ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

rear axle lube?

hey folks. I decided to pull of the rear tire while I was doing my chain and front sprocket. Figured I'd clean the rim and shim her tush while I was at it. I noticed the axle was dry. Anyone know off hand if it should be lubed on our bikes? Thanks

Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:32 AM   #2
kkim

most definitely. I use a Belray waterproof grease. A very light coat of grease is all you need on the axle. Try not to get it on the threads. If you do, wipe it off as well as you can right before you reinstall the axle nut.

While you have the rear wheel apart, consider greasing the rear axle bearing. You'll need to carefully pry the cover/seal off the bearing surface. Once you get it off, push the grease into the bearing with you fingers as well as you can while turning the bearing as you go. The idea is to force the grease into the bearing and have it migrate into the inner portions as you rotate it. Bearings from the factory have very little/crappy grease in them. As an extra precaution. After you put the bearing seal back on the bearing face to seal it back up, I also pack the area right around the bearing with grease to prevent water from getting to the bearing to begin with.

the tire changing diy has some pictures of the area I greased external of the bearing face.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10296
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:36 AM   #3
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

No need to lube, because its running in 2 bearings. If there is dirt on it(the axle), you should wipe it off with a cloth.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:39 AM   #4
kkim

the problem is that without any type of lube on the axle, water will find it's way in there and eventually rust/corrode the axle to the bearing. The bearing may be fine, but removing the axle at that point is a real chore.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:49 AM   #5
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Well at least with my black bike, it moves so fast it will just spin off any rust instantly. Didn't even think about green ones and the problems it causes being slower, i am terribly sorry. Seeing as this discussion is about lube, we'll just leave it here, with black bike being clearly fastest, no need to discuss further.

I've never lubed the rear axle nor the front, just wiped it off. And it just wont rust, if you are in fact using the bike and not driving through saltwater on a regular basis(but then again, everything will rust). If you do lube it, no harm done, just follow the instructions from kkim. But is it needed, in my opinion, no.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:57 AM   #6
kkim

I've worked on bikes that are bone dry in there and corroded so bad it was difficult to get things apart without a lot of penetrating oil, hammer whacking and choice words. Will it rust together in one years time?? ...most likely not. Give it three to 10 years and I guaranty you'll wish you had greased that thing when you initially had it apart.

Black bikes will rust at the same rate if not faster than green ones... that I'll give ya.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:06 AM   #7
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Well, after 10 years you should have changed the bearings a couple of times anyway. Maybe not on the green bikes, since they never really get to work. I see your point and agree with it, time for me to get out of here.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:15 AM   #8
kkim

Have a good one, Simen. I can see why you have to leave so early, riding a black bike and all.

Aloha

Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

okay.i figured as much. I came across a youtube video of someone working on a bigger bike and they lightly lubed it. When I took mine apart there was nothing on it. So I didn't know if it should be or not.
kelly. I noticed the different seals on the whole assembly. I cleaned them up and plan on regreasing with this castrol chassis grease that I've had for ten yrs. I just can't get rid of this stuff.lol