ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #1
lilninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki ninja 250

crack on fairing

I have a small crack on the fairing. it started under the bike and has moved up the fairing. its about 2 to 3 in. long. it happened when the bike was loaded into a truck. i want to stop the crack from spreading. any ideas of what kind of glue to use or other ideas. dont really want to repaint because its not really noticeable right now. thanks for any ideas.

Old April 8th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

To stop the crack from spreading, you have to drill out the crack. The current spot where the crack is, you need to drill at that point. The round hole prevents the crack from growing. Yeah, it doesn't look good, but it works.

You have to go with a pretty decent sized drill bit too. I'd rather see that than have a 100% cracked piece.

Don't drill right at the end of the crack, go a bit further ahead of it (not much though). The crack could be already starting directly underneath the paint where you can't see. So going a little ahead of it can prevent it from spreading.

Fixing the damage is another thing. First things first, stop the crack from getting worse...

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #3
dowmace
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Yup just like Apex said drill a hole just a tad bit beyond the end of the crack, I usually use 1/8" bit's for this step. Now you need to use fiberglass polyester resin and fiberglass weave mat to repair the crack. If you need detailed help you can pm me.

Old April 8th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #4
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Lisa - this link will have more than you are looking to do right now but book mark it for future reference. The hole you drill does not have to be that big. Start with a small hole and if it tries to grow you can always drill a larger hole. Have fun.

Old April 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #5
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I'd just go buy a new stock fairing for that side since its a 2009 model.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #6
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I did not drill mine out - we just used a fiberglass patch on the back of it that we got at advanced auto and overlaid it a few inches on both ends of the crack. It's held great for a year and a half now.

Old April 10th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #7
dowmace
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I did not drill mine out - we just used a fiberglass patch on the back of it that we got at advanced auto and overlaid it a few inches on both ends of the crack. It's held great for a year and a half now.
I know it looks fine right now, but I guarantee over time it's going to crack through the surface again, I've never seen a fairing crack stop until it was drilled out or the section cut out and replaced.

I'm not saying you didn't get lucky and it's the wrong way to do it at all, but I know from my experience it's better safe than sorry.

What kind of fiberglass did you use polyester or epoxy?

Old April 11th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #8
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowmace View Post
I know it looks fine right now, but I guarantee over time it's going to crack through the surface again, I've never seen a fairing crack stop until it was drilled out or the section cut out and replaced.

I'm not saying you didn't get lucky and it's the wrong way to do it at all, but I know from my experience it's better safe than sorry.

What kind of fiberglass did you use polyester or epoxy?
Maybe the problem is that you guys are using fiberglass to fix plastic. Any good plastic welder will tell you to not only use plastic to fix plastic, but specifically NOT use fiberglass to fix it.
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #9
dowmace
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASecretNinja View Post
Maybe the problem is that you guys are using fiberglass to fix plastic. Any good plastic welder will tell you to not only use plastic to fix plastic, but specifically NOT use fiberglass to fix it.
Plastic and fiberglass have near identical expansion and contraction rates when using a polyester resin on the fiberglass. I have been using fiberglass on plastic parts for years and years with zero problems of the fiberglass and plastic separating or otherwise. I don't happen to know any "plastic welders" in my area.

Old April 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #10
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASecretNinja View Post

I have to agree. I wouldn't drill any holes or use fiberglass. If you plastic weld it from the inside not only will it stop the crack but if there is no other damage the current crack will be hard to notice..