ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 21st, 2021, 03:58 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Winter recovery

Was dealing with the aftermath of winter on my 250s now that spring has returned, and since it's my first winter with them (way back when I had my first years ago was in Nevada/SoCal so there was no winter) had a few issues causing the engine to not want to turn over. Suspecting bad gas or gunky carbs I emptied the tank, opened up the carbs and sprayed them out, then locked everything back up and put in fresh gas and primed the petcock.

My race 250 seems to be running ok, but @Momaru's 250 is behaving strangely -- more specifically I turn the choke on and the bike starts and quickly revs quite high (6-7k RPMs) but even if I leave it there for a good 30 seconds to a minute if I turn it off it falls down to sub-1000 and stalls after a moment or two. I tried to go over the carb lid screws and the hose clamps to make sure they were solidly torqued but otherwise I'm at a loss for what to do to diagnose further. Can anyone advise?

Old April 21st, 2021, 04:31 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It sounds like classic symptoms of clogged carb passages. These little carbs can get gunked up very quickly if left sitting without a fuel preservative mixed in.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2021, 04:46 PM   #3
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It sounds like classic symptoms of clogged carb passages. These little carbs can get gunked up very quickly if left sitting without a fuel preservative mixed in.
Figured odds were good for that being the cause; looks like I'll have to pull the whole thing off and scrub it out then. Time to take a lot of pictures so I remember what goes where when I reconnect it all.

Old April 21st, 2021, 05:51 PM   #4
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
THE poop, IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stabil 360 marine.jpg (51.7 KB, 2 views)
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.