ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Ground to coil?

I'm installing the trail tech vapor on my 2009, just curious if the negative terminal on the coil would be an acceptable ground for the tach sensor wire?
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

What do your instructions say?

One of there instructions says to wrap a wire around a spark plug wire for tach sig

http://www.trailtech.net/media/instr...010-ELV-09.pdf
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #3
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Instead of that I connected the signal wire directly to the lead on the coil and got better results.

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #4
mike_k
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 25 (track), '02 Honda 919, '04 Honda NSR-50 (track)

Neither terminal on the low voltage side of the coil is grounded, so you'll have to use a different location. That mounting bolt toward the rear of the coil isn't grounded, either. I just installed a Vapor tach on my race bike, and it required a 600k ohm series resistor in the red tach wire to get a stable tach reading. You can get the cable with the 600k ohm resistor built in from Trail Tech if your kit didn't come with one. They sent it to me for free...

Since I removed my entire stock instrument cluster, I made all my connections to that square 9 pin connector--everything you need is in it. The ground wire is black with a yellow stripe, the tach signal wire is black, and the 12 V power wire is brown with a black stripe.

Also, be sure the Vapor unit is set for 1 pulse per revolution for use on the Ninja 250.

I can post some pics in a few days when I get back from racing this weekend.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #5
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Sweet, thats all I needed to know. Thanks

Old June 11th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #6
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

one question though. I got everything setup yesterday and went with the signal wire directly to the lead on the coil. Would I get more accurate tach readings going off the stock gauge signal wire?

Old June 11th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #7
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

I am using the cable with the resistor in it by the way.

Old June 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #8
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Could you take a pic of how you have the magnet sensor mounted, I can't seem to get a reading?

Old June 13th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #9
mike_k
ninjette.org member

The black wire on the coil is directly connected to the stock tach, so you'll get the same signal whether you connect at the black wire on the coil or to the black wire in the 9 pin connector. Alternatively, you could connect your tach to the green wire on the coil on the other side of the bike, which is the same pulse signal but timed differently for the other cylinder. This green wire doesn't go to the 9 pin connector, though.

I haven't found a good way to mount the magnet speed sensor, either. Mine is a race bike, so the speed sensor isn't a very big priority for me, but I'll let you know if I think of something.

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #10
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the update. With the speed sensor they gave me the curved one to fit the diameter of the fork which I couldn't get to pick up the signal, so I ordered this bolt type sensor to use instead. I figure I can make a bracket out of aluminum. I'll post picks when I get it done.

Old December 27th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #11
spicy mayo
ninjette.org member

Name: omar

Motorcycle(s): cbr 600rr, ninja 250

Digging up this old thread I know, but what model of the trail tech vapor are you guys using? Also looking to use this on a race / track only bike.
spicy mayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #12
mike_k
ninjette.org member

I think I got the Vapor model 75-700:
http://www.trailtech.net/75-700.html

Most any model will work for just the tach function. Just be sure to specify that you need the tach wire with the 600k ohm series resistor in it, or you'll have to add that on your own.

The brass temperature sensor from the 75-700 unscrews from the black plastic pipe it comes in and fits inside the new-gen Ninja 250's thermostat housing (replacing the stock one).

I never did find a good way to mount the speed sensor on the fork, but was never really motivated to do that for a race bike.

The Vapor will need to be set for 1 pulse per revolution for the Ninja 250.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:32 AM   #13
spicy mayo
ninjette.org member

Name: omar

Motorcycle(s): cbr 600rr, ninja 250

mike_k, thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I ended up with the 752-600 and the rpm sensor with the built in resistor.

The distinction between the different model numbers is for determining whether the bike has conventional or inverted forks, and air or water cooling.

For anyone else looking to pick one up just specify conventional forks, water-cooled, and that you'd like the raptor atv rpm wire.

Got it this weekend and wired it up and all went well, and the brass temp sensor did indeed fit in the thermostat housing, pretty cool.

Last question, how did you mount yours up? I'm trying to figure a way to use the mount included in the dash kit but it looks like it isnt going to be very straight forward.

Thanks again

-Omar
spicy mayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #14
duckracer
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1098 and 04 Ninja 250 race bikes

I picked up a used raptor version of the vapor, and I am addapting it to my pregen. I need to splice in the 600k ohm resistor, and wanted to make sure that it is spliced into the red wire which connects to the pos side of the coil. Is that correct?
duckracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #15
mike_k
ninjette.org member

I just mounted mine to a small tab at the center of the fairing stay. That tab may have been used to hold a wire harness in place for the instrument cluster I removed. So I bent it flat, and used one screw to hold the Vapor unit in place.

Most others I've seen mount it to that cross bar on the fairing stay, but that's where I mount a little video camera, so I didn't have room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckracer View Post
I picked up a used raptor version of the vapor, and I am addapting it to my pregen. I need to splice in the 600k ohm resistor, and wanted to make sure that it is spliced into the red wire which connects to the pos side of the coil. Is that correct?
Yep, it's in series with the red wire, so just cut it and solder or crimp each leg of the resistor to the two ends of the red wire you just cut.

Old January 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #16
duckracer
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1098 and 04 Ninja 250 race bikes

Thanks Mike. Soldered in the resister and hooked it up last night. Work's like a champ!
duckracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #17
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

I was just reading through this thread and I saw some of you couldn't find the right resistor in the store so I just want to point out you can combine resistors in order to create your desired ohm rating. For connection in series you take the cumulative total of the resistors. For parallel connection you would take the inverse of the sum of the inverses which would be ( 1 / (1/R1) + (1/R2) + (1/R3).......)

If you could find two 1.2M ohm resistors and place them in parallel this would give you half the resistance rating or the 600k ohm rating you were looking for. Likewise six 100k Ohm resistors could be connected in series to get the same rating. Hope that helps? Just make sure the power rating of your weakest resistor is at least the 1/4 Watt specified....
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote