ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2018+ Ninja 400 > 2018+ Ninja 400 Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 4th, 2019, 06:40 PM   #1
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Cheap slip-on - Anodizing Racing

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D8S618R/

This is a cheap slip-on that is quite popular on another 400 forum. Overall it seems to be pretty good, but there is some question about its durability. A number of people have reported welds breaking on the midpipe. For only $90, I consider it basically a throwaway and will be satisfied if I get any substantial life out of it.

The midpipe was a bit too small to fit over the OEM pipe. I had read a lot of horrible reviews of the cheap tailpipe expanders (rubber bands snap, pot metal crumbles, etc.) and I don't plan to need it frequently (ever?) in the future, so I just used AutoZone's Loan-A-Tool. They didn't have just the small expander available, so I had to get a full kit with multiple expanders and a cutter for $110 (temporarily charged to my card). After opening up the pipe 1-2mm, it all slid together quite nicely. I found the shorter set of springs to be softer, and much easier to install.

In some of the pics posted on the other forum, it looks like things didn't line up perfectly for people when their welds broke. Mine all seemed to line up quite well, though leverage from the fully assembled system could mask that. Mine appears to sit a bit lower than some others, as I've got a decent amount of muffler showing below the mounting strap. I feel like some of it may be improper installation (in typical cheap Chinese fashion, it doesn't come with any instructions) resulting in things mounted in a way that stressed them. I know next to nothing about welding, but I thought mine at least looked decent, compared to some of the pics from last year. I'm hoping the quality has gone up a bit since the early units.

It comes with a logo sticker, but it's just tossed in the box rather than stuck on the can. If you're not into advertising for companies that nobody's ever heard of, this is a great feature.

I weighed all the stock parts I took off and the Anodizing parts I put on for comparison:

In case you're not good at math, that's over 5.5lb removed.

I've only run it with the baffle. I'm not trying to make a ton of noise, though it's nice to actually be able to hear my engine. Here are some video clips by another owner for sound comparison:
Stock
Baffle
No baffle

I like the price. I like the sound. I like the look. I like the weight-savings. I like the extra room for my big foot. I'm worried about how well it'll hold up, but for $90 I won't be too upset if I get any decent lifespan out of it. When this gives out or I have an extra pile of cash laying around, I'll look into one of the name brand systems.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2019, 06:40 AM   #2
TwistedGray
El Jefe Brewing Company

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): All of the motorcycles

You paid $20 too much, lol. They are on Amazon for $70 and $90...it's the same one.

Anyways, the exhaust sounds good enough, the weight reduction is quite good, and it sure as hell isn't bulky.

The biggest issue I ran into was that the exhaust hanger doesn't meet the passenger peg mount, and mine was not as close as yours is (as shown in your photo). The L-shaped bracket they supplied did not work for me, so I made one myself, and it looks a lot better.

Anyways, as you noted it's cheap so whatever.

ps: It is far too loud without the baffle...you will set off alarms.

TwistedGray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2019, 03:44 PM   #3
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

You both paid too much $40 on amazon I think they were even less on wish if you really can wait. Had one on my SV650 since December, about 2000 miles so far with no issues.

Put one on the 250 today a lowside killed my area P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4552691E-0728-4319-BA44-EEBBAF80A682.jpg (235.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1343ABEF-3DA1-4F3C-BB2F-63CD7ACA66B1.jpg (137.9 KB, 19 views)
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2019, 03:57 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Removing 5.5 lbs is significant!

Now's the 400 feel compard to EX500?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2019, 12:41 AM   #5
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
yup, i covered that in my el cheapo threads. danno did phase 2.

Old June 7th, 2019, 04:36 AM   #6
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Appears Anodizing is selling on Ali as well. Prices have gone up due to tariffs, they're hiding it in shipping costs.

You figured after all this time, someone selling this stuff would've picked up some calipers and determined that exhaust's outlet is same diameter as middle-pipe adapter. Or maybe someone got ID & OD confused at factory.

Well, if weld breaks, at least middle-pipe adapter is cheap to replace.

Although this one appears to have thicker welds. They're running welding machines little too fast I think, not enough penetration.

Old June 7th, 2019, 08:19 AM   #7
TwistedGray
El Jefe Brewing Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
You both paid too much $40 on amazon I think they were even less on wish if you really can wait. Had one on my SV650 since December, about 2000 miles so far with no issues.

Put one on the 250 today a lowside killed my area P
Look how crazy high it sits on your 250 though! Nope, I'll pay the +$30 to avoid that, lol. Just my way of justifying twice the price

Old June 7th, 2019, 11:26 AM   #8
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
Look how crazy high it sits on your 250 though! Nope, I'll pay the +$30 to avoid that, lol. Just my way of justifying twice the price
That's intentional. He welded his own middle section to get it up out of way. Similar to Tyga Race exhaust.

http://tyga-performance.com/images/n...r-6d50eb31.jpg

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; June 8th, 2019 at 01:31 PM.

Old June 7th, 2019, 12:00 PM   #9
TwistedGray
El Jefe Brewing Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
That's intentional. He welded his own middle section to get it up out of way. Similar to Tyga Race exhaust.
Ah, gotcha

Old June 7th, 2019, 05:38 PM   #10
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
The biggest issue I ran into was that the exhaust hanger doesn't meet the passenger peg mount, and mine was not as close as yours is (as shown in your photo). The L-shaped bracket they supplied did not work for me, so I made one myself, and it looks a lot better.
You have to wonder if some of the people who reported welds cracking have that issue because they forced the supplied exhaust hanger to fit.

But that looks like a lot of exhaust for the money, holy cow. I mean compare it to DanMoto or whatever that cheap junk is that used to sell on ebay.

Old June 8th, 2019, 06:03 AM   #11
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
The midpipe that came with mine is definitely different from the 300 one pictured. Following the Ali link above, the 400 version is $10 more too, so that could explain the price difference on Amazon.

People had mentioned that it was cheaper via Ali and others, but I'm happy with my purchase. It was still pretty cheap, it got to my house in two days, and it bolted up 100% perfectly (once I expanded the midpipe a tad). I'm a perfectionist, so I used the proper tool to expand the pipe. I slid the parts together and made sure things were aligned. Honestly, it was a much better experience than I was expecting from cheap Chinese parts.

In pics posted on the other forum, I could see that the spring hooks weren't aligned. There's a pretty good curve to the midpipe, so obviously having that twisted on the header pipe is going to drastically change where the can sits. At least one person said they just used a hammer and block of wood to pound the midpipe onto the header. I put the mounting bracket on the back side of the peg, where the stock exhaust mount was; others put it on the outside. I wonder how many people just slapped all the parts together (there were no instructions, not even crappy Engrish ones, included) and forced things into position, putting lots of stress on the welds.

I'm really digging the Spark titanium exhaust, but it's like 10x the cost of this. I realize I bought a cheap Chinese part, but I think "a lot of exhaust for the money" is a great way to describe it. We'll see how long it lasts...

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old June 8th, 2019, 01:33 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Yup, great bang-for-buck upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
You have to wonder if some of the people who reported welds cracking have that issue because they forced the supplied exhaust hanger to fit.

But that looks like a lot of exhaust for the money, holy cow. I mean compare it to DanMoto or whatever that cheap junk is that used to sell on ebay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
In pics posted on the other forum, I could see that the spring hooks weren't aligned. There's a pretty good curve to the midpipe, so obviously having that twisted on the header pipe is going to drastically change where the can sits. At least one person said they just used a hammer and block of wood to pound the midpipe onto the header. I put the mounting bracket on the back side of the peg, where the stock exhaust mount was; others put it on the outside. I wonder how many people just slapped all the parts together (there were no instructions, not even crappy Engrish ones, included) and forced things into position, putting lots of stress on the welds.
Yeah, you can't have any residual stresses on parts. Everything should be fitted so they are in place with all bolts loose. Then bolts just keep it from falling off, but shouldn't be used to force things into position.

Old June 9th, 2019, 02:07 PM   #13
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
It is a race bike, it is intentionally much higher than a street bike (see my SV) in order to provide more ground clearance for the extreme lean angles we see. I made the piece from the area P header joint to the muffler (I also modified the header but they get 99% of the credit).
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2019, 09:49 AM   #14
TwistedGray
El Jefe Brewing Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
It is a race bike, it is intentionally much higher than a street bike (see my SV) in order to provide more ground clearance for the extreme lean angles we see. I made the piece from the area P header joint to the muffler (I also modified the header but they get 99% of the credit).
That makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Old June 10th, 2020, 06:21 PM   #15
6betbluff
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400

Just ordered mine, anything I need to know before installing ?
6betbluff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2020, 07:27 PM   #16
DannoXYZ

That’s a good buy. Comes with matching mid-pipe adapter for bolt-on installation on 400. Should be as simple as unbolt factory muffler and bolting on that one.

Old July 7th, 2020, 04:26 PM   #17
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6betbluff View Post
Just ordered mine, anything I need to know before installing ?
My only thoughts are in my first post.
  • The midpipe seems to be a tad too small for the header pipe. Use the proper tool to expand it a bit - if you don't have one, you can get it from Autozone's Loan-A-Tool for free (with refundable deposit).
  • Take the time to line the parts up properly. You shouldn't need to force anything. If your install ends up looking like my pic above, I expect you'll be very happy with it for the price.

I actually just checked mine over last week, because I hadn't really done so. I see no signs of any problems whatsoever. I'm glad it's holding up so well, other than not having an excuse to buy a full exhaust.

Old April 16th, 2021, 05:00 PM   #18
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

I've raced on a 08-12 Ninja 250 with these cheap Amazon exhaust, it burned off the ****** fake carbon fiber wrap first test ride, but other than that the weight savings was great. Since I've thrown on the full exhaust version on two different R3's, one is street/track build, the other is track only. Both have done great, I was in A group keeping up with a CVMA novice Ninja 400 and his S1000R friend out at Horse-thief.

For the price you can beat it, the full exhaust ranges from $140-180 depending where you buy it and for what bike. Drops a ton of weight, isn't overly loud, and on my R3's with stock air filter and PAIR delete, hasn't shown any signs of needing flashed yet, that's with over a year of riding and track days.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2023, 05:40 PM   #19
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
I'm going into my fifth season of using this exhaust. The only issue is that it's got a bit of rust on one of the straps where you can't really see it.

It was installed 2019/04/24 with 1,535 miles on the bike. It's now 2023/05/26 and the bike has 10,549 miles.

The longevity is nice, but it's not doing its part in pushing me toward buying a full system.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.