ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 1st, 2022, 03:02 PM   #321
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsmith27 View Post
I just searched on google and youtube and it says the harbor freight compression tester is garbage because the Schrader valve is at the gauge. I swapped it for a new one and it’s saying the same thing. so since the Triumph I know doesn’t have a compression problem and is reading less than the Kawasaki then I have plenty of compression.

i.e. it’s still carb related.
all you got to do is hook it up to an air compressor hose and check it against the air compressor gauge see they match
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2022, 03:08 PM   #322
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

What year is your Triumph Marshal ? does it have the older AMAL 30mm carbs on it?
.... glad you found that the compression tester was faulty it's better that than having to tear into the top end on the Ninja ! LOL
still sucks that it was bad from the get-go !
....the thing is paying more for a compression gauge does not mean it will be any good either ! that is what really bites ! there is so much re-packaging
going on now days even by reputable companies that you never know anymore what your buying !...... guarantees don't mean anything anymore either, because they make you send it back to their company at your expense and they will check it out to see if you screwed with it or not FIRST... then if it's their fault they will replace it..... and some how that doesn't sound like a good guarantee to me ! LOL
Try that guitar string wire trick Ducattiman mentioned a while back to get around those corners inside the pilot circuit....
... i straightened a coil spring myself ( no guitar anymore) it was a small spring I had from a little box of springs off the shelf in the hardware store....
I straightened about 8" of it and gave the last 1/16" a slight bend so it would go around corners easy if it's turned just right and it worked for me
up to that carb cleaning it would not idle at all.... after that carb cleaning it did... so it did something ! HAHAHAHAH
myself ...I am still trying to figure out how to clean out the gas tank on my ninja sense the Kreem gas tank liner was falling off inside the tank !
I got 3 or 4 big wads of the paint out of there but that ain't all of it I am sure .....
what it needs is the petcock taken off and gas gauge taken off and the holes plated and a bunch of buck shot tossed in there and then turned on a rotisserie motor for a day or two......
.... but I am fresh out of rotisserie motors and buckshot !
..... man.....life's a bitch ! LOL

later !
Bob.......

Old March 1st, 2022, 03:15 PM   #323
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

that really is the answer Anthony ! you've mentioned it several times so I am guessing he doesn't have a air compressor !
he could set his air compressor ( if he has one) to 100 p.s.i. and then mark that on his faulty gauge ! and at least that would tell him something
Bob.....

Old March 1st, 2022, 03:52 PM   #324
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
that really is the answer Anthony ! you've mentioned it several times so I am guessing he doesn't have a air compressor !
he could set his air compressor ( if he has one) to 100 p.s.i. and then mark that on his faulty gauge ! and at least that would tell him something
Bob.....
Or just didn't see it

Old March 1st, 2022, 04:03 PM   #325
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

Name: Marshall

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 2006 Triumph America

I do have an air compressor. I have 4. I didn't explain the issue with the gauge. its not the gauge itself. the schraeder valve is not in the fitting. it is up at the gauge itself. so the 25" hose acts as the combustion chamber also which gives an incorrect reading every time no matter what. every video I watched said you need a tester with the schraeder valve at the head of the engine not at the gauge. testing it with the compressor will give a correct reading because the compressor is regulated
marshallsmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2022, 04:09 PM   #326
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

My Triumph is not a Meriden. It's a Hinckley. 2006 model year.

Old March 1st, 2022, 04:49 PM   #327
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I do have an air compressor. I have 4. I didn't explain the issue with the gauge. its not the gauge itself. the schraeder valve is not in the fitting. it is up at the gauge itself. so the 25" hose acts as the combustion chamber also which gives an incorrect reading every time no matter what. every video I watched said you need a tester with the schraeder valve at the head of the engine not at the gauge. testing it with the compressor will give a correct reading because the compressor is regulated
All the schrader valve does this release the pressure off the gauge
There maybe be a one-way check valve in main body
which kit did you buy ?
Like this one ?
https://www.harborfreight.com/compre...-pc-62638.html
or this one
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ter-62622.html

Old March 1st, 2022, 04:57 PM   #328
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Nice looking bike ! I don't like the exhaust wrap on it myself but I am Old school ! LOL
what happened to the oil tank ? must be in frame or they done away with it !
mine is in frame....
....that thing should get ya down the road really nice ! I love the seat looks sooooo much more comfortable than my 1977 stock seat ! HA !
.... I just came in from the shop where I got the gas tank back on the ninja
and new petcock and fresh oil and filter.... now comes the hard part of knitting the fairings back on !!! I wandered over and pulled the cover off the new RX4 and turned on the key and waited for the dash to do it's thing and then hit the starter and it didn't even make a full revolution and it was running... and it's been sitting for 3 to 4 weeks straight .... I didn't have the guts to try and start the triumph...... HAHAHAHHAHA I need my boots on to do that ! (yah that's a good excuse!)
.....temp made it all the way up to 61 degrees today ! IT'S LIKE wow COME ON SUMMER !!!!!
LATER ALL!
Bob......

Old March 1st, 2022, 05:08 PM   #329
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

and I bet the gauge is the problem not the valve..... the reason I say that is
the gauges themselves have been bad for the last 20 years ....at least the cheaper ones have been they must have made a zillion of them and sold them to everyone that they could because they just won't go away !
doing the air compressor test will tell you if the gauge is accurate or not
i bet it reads about 50% low.......
just stuff the end of the threaded end from the tester into the air gun and give it a blast !
Bob.....

Old March 1st, 2022, 07:37 PM   #330
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

I bought the quick connect one. The video that explains why it doesn’t read right is like the first or second video that comes up on youtube if you search “harbor freight compression gauge”.

I mean there’s absolutely no way the Triumph has 60psi.
@Bob KellyIII No oil canister, it has a sump. It uses 1 US gallon of oil. I made and welded a tray under the seat that’s not visible at all that holds all of the wiring and a 4 cell Anti-Gravity lithium battery.

It got to 58° here which felt amazing I can’t wait for t-shirt riding weather. it’s getting so close.

I’m thinking it is about 50%-60% low I can test it when I get off in the morning, I’m at work right now.

And the exhaust wrap was out of necessity. The Boston winter snow and rain and salt destroyed the beautifully chromed D&D slip ons. that’s what those are. So I had to linish them and paint them black and that was ugly so I wrapped them.

Old March 1st, 2022, 09:28 PM   #331
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I agree that the triumph is probably running around 110 psi to 120 psi
and your gauge says 60 psi..... ( about half uh? ) but I seriously doubt the hoses are flexing that much to give you the low reading ( they would be blowing up like a balloon !) it's gott'a be the gauge itself ! just test it with the air compressor try to get a good seal and
then fill the compression gauge with it and you'll see just how far off the gauge is when you compare it to the air compressor...
what's a little rust eh ? it's a Triumph it can handle it ! she's tough !
that salt can take off the chrome really fast ! flat black paint should'a looked good on that .... yah it's not as snazzy as the chrome but what the heck it's cheap !
I did notice the void under the seat ! that looks great.... bare bones look !
but no i didn't notice a box under there you discized it very well !
My bike has the triumph burgundy/red paint on the tank and white I always liked that color ! plane red not so much, but the burgundy to me is really gorgeous !
what was the problem did the carbs just get dirty ?.....
Yah man 60 degree is the lower end of riding weather for me ! you still have to bundle up good but it is do able if your not going too far !
I rode from Reno to Redding one time on a Yamaha DT250 hit snow over Mt lassen but lucky it wasn't sticking .... by the time I got to the Ranch I was one frozen critter I tell ya.... and I had on all my leathers too
but.... Mom's car broke down in the drive way and she needed her son to come fix it so I did..... 3 days later I was back home and that ride back was even worse !
I swore I would not ride a motorcycle in the cold ever again..... but of course,..... I have ! HAHAHAHA
....I have riding gear now I would have killed for back then in those days !
I suppose I should get electric everything and just plug in to the bikes battery..... but most of the electric underwear I have found is battery operated and i don't want that ! changing batteries has got to be a pain !
but my Hot weather riding gear is perfect ! I've never had it so good I'm protected by the padding and fully ventilated by the mesh jacket it's PERFECT for hot weather ! got the Mesh pants too if it's real hot !
I remember stopping and putting a newspaper under my bomber jacket one time..... and pulled it up to under my chin..... that time I had mittens on and that was the warmest my hands had ever been in the cold ! Mittens ROCK !
problem is I can't trail brake with them on ! lol
..... the things we do so we can keep riding !
Bob......

Old March 1st, 2022, 11:01 PM   #332
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
I agree that the triumph is probably running around 110 psi to 120 psi
and your gauge says 60 psi..... ( about half uh? ) but I seriously doubt the hoses are flexing that much to give you the low reading ( they would be blowing up like a balloon !) it's gott'a be the gauge itself ! just test it with the air compressor try to get a good seal and
then fill the compression gauge with it and you'll see just how far off the gauge is when you compare it to the air compressor...
Gauge will read spot-on when tested with air-compressor. But will be off when used to test compression... huh.... what?@!#€!?!

Ok, let's step back and see how compression in engine works, in simple terms; not gonna worry about gauge-pressure vs absolute-pressure or anything. Let's say each piston displaces 125cc of volume as it moves and down. Then at very top of stroke, it squeezes all of that 125cc into tiny 10cc pocket at top in head. That's combusion-chamber volume, eh?

So there's some sort of factor there, some sort of ratio? Let's just divide original swept-volume by final volume: 125cc/10cc = 12.5:1 ... wow! That's compression ratio!!! Manual says we should see something like 150psi pressure inside that combustion chamber when piston sucks in full breath and compresses it (WOT). Ok, great... ideal scenario....

However, what happens when you stick hose where spark-plug used to be? It adds volume to combustion-chamber. Let's say volume between tip of hose to bleed-valve at gauge is about... 10cc. Now your combustion-chamber is 10cc original +10cc of hose = 20cc !! Now those pistons are shoving 125cc of swept-volume down to 20cc instead of 10cc. So compression-ratio is now 125cc/20cc = 6.25:1 instead of original 12.5:1 !!!

Wow! So pressure in head+hose must be lower now than before, right? How much lower? Well, let's take ratios of ratios: 6.25:1/12.5:1 = 1/2. So 150psi*1/2 = 75 psi!!! So gauge is working! It's just not able to account for extra volume of hose!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2022, 05:43 AM   #333
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

@Bob KellyIII I really don't know what was wrong with the Triumph. I have taken the carbs off at least 5 times in the last 2 months cleaning them because of it running bad and this time I did absolutely nothing different. I have no idea what did it unless it was the new vacuum caps. The bike came with emissions and the previous owner removed it. It was air injection. It's really easy to delete it. 2 bolts and 4 vacuum caps.

I have a pair of heated Gerbing gloves that retail for close to $300 with the controller and I paid $180 from someone on CraigsList. Biggest waste of $180 ever. The fingertips completely freeze while the rest of your hands roast and sweat. I hate them but I lost one of my North Face roping gloves that worked no matter what the temperature. I was on the way back from Laredo and somewhere in Louisiana I slipped one off on the interstate to do something and it flew away. Needless to say it was 35º and I was still 7 hours from Tuscaloosa. One of the most painful rides ever. They don't make the goatskin roping gloves anymore which really sucks. they were so comfortable and so dexterous with the hand controls.

I was going for the barebones look on the Triumph. you cant see wire anywhere on the bike I wanted it to look like a retro bike with no battery. The stock setup had the battery on the outside on full display and it was insanely ugly, like so ugly.

@DannoXYZ I'm just going off what the four videos I watched on compression testers said, the four different people said the same thing with three different brands of testers. only one person mentioned that the schraeder valve being at the threads of the head gives an accurate reading.

I will connect it to the compressor when I wake up. I've been up for over 26 hours helping the fools at work because they cant survive without me it seems. hire more people. I dont need to be there especially when I show up on my own to help. just ranting though

Old March 2nd, 2022, 06:19 AM   #334
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Gauge will read spot-on when tested with air-compressor. But will be off when used to test compression... huh.... what?@!#€!?!

Ok, let's step back and see how compression in engine works, in simple terms; not gonna worry about gauge-pressure vs absolute-pressure or anything. Let's say each piston displaces 125cc of volume as it moves and down. Then at very top of stroke, it squeezes all of that 125cc into tiny 10cc pocket at top in head. That's combusion-chamber volume, eh?

So there's some sort of factor there, some sort of ratio? Let's just divide original swept-volume by final volume: 125cc/10cc = 12.5:1 ... wow! That's compression ratio!!! Manual says we should see something like 150psi pressure inside that combustion chamber when piston sucks in full breath and compresses it (WOT). Ok, great... ideal scenario....

However, what happens when you stick hose where spark-plug used to be? It adds volume to combustion-chamber. Let's say volume between tip of hose to bleed-valve at gauge is about... 10cc. Now your combustion-chamber is 10cc original +10cc of hose = 20cc !! Now those pistons are shoving 125cc of swept-volume down to 20cc instead of 10cc. So compression-ratio is now 125cc/20cc = 6.25:1 instead of original 12.5:1 !!!

Wow! So pressure in head+hose must be lower now than before, right? How much lower? Well, let's take ratios of ratios: 6.25:1/12.5:1 = 1/2. So 150psi*1/2 = 75 psi!!! So gauge is working! It's just not able to account for extra volume of hose!

Dam , Danno you make alot of sense ! I stand corrected ! thank you !
so with that gauge (And hose) 60~75 is good to go.......
very interesting !
Bob.......

Old March 2nd, 2022, 07:51 AM   #335
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I bought the quick connect one. The video that explains why it doesn’t read right is like the first or second video that comes up on youtube if you search “harbor freight compression gauge”.

I mean there’s absolutely no way the Triumph has 60psi.
@Bob KellyIII No oil canister, it has a sump. It uses 1 US gallon of oil. I made and welded a tray under the seat that’s not visible at all that holds all of the wiring and a 4 cell Anti-Gravity lithium battery.

It got to 58° here which felt amazing I can’t wait for t-shirt riding weather. it’s getting so close.

I’m thinking it is about 50%-60% low I can test it when I get off in the morning, I’m at work right now.

And the exhaust wrap was out of necessity. The Boston winter snow and rain and salt destroyed the beautifully chromed D&D slip ons. that’s what those are. So I had to linish them and paint them black and that was ugly so I wrapped them.
I see the hose itself is missing the valve

Old March 2nd, 2022, 09:54 AM   #336
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I just bought a compression tester as my old one is inadequate for the job anymore..... it's simple has fittings for different spark plug holes and has the check valve ar the spark plug hole end of the hose to the gauge...
....it'll be here March 4th or so ...it cost $29.00 plus shipping and the total comes to $32.00
I'ed put up a link but I lost it... i'll add it when Amazon sends me a conformation of the order.....
.... here's the link...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob.

Old March 2nd, 2022, 10:52 AM   #337
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

so I might be a huge moron, but the last time I had the chance to actually work on the bike we had a lot of people over and my cousin and a couple of friends were here helping out just spending time and we were “working on the bike” not much of that happened at all but that was the day I recorded that video of it running uneven. Well I pulled the carbs off just now and sat outside the shop because it’s the warmest it’s been all winter 64° and in the sunlight as I was opening them I saw that there was a stock 38 and a 40 in the other carb body I’m not sure if I did that or my cousin because we were both handling the carbs that day but I guess I have to take credit for that since it’s mine and I closed them back up. I’m sure that’s why it was bad right off idle.

Now I can’t find the idle jets. that was 2 weeks ago that they were opened and tons of people have been over here before and after the funeral. I can’t believe that. I’m trying to find the idle jets right now. I can only find my large bag of mains.

just thought I would mention

Old March 2nd, 2022, 11:12 AM   #338
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

yup having help in the shop is only good as if the people follow orders and do what you say.... working on their own is usually not helpful at all
even helping you clean the shop.... because then you can't find anything !
....a one person shop is just that for one person not a bunch !
last night I was dismayed by not being able to find my small bag of tiny hose clamps... i know I bought some but where did I put them> so I started looking at all the associated parts boxes like parts that would need those clamps....
I found then in the box of fuel filters ! .... I put them with the rest of the hose clamps this time...where they should be in the first place.....
my shop is very small and everything in there is hidden in memory somewhere
but as I get older the memory fades and that makes finding stuff really hard sometimes !
....misplacing parts is common with me but I've come up with a fairly successful way to find what I need..... Association.... what does the part belong to, what is it like, and where did I put all of those ! i can usually find it in 10 minutes.... but tools that is another story... i have thousands of hand tools but kittle space to put them in.... if I am looking for a end wrench , i know exactly where all of them are scattered throughout the shop, a socket
I know where most of them are but some are buried under stuff in steel boxes that i don't use often.... I've sense decided that hanging tools on the wall is the best method....problem is I've only got 4 walls and all are at max capacity now.... LOL
Bob....

Old March 2nd, 2022, 11:45 AM   #339
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

thats exactly how this shop is. this one isn’t tiny though maybe 30’x25’. it’s absolutely loaded with tools and power equipment and then my mom has stuff out here and then since I had to move back home for a while because of covid I have stuff out here too and there no where to just put stuff so stacking is everywhere. there’s a desk but within a month of cleaning the shop it’s a foot tall is stuff. I just spent 30 minutes picking up hand tools and cleaning off the desk hoping I would find the bag of pilot jets and I don’t think they’re out here.

I think I am going to have to go and buy more pilots… I think I am going to buy like 4x 38, 40, 42 so I have extra

I thought there’d be a chance I’d have it running today

Old March 2nd, 2022, 12:24 PM   #340
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

I just found all of the original receipts and the jets that I have been looking for. The Harley dealership sold me 2x emulsion tubes and 1x 38 and 1x 40. I did not look at the receipt when I was there because they had closed 5 minutes before I showed up and they let me in. that’s why I just threw them in. they’re shiny. I never looked at their values I just assumed

y’all know what assuming does

this.

heading to order more now

Old March 2nd, 2022, 01:26 PM   #341
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

Turns out my notion was right. they still had the original sleeve of jets and it is a four pack and there are three in there and I ordered two so I was given the wrong ones

Old March 2nd, 2022, 01:46 PM   #342
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

I put them in pressed the start button, no choke and it ran like it should have the day I bought it. I was stunned. no choke just gas

Old March 2nd, 2022, 02:29 PM   #343
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL Amazing ! surprising how well a engine will work when everything has the right component in it eh ? HAHAHAH ! i'm happy for ya !
.....now get it back together and see how it preforms on the road....
don't trust it yet ! just test it good and let it build up your confidence in it !
then when you get the bug to take the Ninja to work instead of the Triumph
you'll have a good time ! hehehehehe
It's windy here, cool and quite windy been windy for 4 days now and it just won't quit ! that makes the 50deg air out there too darn cold to be out in !
but I have hopes of it getting warmer still ! I hope, I hope, I hope !
( not very likely but it could happen ! )
I decided not to mess with the inside of the gas tank on the ninja and just hope the filters do their job..... that's risky I know but I don't have too much of an option on that.... so I put the new petcock on there and hooked up the lines and everything looks like it should do the job. so i'll put about a half gallon of gas in it or less and check for leaks if I find none then I will fire it up !..... if that goes ok then I'll put the fairings back on and get it out of the shop !
then it will be shop cleaning and organizing time ! I've got to do something
to maximize space in there and be able to use the back room for wood working !
... the back room is a 8' x 12' long room that is filled with most of my wood working stuff and other junk it does have an outside door to that room
which I may just leave the shop door to that room closed and use the outside door..... if I can get the table saw and wood bandsaw and wood lathe in there
it would help give room to the metal shop !
no doubt I am a Hoarder as I have stuff from when I was 20 years old in there .... so it may well be time to let go of some of that useless stuff ! HA!
Bob....

Old March 2nd, 2022, 03:10 PM   #344
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Heh, heh... I still have boxes of Supra parts from 1st car as teenager. Thinking "someday" I'll get another one. But looks like I'll be getting newest model now anyway...
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2022, 01:10 PM   #345
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

Lol I have a lottt or parts for the 1990 300zx twin turbo that some stupid and oblivious woman pulled out and t boned me and parts for my 1995 hardbody that I don’t want to get rid of so I know how that goes. I tell myself I’m going to need them one day haha

Update 2: I just took the bike around the block. It ran so well. I swear it’s better than when I used to ride it. I had a new old set of Shinkos that never got put on because the bike was put away. I threw those on in a few minutes and adjusted the super rusty chain and went around the block! it was exciting to be back on it. I was sitting on the frame but all the same.

Now I know it runs it’s time to get to ordering parts and two dirt tires. I can’t believe how well it starts up and runs. it was always so hard to get this bike started

Old March 4th, 2022, 01:10 PM   #346
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

@Bob KellyIII get yours running now!

Old March 4th, 2022, 01:15 PM   #347
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

Link to original page on YouTube.

I don’t know why but I can’t remember how you said to post youtube videos but they just give an error when I select the youtube button

just a small clip. runs, rides and new tires

Last futzed with by Alex; March 18th, 2022 at 07:00 AM. Reason: edited video link

Old March 4th, 2022, 03:01 PM   #348
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

I think I'm going to have to have to gear down though since I will be trail riding.

It seems to run great. The brakes even still work but I will be flushing those anyway and putting new pads on. Pads look good but still.

Any recommendation on what I should gear down to? Even though I have owned this bike for 10 years I'm new to doing anything to it.

I'm ordering:
KZ400 tank
Chain
08-13 rear shock (it's taller and fits. more clearance)
Dirt tires
Some seat. haven't decided yet.
Lithium Anti-Gravity battery with a Rick's Reg/Rec
Some risers that come back further and are taller and some dirt bars
And the rest of the little things like lights and speedo and a frame hoop at the back

Old March 4th, 2022, 03:54 PM   #349
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL Mine is running.... best ever in fact but sense it is snowing outside I am not in a hurry to try and ride it ..... <GRIN>
got my compression gauge today.... had to repair the shop heater but other than that I've been inside out of the cold !
Bob...

Old March 4th, 2022, 05:16 PM   #350
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

Let me know how your gauge goes. I would like to have one handy around. The weather here is the worst. It was 39º this morning and then got to 84º. hottest day of winter so far. if you can still call this winter. I was wearing all black and boots and in the shop with the doors closed but one of the corner fans on while pulling the old tires off and putting the new ones on and I was seriously about to pass out. It got hot here so quickly. albeit I was kind of sick yesterday so I didn't really eat so thats part of it I'm sure. just a few days ago it was a low of 25º and a high of 44º. But it was nice to ride the bike with no jacket today!

So I just took the bike for a ride to my grandfathers. I had to do it quick because it was getting dark and I don't want to get hit since I have no lights or plate on it at the moment and I didn't want to get seen by the police. they were everywhere when I was on the road. go figure.

It runs pretty good but the low end seems to be missing. since I do not have the cluster on the bike I'm not sure of the RPM's but it takes off okay and then a little weak and the kicks in hard. I didn't realize this 250 had this much of a punch. I have 2 shims and 40 pilots and 108 mains. the bike now always returns to idle and never dips. it idles smoothly at a very low rpm too so idling has definitely been fixed. I don't think I need to go up in main jets for this RPM range so what is it that I need to fiddle with? more shims. I also should note that the diaphragm that I said was very hard to get back seated when I took the carbs apart yesterday it was no longer like that. it seated very easily so who knows.

Old March 5th, 2022, 07:03 AM   #351
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

so it's a bit soft on acceleration but then pulls real hard ? is that what your saying you want to address now?
lol....don't be riding around without your headlight on people in cars look for that now, your bike is completely invisible without it's headlight !
WOW you sure got good weather all of a sudden..... I got 2" of snow last night !
you might be a bit rich on the pilots and that's causing the softness of pull
on the bottom end..... that would be my guess (and I do mean guess)
last time I had my bike out it pulled hard from just off idle to red line
and it really surprised me the bike can go so frigging fast and only be a 250cc
i backed off the throttle at 70 mph and figured that was a good enough test !
I have no doubt that that bike can go 120mph down hill ! up hill not so much !
my gearing change screwed that up but she can cruse at a decent RPM all day long now !....at 75 ~ 80 mph.... WOOT ! ( 9k rpm if I remember right)
I won't be using the compression gauge on any of the bikes till I have cause to do so I put it in the bottom drawer of the tool box with the extra spark plug hole adapter wired to it so it won't get lost ! LOL
the bike is stock except for the muffler the P.O. added a new one on it for the sound.... but I am leaving it as stock as I can.... no sense messing with perfection ! LOL
Bob.....

Old March 5th, 2022, 07:47 AM   #352
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

I don't think its running rich with the 40 pilots. because how it is running now is far beyond better than how it ran with 38s. I initially bought two new 38 jets and it would not idle and it would want to die no matter how much I adjusted the AF screws and shimmed the needles. As soon as I put the 40s in and turned to 2.5 turns it idled right away and didnt stumble.

What got me is the rev range. how long the gears are because of the high redline. each gear feels like its never going to end lol. The Triumph revs to 7500 before it hits the limiter. I am going to buy a performance cdi at some point thats better running all around and starts better in the winter and it raises it to 8500. I'm looking forward to ordering that but for now since the Triumph is running so well I'm not going to mess with it. all my spare change will go to the Kawasaki for the time being. I added it up last night and I think it's going to cost about $600 to order everything for the Kawasaki. I dont see that being that much since I already own the bike and its so low mileage and has no rust. The valve cover has some bubbling but thats the only thing I could find when I lifted the bike on the ceiling winch that had any corrosion at all. I'm just going to paint it black and be done with that.

I did find out I owe back taxes on the bike since its sat unregistered for 4 or 5 years. For some reason my dad was paying for it for 4-5 years while it was under the tarpaulin on the side of the shop

Old March 5th, 2022, 10:52 AM   #353
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah the Department of motor vehicles is a thief origination !
here in CA. they are the worst in the nation, you have to pay licenses on it weather you use it or not... and sometimes you can put a non operation slip on it, BUT other times you can't ! its a scam ! and even if you put a non operational slip on it you have to pay through the nose when you do try to get it licenses again !
it's horrible ! and on top of all that you have to carry insurance on everything
if the insurance falls off the DMV will cancel your licenses on it even though you already paid for it ! .... it's the most criminal organization the government has !
usury, extortion, and fraud all rolled up into one ! but if you don't want to get thrown into jail you have to play ball with them..... it's totally wrong from the get go !
I am not real up on tuning the Ninja.... I just know the internal combustion engine real well, and these little marvels are a horse of a different color !
on 95% of them conventional knowledge is good ,but there is a large section where it is specific to the 250 Ninja alone.... and on that I am woefully lacking ! Danno and the other guys know the intricacies ....not me !
LOL....

Bob......

Old March 5th, 2022, 11:14 AM   #354
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

I didn't realize anything like that existed. thats ridiculous. If I wanted to go to a notary and get it notarized that its been inoperable then I wouldn't even have to pay the back taxes. Theres also a fee to get it reinstated but they wont charge you that if you tell them that it's been inoperable here in Alabama. I don't get the point of having to keep something registered that you don't use that doesn't really make any sense but extortion or to keep people from collecting vehicles which in that case is none of the states business.

The back taxes all together were only $30 something after tax. I wasn't able to get the tag when I went a few weeks ago because the state last year or sometime recently made it where you have to have insurance on a bike to get a plate. It didn't used to be like that. its been that way with automobiles for a while but never for bikes until recently. I have a family friend thats a notary and I'm tempted to go to her just so I don't have to pay the 30 something dollars

Old March 5th, 2022, 12:29 PM   #355
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

I don't want to make too many for sure statements yet but I took the bike for a ride in my neighborhood. There are enough straights to get up to speed and what I think I though was a weak spot is just hitting the powerband. It's pretty sudden though. Any of y'all that know these bikes well know if hitting the powerband is pretty noticeable?

with absolutely no fairings or gas tank or airbox and a funnel for fuel the bike is a little rocket. I would think it weighs about 260 pounds haha

Old March 5th, 2022, 12:33 PM   #356
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

yah because california has been doing it the rest of the states see a money tree and have been following suit..... the dam thieves are doing it to make money for the state and that's just not right we never got to vote on it it was just thrust upon us like you want to drive ? you do it our way !!!!
.... so now 1/4 of your income goes to keeping your car legal !
People here have been reducing their vehicles for years because of the expense of ownership imposed because of the DMV and I just got 4 motorcycles
extra because I want them...not because I need them and it is costing me big time !
this country needs an overhaul ! LOL
Bob.......

Old March 5th, 2022, 12:45 PM   #357
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

yes there is definitely a power band on these things ! from take off the pull is moderate till about 5k and from 5k to 8k its strong , 8 or 9 grand in RPM then hang on tight it really pulls hard from there to 12k
..... their really something ,,,I just wish the little bike was lighter
at 350lbs it's fairly heavy for a 250cc !
.....it will take a while to get used to it..... it's not a triumph where everything is at low RPM and it pulls that way all the way to red line ! LOL
my new RX4 is the same,,, pulls the same from idle till redline no surprises in there, it just goes !
but the Ninja definitely has a power band. you can feel it kick in around 5 grand and she gets up and goes !
Bob.....

Old March 5th, 2022, 02:17 PM   #358
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Yah the Department of motor vehicles is a thief origination !
here in CA. they are the worst in the nation, you have to pay licenses on it weather you use it or not... and sometimes you can put a non operation slip on it, BUT other times you can't ! its a scam ! and even if you put a non operational slip on it you have to pay through the nose when you do try to get it licenses again !
it's horrible ! and on top of all that you have to carry insurance on everything
if the insurance falls off the DMV will cancel your licenses on it even though you already paid for it ! .... it's the most criminal organization the government has !
usury, extortion, and fraud all rolled up into one ! but if you don't want to get thrown into jail you have to play ball with them..... it's totally wrong from the get go !
I am not real up on tuning the Ninja.... I just know the internal combustion engine real well, and these little marvels are a horse of a different color !
on 95% of them conventional knowledge is good ,but there is a large section where it is specific to the 250 Ninja alone.... and on that I am woefully lacking ! Danno and the other guys know the intricacies ....not me !
LOL....

Bob......
Yup that why I left Calif many years ago

Old March 5th, 2022, 03:25 PM   #359
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

since I have no cluster 5k sounds like the right number. it kicks in pretty hard so I wasn’t sure.

I just changed the brake fluids and they were hilariously nasty. you could have served it to someone as coca cola lol. they worked just fine but if I would have ridden for any amount of time it would have boiled pretty quickly.

I took it out just now and went down a half turn to 2 turns on the AF screws and that made it worse so I went to 3 and that REALLY did it. this bike will flip on me. it almost did twice. the light clutch makes it easy to do. I don’t have a seat on it and i have been sitting on the frame and I almost flew off the back I was laughing the whole time. one of the last memories I remember of riding this bike before I was ran off the road was racing my dad on this bike and he was on his race harley dyna on a really long overpass and it was nothing like this. he left me in the dust obviously lol. but the pod and the jets and no fairings makes a difference in power by a lot. this bike is GOING to be so much fun. I don’t think I’m going to need to gear down because that will only make it more flippy

Old March 5th, 2022, 03:29 PM   #360
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

this bike is definitely nothing like my 790 triumph haha. the triumph weighs less but is longer than practically all Harleys. the rake is long from factory. the triumph has a lot more power obviously than the Kawasaki. I started out with 130 stock mains and it has 158 in there if that tells you anything.

The girl I have been talking to for a while is from California and as much as she loves California she loves living in Alabama much more she says. this isn’t a politic channel y’all know what I mean, so the feeling is mutual all around lol

Last futzed with by marshallsmith27; March 5th, 2022 at 05:43 PM.