ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1
jc_ninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Question Bike Purchase

Hey,
I am new to both the motorcycle and ninjette community and had a few lurking questions before i made my first purchase. A local dealer has a 2004 with 500 miles on. It appears to be in great condition and confusing as to why it has so few miles. They want $2000 for it, is this a good deal or what is a good price for it? I am trying to buy this ASAP if you can help that would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance,
Josh
jc_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

The 250 Ninja is a great starter bike and is bought by many for that purpose. For some, it turns out that riding isn't for them and for others they feel ready to move on to a different bike fairly quickly. Either reason would be legit for this bike having that few miles. Likely it was traded in for a larger bike at that low miles.

Price-wise, I think that's about par for what a dealer is going to ask as they roll in some markup to cover some costs. They also frequently like to roll in other charges, especially if you're looking to buy the bike on a note instead of outright.

If you're new, I would recommend getting a much cheaper bike, one that's been dropped but otherwise runs well. The reason why is that you're pretty much guaranteed to drop your first bike within the first few months, at least once, and if the bike's already a little beat up you will have lost not much on value.

If you do get this bike, it should include for that price a full 500 mile service including valve adjustment and oil change, and it would be nice if the tires have been replaced with something better as the stock Dunlops are widely reviled as being a tire in name only. The original tires will also be fairly hard because they're so old, and may even be dryrotted.

Even with only 500 miles you need to look at fork seals, coolant/brake hoses, and cable housings for dryrotting and cracking. For that price, everything needs to be in like-new condition IMHO. I've seen 2006-2007 models for less with not much more miles, though rare, from private sellers.

Cash talks. Remember, if it was a trade-in the main purpose the dealer took it was to make the sale on a new bike. It's also probable the dealer gave the original owner less than $1,200 for the bike.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote