Old July 1st, 2014, 07:08 AM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
High side on wet intersection

Link to original page on YouTube.

Very nice cagers to help him out like that.

The rider wrote this about his crash:

Quote:
Many thanks to the 3 blokes who stopped to help me! If any of you recognise these guys please let them know that I am extremely grateful for their help! They were top notch guys.

In the end this was my mistake, but before people call me a noob I should point out that I've been riding for 4 years, I don't have a car, and I hate public transport. Therefore I have a decent amount of wet riding experience. While this was my mistake just remember that unfortunately everyone comes off eventually.

The only explanation I can really give about what I did wrong was that my bike had been stalling occasionally when taking off, so I'd gotten into the habit of applying a lot of throttle when taking off to compensate (My bike is experiencing what I suspect may be bad coils). This was the first day of rain for a very long time. I had filtered to the front, and I usually accelerate quickly to make sure I get out of everyone's way (after checking for light runners of course).

I remember hearing the revs rise very quickly, but I wasn't moving much, so I released the clutch very quickly and that lead all the power to the rear wheel at once. The road wet and oily, I lost traction and it fishtailed.

I've had people tell me I could have recovered from the fishtail.. but I honestly don't think I could have once it started. It just happened to quickly for me to react accordingly. I've gone through the footage, and timed that:
* I had 930ms (not even a second) between starting to fishtail and the bike peaking sideways.
* I had 1666ms (1.67 seconds) between starting to fishtail and my hands touching the road.

Also I'm bound to be told off by some people for not picking the bike up myself. As I mentioned in the video, I really didn't feel comfortable picking the bike up myself because I was shaking from adrenaline. The guy was offering to help me so I felt I better play it safe just in case I did something stupid (like drop it again). You'll note at 0:28 the bike doesn't even lift 1cm off the ground. That's because I stopped myself before I gave it a proper go.

Damage to myself:
* Carpet burn on knee from my kevlar jeans rubbing (lolol)
* Very sore inner thigh, which after a few days moved to my outer thigh. I was limping for about 2.5 weeks.

Damage to bike (Cost to repair so far $390.60 including labour):
* Bent Handlebar (replaced)
* Bent handlebar raisers
* Oil leak from cracked seal (replaced)
* Bent radiator mount
* Radiator dislodged off mount (remounted, is now slightly off centre due to bent mount)
* Bent clutch lever (Replaced)
* Dent in fuel tank
* Scratches on top box
* Scratches on pegs / mirrors / etc.

I'm not going to bother fixing anything cosmetic. To me it's like a battle scar for my bike. It only cost me $367 to get it fixed and running + $23.60 for a new clutch lever. But, I'm still waiting on replacement handlebar raisers and radiator mount.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Yeah, it's really easy to get loose in the wet. Hell, I've been going along an onramp to get on the interstate, and just accelerating to ~70, only slightly leaned over (on my CBR600RR), I wasn't even on the gas real hard. I just nipped on the white line, and I felt the rear tire spin and slide just a bit. It didn't fish tail, but I let her drift back off the line....

I don't like to ride the CBR in the rain. It's just too damn twitchy with all that power. I used to ride my PC800 in the rain all the time though (through some serious floods even).
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:25 AM   #3
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
I used to ride my PC800 in the rain all the time though (through some serious floods even).
I'm imagining you pressing a button on the dash and the wheels retracting up into those fairings turning it into a boat They look like they could be buoyant.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I'm imagining you pressing a button on the dash and the wheels retracting up into those fairings turning it into a boat They look like they could be buoyant.
Ssshhhh...don't tell!
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 12:29 PM   #5
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Why do you think big bikes have traction control
Steve

Old July 1st, 2014, 04:25 PM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Who would ride in the rain?

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Very nice cagers to help him out like that.
Kudos to the cagers !!!

As for the rider, ............ it seems that he needs to ride more in rainy conditions, ............ or not at all.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:31 PM   #8
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post

Old July 4th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
The rider wrote this about his crash:
I've had people tell me I could have recovered from the fishtail.. but I honestly don't think I could have once it started. It just happened to quickly for me to react accordingly. I've gone through the footage, and timed that:
* I had 930ms (not even a second) between starting to fishtail and the bike peaking sideways.
* I had 1666ms (1.67 seconds) between starting to fishtail and my hands touching the road.
Note that the rider suddenly closed the throttle just before the fall:

Copied from:
http://www.dinamoto.it/dinamoto/index_eng.html

"High-side fall of a motorcycle during thrusting:

This example shows the simulation of a "high-side" fall, due to the driving force.
  • Frame 1 In a curve the rider starts to thrust the rear wheel, therefore the longitudinal driving force increases, as does the total friction force;
  • Frame 2 The total friction force reaches the limit value, the rear wheel loses grip and the rear of the motorcycle moves outward;
  • Frame 3 The rider makes a mistake, reducing the thrusting force suddenly, and the rear wheel takes grip again;
  • Frame 4 The large side slip, which is still present, generates a lateral force impulse; the impulse torque around the centre of mass produced by the lateral force is not balanced by the torque caused by tyre load;
  • Frame 5 The result is that the motorcycle is violently twisted and pushed upwards."
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.