Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 31st, 2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Got a Center Lift Stand

Picked up a spider stand from SV Racing. The kit arrived on time, was well-packaged, and was as easy to set up as something from IKEA.
My only gripe is that the bracket holding the threaded bolt used for adjusting the angle of the mounting hardware was welded a few degrees off-square, which made the initial adjustment harder than it should've been.

I can start on rebuilding the front end of the bike. Kudos to Mr. Layton @SV Racing Parts.

Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2016, 02:14 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2016, 05:31 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
These things have interested me, largely because it'd make moving the bike around the shop in winter a lot easier. Would love to be able to simply spin the sucker at will and tuck it into a corner.

How stable? Just looking at it, seems like wrenching on things would be a bit iffy.

How much? I know the Bursigs are so costly it's prohibitive. I ask because the storefront has what appears to be multiple listings for the same stand, all of which have different prices ranging from $199 to $250. Also, is the bike-specific pin setup included in the price?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2016, 06:54 PM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
We've got a similar type stand and it's pretty stable. Had all three bikes up on it with no problems. I need to take a picture next time we lift one; I had one on my phone but it seems I deleted it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2016, 06:27 AM   #5
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
These things have interested me, largely because it'd make moving the bike around the shop in winter a lot easier. Would love to be able to simply spin the sucker at will and tuck it into a corner.

How stable? Just looking at it, seems like wrenching on things would be a bit iffy.

How much? I know the Bursigs are so costly it's prohibitive. I ask because the storefront has what appears to be multiple listings for the same stand, all of which have different prices ranging from $199 to $250. Also, is the bike-specific pin setup included in the price?
When I read your post I went outside and hung off the center of the bike while it was on the stand. It didn't deflect much (<0.5 in.) with my weight on it. There will be about an inch of deflection if you wiggle the whole assembly, but I don't imagine there are any maintenance tasks that require rocking the bike back and forth.

The SV Racing stand came out to be $250.95 in total. The Bursig stand is lighter and has bent square tubing for mounting the caster wheels rather than a section of plate. If I had the money, sure I'd buy it, but it seems to be a case of overengineering (or branding).

The stand is mobile, it's a pleasure to move. Just keep the floor clean to stop the casters from having trouble obviously. The mounting hardware specific to the 250 is included in the kit. It fits in the hole for the swingarm pivot and the empty plug above it.

Old September 1st, 2016, 06:35 AM   #6
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Another thing to note is that the stand comes with a set of screw-in pins that are meant to add additional support. These go through the tubing and dig into the ground a little. The stand works fine without them, but there's no reason to not use them when storing or working on the bike.

Old September 1st, 2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Also, the stand comes with a damper, like this one:

Link to original page on YouTube.