I dig browsing in motorcycle shops, and would be poor as a crack addict if Barbados had one.)

So . . . for those California (or Las Vegas) Ninjette members - has anyone actually been to a motorcycle shop that carries Kali helmets? Just give me a name, and I'll be able to get to it.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:14 AM   #2
geoff2k
Chicken strips R US

Name: Geoff

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2007 Ninja 250 EX250F, Silver 2007 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

I assume you've already called/emailed Kali directly and asked them for dealers along your route that might have actual stock? Seems like it would be in their interest to help buyers find their products...
geoff2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM   #3
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2k View Post
I assume you've already called/emailed Kali directly and asked them for dealers along your route that might have actual stock? Seems like it would be in their interest to help buyers find their products...
Yup. Did that day before yesterday. No response yet and my vacation time in California is burning down quickly. I suspect they may not have data on which of their authorized dealers actually have helmets in stock. They'd know who bought helmets, but not who still had any on the shelves, perhaps. Either that or they just haven't gotten around to answering me yet. Either way, given my time constraints, I thought I'd try here while I wait for them.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I haven't seen them nearby at the two or three shops I frequent, but haven't been specifically looking for 'em yet either?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM   #5
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

if you get it set up a review x] i want this one to replace my exo 500 someday x]

Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:03 PM   #6
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Are you sure it's not just because it saya "Kali" on it?

Haha, that's a cool plus anyway! Sweet lid.

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Yup. Did that day before yesterday. No response yet and my vacation time in California is burning down quickly. I suspect they may not have data on which of their authorized dealers actually have helmets in stock. They'd know who bought helmets, but not who still had any on the shelves, perhaps. Either that or they just haven't gotten around to answering me yet. Either way, given my time constraints, I thought I'd try here while I wait for them.
No reply after a couple days? Wonder how long it would take to get a new visor or something if you needed it? I would vote pass just on this.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Look into the brand shark. Its what I have, If you are interested in trying it on I have mine

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...Helmets%3ARSR2

Old July 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #9
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

You can try contacting Motostrano. Not sure about stock, but they tend to have a few of what they sell online. http://www.motostrano.com/

http://www.santaclaracycle.com/

http://www.gpsportsonline.com/

Those are the local shops that I see that may have them up here in the Bay.

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Question, if you ordered the helmet online from any of these dealers, they don't allow returns? Sure you might be eating return-shipping costs, but that's better than getting stuck with a helmet you don't like. I say just get it online from a dealer that'll let you return it if you're unsatisfied.

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #11
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Yeah, I can return if I don't like it, and may end up going that route via RevZilla. Very disappointed in lack of response by customer service, though. As mentioned above, that doesn't bode well.

I did confirm with Santa Clara Cycle that they have them, so I may make a trip over there. Motostrano would be closer, I'll try them, too. Thanks, Tri, for the tip.

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #12
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

No problem bud. Good luck and let us know how you like it.

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Shoot me a note when you plan on visiting SCC, it's only a few minutes from home base.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #14
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Kali got back to me, which makes me happy. One of the reasons to go with a small local company is the customer service. Seems the issue was the July 4 holiday. Just in case anyone was interested, here is what Kali said.

> Subject: Kali Question
> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 16:02:30 -0700
>
>
> My name is Alli and I received your question about where to try on a Kali helmet while back in the states.
> Sorry its been a struggle to find us on the store room floors, we're trying our best and we thank you for your patience!
>
> My first recommendation is that you try out our partner and one of our best dealers, SF Moto during your visit in Lafayette. They are located here:
> SFMOTO
> 275 8th St
> San Francisco CA
> (415) 255-3132
>
> If this isn't a possibility there is a potential that you can swing by here to get fitted as well.
>
> Let me know what works for you and thanks for choosing Kali!
>

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #15
sarapacman99
Climb to Glory!

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R White (sold)

they're a real cool company to deal with. when i first saw the naza carbon on revzilla, my first thought was i needed a shaded visor.

emailed them early morning got a reply at noon. happy with Kali.

Old July 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #16
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Tried on the Naza Carbon today after months of wanting to. It is a freaking amazing helmet. Lighter than light, really well constructed. Finish was Arai quality. Inside pads super comfortable and clearly done right. Comes with backup internal pads to fine tune fit. Cost was under $400 for a great quality carbon fiber helmet. Has to be the best deal going --- if your head shape tends toward round.

They are round. Arai Quantum round. Hurt my forehead to wear it round. Had me wishing for a more oval fit. So despite best quality/price ratio out there, I won't be getting one. Lesson for anyone shopping for helmets -- TRY THEM ON FIRST! I was (and am) sold that this helmet and company are top notch and the value is great, but the helmet isn't the right fit for me.

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #17
kkim

what's your head shape?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #18
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Neutral oval. Arai Vector 2 and Shoei Quest fit very well. I think that is where I'm leaning now. Though I wish I'd had time to try on a Nexx XR1R while I was in Cali.

Old July 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #19
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Went with an Arai Vector in Kawi Green. Got it on closeout since it is 2010 model, and a great match for my 2010 SE Green.

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #20
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

^^^ Floyd, did you get a new bike? That doesn't look like a 250

Looking forward to your review on the Arai helmet. Sounds like we may have similar head shapes. The only real criticisms I've heard is that the visor system makes it a pain to change them and the side pods make the helmet noisy.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #21
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I'm probably late but just my 2 cents.
I'm a newbie (don't even have my bike yet) but I've tried on Shoei X12 for the first day of my Motorcycle course for 5 hours. And i wore my Nexx XR1R for the second day 5 hours. I can't say enough good things about the Nexx. Lighter, vertical view is ridiculously large in comparision. It got super hot and I felt like suffocating day 1 after 4 hours. None of that the second day even though X12 was Large and my Nexx is medium.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the X12 also but not nearly as much! Can't wait to test it extensively.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote