ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1
seanski41
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Are my tires okay? Pics inside..

I'm a new rider! Just took the MSF course with my roommate and bought a 2007 Ninja 250r with 6k mi for $2k. My buddy had a little more to spend and picked up a 636. I'm happy with the power and size of my bike - but I'm not the most stable in turns, and with ANY wind at speeds over 40mph I feel the bike being pushed from under me. I've been shoved into the other lane and almost off the road from the wind and felt like I had no control over the steering of the bike. I'm a light guy, around 140lbs.

It probably has nothing to do with it, but my tires are narrow and stubby as opposed to the wider smoother tires I usually see. I know that 250's shouldn't have massively wide tires thanks to some research I've done around the site but I'm not sure if I have the appropriate tires for my style of riding on the bike right now. That style, I suppose, is basic->sporty riding. I live in the city but the twisties right outside are nice and close by. I'd like to have more confidence, especially in the wind, as I'm assuming most of my turning issues are related to me being a new rider - although my friend with the 636 is fairing quite better than me in the turns already.

Would I benefit from different tires? These are quite new and I'm sure I wouldn't have that much of a problem selling them after getting others..

The tires are: Dunlop K630's. Rear: 130/80/16, Front: 100/80/16.

edit: I'm an idiot. These are OEM replacements. /facepalm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110601_172059.jpg (108.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110601_172122.jpg (75.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110601_172151.jpg (120.4 KB, 10 views)
seanski41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM   #2
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

They look fine to me...both of them look like theyve barely been run at all.

The wind wont blow you off the road unless you let it (assuming its not a tornado or hurricane). What happens is that it has a tendancy to push the bottom of the bike, and make it lean and it feels like its being blown over.. Just relax, and let it lean...you just concentrate on pointing it where you want it to go.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM   #3
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Are the tires dry rotted, or cracked at all? I'm a light guy also,(130lb) and the wind as taken me to some crazy places. You just got to learn how to deal with it, and ride proper for the conditions your in.

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:53 PM   #4
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Many people feel that the OEM Dunlops are very poor performing tires compared to most everything else on the road. My Dunlops were already dryrotted, cracked sidewalls and all, with only 2k miles on them, apparently the three years the previous owner had the bike it sat in the sun.

Here's a lot of good info on tires: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Tires

I'm running Kenda K671s as I do 99% highway and city commuting, I've been extremely happy with them and they're wonderfully priced.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #5
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

I'm bigger than you at 210 and I still get blown around a bit. Try not to tense up so much (grip the bars tight) and just give the bike imputs to point it where you want to go. Seemed to help me.
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

look better than the tires on my bike
Archerzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM   #7
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F

About the wind, I can tell you from experience that lots of what we perceive as wind gusts are really due to our natural reaction to grip down on the handlebars really hard when the wind blows. With such a tight grip on the bars, you are likely to make the condition worse.

Try this: Next time the wind is blowing, KEEP YOUR ARMS LOOSE! If your elbows are locked, then you are doing it wrong. You want as little pressure on the bars as possible while still maintaining control. You will find that the bike will react much better. I used to be scared of the wind too and would tense up so bad, but that's really the worst thing you can do.
1994Ninja250F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM   #8
seanski41
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone for the advice! Just went for a sick ride with a decent amount of wind - kept it steady and more loose. Counter-steering is my new best friend!

As for the tires, are what I have on there more all-terrain tires? Would I be better suited with a different size or style or am I really good to go on what I've got?

Thanks everyone.. here's some pictures of the bike from the ride.. inherently poor quality cell phone pics, sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110601_192938.jpg (106.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110601_192928.jpg (61.9 KB, 4 views)

Old June 1st, 2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Your tires aren't all-terrain, they are just pretty low-end street tires. They have a bad rap, and for good reason; the grip level is low, the feel isn't great, though they don't wear too badly.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM   #10
seanski41
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Your tires aren't all-terrain, they are just pretty low-end street tires. They have a bad rap, and for good reason; the grip level is low, the feel isn't great, though they don't wear too badly.
So as I'm riding with friends that all have over 600cc's, and will try to follow them to learn, to get around corners as smoothly I should probably get better tires... ?

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM   #11
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Yes, if you want to keep up with the 600's...id recommend switching to something else. I really like the dunlop gt501 series. They stick like glue, and hook up even when the tire temps arent ideal. Get em warmed up to 120F, and they are the tires of your dreams.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM   #12
seanski41
ninjette.org member

Besides wanting to improve as a rider and push my skills.... I just know I'm going to be following them and even if I'm being smart and not trying to blast through, I've already started to use the bike in front of be's line/angle/etc. through turns. Which actually has helped me, at least confidence wise.... but at a certain point....

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM   #13
kkim

get some better tires if you are even thinking of doing twisties.... hell, get some new tires, period. The ones you have are coming due anyway (if they are the originals) and as was mentioned earlier weren't a great tire to start with.

I know the Pirelli Sport Demons are a great, sticky tire for the pregens.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM   #14
seanski41
ninjette.org member

Thanks for your input everyone.. I'll look into all the tires mentioned and read around some more, but since were on the topic.. same size?

kkim- They're not original, they actually have less than 1k mi on them... hopefully I won't have much of a problem selling them.

Until I can get them changed... how hard do I really want to push them/myself?

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:31 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanski41 View Post

Until I can get them changed... how hard do I really want to push them/myself?
not very. they are a hard compound tire designed for long life and sacrifices traction in the process. while they will go around corners just fine, be wary of how hard you push and the sudden transition from traction to non traction.

spend the time before you change them put to learn how to ride the bike and to become smooth and flowing in your riding style.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:16 AM   #16
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Agree with being smooth & flowing.

It's fun to see how smooth you can be riding, transitioning into and out of curves, and shifting, too.

Installed a set Pirelli MT75 tires on a pregen. Like how they handle. Only problem a 130/80/16 for the rear is not available. Mounted a 120/80/16 on the rear with a 100/80/16 up front.

Enjoy your Ninja!

Last futzed with by exploring/carolina; June 2nd, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
exploring/carolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM   #17
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploring/carolina View Post
Agree with being smooth & flowing.

It's fun to see how smooth you can be riding, transitioning into and out of curves, and shifting, too.

Installed a set Pirelli MT75 tires on a pregen. Like how they handle. Only problem a 130/80/16 for the rear is not available. Mounted a 120/80/16 on the rear with a 100/80/16 up front.

Enjoy your Ninja!
How was it moving from the 130 to the 120 on the rear? Any real big difference?
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #18
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
How was it moving from the 130 to the 120 on the rear? Any real big difference?
When I purchased the bike had to do a few things to the fuel/intake system to get it running right, so replaced the tires with a MT75 set, too.

Did not ride twistys with the 130/80/16 rear. Can only speak to riding twistys with a 120/80/16 on the rear.

Have been riding heavier bikes (425lbs+) on twistys/sweepers and felt like I could carry more speed "into" the curves with the Ninja 250. MT75 tires are sticky.

I weigh in at 220lbs. Was happy with Pirelli MT75 tires handling and $132 for a set delivered.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

The stability in turns can be chalked up to both the tires and you being a newb.

While the tires may look new, they're probably original to the bike. Look for the date code on the sidewall. And even if they're for real "new" you would still benefit greatly from better tires. And by that I mean almost anything else is better.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM   #20
seanski41
ninjette.org member

I have a receipt for the front tire from Fall 2010 ... there's probably one for the back tire in there somewhere too. Either way, looks like after I get a bit more warmed up into the bike I need to get me some MT75's.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:04 PM   #21
pilot815
ninjette.org member

Name: Cory

Motorcycle(s): Mine: 09 KLR650 Wife: 05 Ninja 250

I kind of doubt that all your cornering issues are related to the tires. Ive nearly dragged the pegs on my KLR with dual sport (non-sticky) tires. Thats a tall bike and to scrape the pegs on that is a real feat. Not to mention loaded with aluminum panniers and other goodies.

Are you approaching the turns properly? Are you leaning properly? Are you acceleration through the turns? I some times shift down on the approach depending on speed and RPM to give me more of a sporty feel.

Remember you are on a 250. You are riding with guys on 650s. Different bikes and different rider levels. Dont be concerned with keeping up with them. Be concerned with learning for yourself.

I took my wifes Ninja out for the first time today. Tires are ok, not real grippy. The front even feels weird, but it did well in the turns. It was my first time riding it so i was taking the turns a lot slower than i do them on my KLR. Towards the end of the ride i had a feel for it. Take your time learning, its not natural but can be improved on with practice.
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #22
seanski41
ninjette.org member

^^ This is probably more of the problem. I'm getting better but it's only been about 2 weeks. Still trying to figure out what MY limits are and what the BIKES limits are.

I definitely need work on cornering, and I'm downshifting into turns (at higher speeds) usually with a quick hit of both brakes before making the turn.

As I tend to be sticking to the center line in the road, I don't like left turns. Nervous about going into the dirt past the shoulder, I guess?

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #23
pilot815
ninjette.org member

Name: Cory

Motorcycle(s): Mine: 09 KLR650 Wife: 05 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanski41 View Post
^^ This is probably more of the problem. I'm getting better but it's only been about 2 weeks. Still trying to figure out what MY limits are and what the BIKES limits are.

I definitely need work on cornering, and I'm downshifting into turns (at higher speeds) usually with a quick hit of both brakes before making the turn.

As I tend to be sticking to the center line in the road, I don't like left turns. Nervous about going into the dirt past the shoulder, I guess?
Just keep practicing. Just remember though when you are in a leaning through a turn following the yellow line all your body is hanging in the lane of on coming traffic.

Also remember its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. In the proper conditions you will be having more fun, and riding faster than your friends on 650s.
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #24
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

If you have not checked it out yet, the section about riding skills has some informative threads.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Really liking the Pirelli MT75 tires on twistys & sweepers, mentioned them earlier in this thread.

Old June 16th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #25
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I rode with K630's all last season. They do ok (but only ok) in twisties, but I would not recommend pushing them hard. They dont give much feel, and while I never had one break loose, they always felt oily and slippery to me. I elected to go with Bridgestone BT45 100/90 front and 130/90 rear because the rear has dual tread compound. They stick like glue. I've also heard great things about Sportdemons and GT501's. An additional note, if you decide on a tire that comes in a 90 height, it will correct your speedometer readings
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote