ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

A funny thing happened on the way to twisties (bent rim)

The pot hole was so deep that I hit China. OK...no damge to tire, no leaking air 3 days later and no noticeable change in feeling of bike.
What do we think....bang it out kinda pretty good for free.
Have a wheel guy bang it out for $50....or buy a new wheel for $XXXX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3470_1.jpg (98.6 KB, 7 views)
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm not sure I'd buy a new wheel off of that, but I would see if someone could get it straightened for a smaller amount of $. There have been a few recent threads on bent rims and what to do about 'em, here's one.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #3
kkim

how deep are your pockets... and how good is your medical insurance?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #4
eddiekay

OEM's are well over $400 so...pockets not as deep as that. Found this incredible repair guy....he has before after pics that are unbelieveable
http://www.framestraightsystem.com/General.htm
He's asking $130-$160 and 2 weeks turnaround so with freight...I'm up over $200 easy. Last try will be a salvage yard or maybe i can track down some of the guys on the site who swapped rears ? thanks for opinions .

Old March 15th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I would just bang it out myself. I've done it with tons of bicycle tires before with absolutely no problems, there is a bit of a difference but no way in hell would I pay more than $20 for someone to do it for me.

Old March 15th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #6
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

im young and invincible but i would just buy another rim. look on ebay...there's a lot of banged up 250r rims.

Old March 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #7
kkim

try and get the rim back as close as possible, yourself, but you need to be careful not to overstress the metal as you get it back into shape. That's what the experts are for.

once you get it back to a reasonable shape, use it until you can score a used rim on ebay.

Old March 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #8
eddiekay

I experimented heating aluminum rod with propane and it can be bent pretty easily. Thing is...rod is extruded...wheel is cast...any thought on heating it ?

Old March 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #9
kkim

no experience at all. try searching Google to find info on how to straighten a wheel.

know/understand what you're doing before trying just anything.

Old March 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #10
eddiekay

KK....do you...like know somebody at e-bay or something?. 60 sec after reading your post I saw a '10 wheel for $149. It appears they're selling the casting and tire as they make no mention of bearings that I recall.....if '09 bearings et al will fit....I'm gonna BUY IT NOW......this is cheaper than a repair!

Old March 15th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
KK....do you...like know somebody at e-bay or something?. 60 sec after reading your post I saw a '10 wheel for $149. It appears they're selling the casting and tire as they make no mention of bearings that I recall.....if '09 bearings et al will fit....I'm gonna BUY IT NOW......this is cheaper than a repair!
you can check online at cheapcycleparts.com if the part numbers for the rear wheels between years are the same. I guessing they will be.

as far as bearings. you shouldn't be reusing bearings once you have removed them from the wheel unless you have a neat trick to avoid pressure on the inner race of the bearing when removing. usually wheel bearings are pounded or pressed out, which in essence destroys them.

Last futzed with by kkim; March 15th, 2011 at 11:40 PM.

Old March 15th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #12
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Why didn't you just buy a used one while you were in China??

+2 on google on how to fix bent rims if you go do it yourself! This winter has been brutal on the roads!

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #13
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

FixRim.com They have a location near Farmingdale, I had my car rim fixed there, it was perfect. Ask 'em what it would cost to fix yours.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #14
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I would just bang it out myself. I've done it with tons of bicycle tires before with absolutely no problems, there is a bit of a difference but no way in hell would I pay more than $20 for someone to do it for me.
I've been a bicycle mechanic since the early 90's.
Bicycle wheels only have to support rider plus 20-40 lb. of weight at speed rarely exceed 30 mph.

Motorcycles wheel support rider plus 350-400 lb., I wouldn't risk safety of a wheel while traveling on public roads at speed well exceed bicycles.

Time for a new or used wheel that is not damaged, I bought a used rear wheel with cush drive, rear sprocket & tire last year for less than $65 with shipping.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #15
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
I've been a bicycle mechanic since the early 90's.
Bicycle wheels only have to support rider plus 20-40 lb. of weight at speed rarely exceed 30 mph.

Motorcycles wheel support rider plus 350-400 lb., I wouldn't risk safety of a wheel while traveling on public roads at speed well exceed bicycles.

Time for a new or used wheel that is not damaged, I bought a used rear wheel with cush drive, rear sprocket & tire last year for less than $65 with shipping.
I agree that you should purchase another rim. I said in my post that there is a bit of a difference between motorcycle and bicycle rims, the thickness is a huge factor. obviously you cant put a bicycle rim on a motorcycle because it's not meant to withstand the weight. I apologize, I wasn't implying to just fix it yourself and not worry about it, you will need to replace it for safety reasons.

Old March 16th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #16
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Why didn't you just buy a used one while you were in China??
LOL!

Anyway I'm with "A" on this one. See if you can find a new rim for cheap on ebay. A close second option would be to get a good mechanic to bang that sucker out for you. If your tire blows up at least you have someone to sue afterwards.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #17
eddiekay

All suggestions thankfully received.
Used dealer has one for $149 so, given that I've decided to do the used wheel and am due for a new tire anyway...I'm gonna take it off, heat it up and try beating it...hey, ya never know till you try ?

Old March 17th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I have some bent rims. Anyone know of a place that can straighten them and also powder-coat? I ask because it makes sense to send them in ONCE and it would increase the resale value (they have already been replaced). All of the local places say that they will only do car rims.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #19
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

I'm not sure if the Ninja wheels are aluminum alloy or steel, but if you have ever crushed an aluminum can, you should know that tensile strength of aluminum is drastically reduced once out of its original shape.

Most shops have the ability to "fix" a bent alloy wheel on cars, but simply would not perform the "fixing" due to liability. Those that actually perform the "fixing", do not guarantee the integrity of the wheel once "fixed".
Besides, cars would have 3 other wheels to support the vehicle if one fails.. motorcycles, not ideal when one of two fails.
I would look for an undamaged wheel on eBay just to be safe rather than sorry when the wheel fails on a ride.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #20
kkim

I know the new gen wheels are an aluminum alloy of some sort... certainly not steel.

Old March 17th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #21
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
...I have some bent rims. Anyone know of a place that can straighten them and also powder-coat?
The FrameMan
1645 Silica Ave. Sacramento, Ca. 95815
916/920-1010 916/927-9712
http://www.motorcycleframeman.com/menu.html

The Wheel Warehouse Inc.
4600 Gateway Cir.
Dayton, OH 45440
1-800-941-6400
937-291-2332
http://www.thewheelwarehouse.com/mot...eelrepair.html
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
The FrameMan
1645 Silica Ave. Sacramento, Ca. 95815
916/920-1010 916/927-9712
http://www.motorcycleframeman.com/menu.html

The Wheel Warehouse Inc.
4600 Gateway Cir.
Dayton, OH 45440
1-800-941-6400
937-291-2332
http://www.thewheelwarehouse.com/mot...eelrepair.html
They only mention restoring the finish. Nothing about powder-coating to change to a wanted color.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote