ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #1
manorat
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

New bike with new problems.

I just bought a bike a couple weeks ago. I got it off a bike shop that took the bike when the owner couldn't pay for work done. the work that was done (or so i'm told) was that the carb was rebuilt. When I looked at the bike it ran. I test rode it up and down the side walk in first and 2nd gear. seemed ok. Had the guy flat bed it to my house for me. I took it for a ride later that evening, and it rode alright, but not perfect, really didn't pull or accelerate properly. After riding around the block twice pulled in the drive way and nothing. It died and didn't start up again. It didn't start for a whole week after that. Then miraculously two days ago it started. and ran very rough. Now it runs and chugs at about 1000 rpm idle. Any gas causes it to stall. If it put the choke all the way on it'll rev up but still doesn't respond to the throttle. What can I do? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. This is my first post here, so thank you all in advance, i'm very excited to be a part of this community.
manorat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #2
SpYd3r05
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Just checking you did check gas level correct.... If so how many miles are on it...

Old July 27th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #3
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Well I would first call the bike shop you bought it from and see if they would be willing to help you. If that fails, it sounds as if the bike is starving for fuel. Verify the tank has fuel by peeking in the fuel lid and shake the bike if needed. Next check the petcock to make sure it is on "run" or at least on "reserve" if fuel is low. Just want to make sure it is no where in between. If everything looks good... it may be time to go back in those carbs to make sure there is nothing blocking the jets. Lets check the small things first.

BTW... welcome to the forum! I don't think you will find a better group of people than we have here!

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #4
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Well I would first call the bike shop you bought it from and see if they would be willing to help you.
+1

How many miles on the bike? If it was me I would be suspicious of an 07 having its carbs rebuilt. Have you checked the plugs or air filter? Also check for obvious air leaks around the carbs. Welcome to the forum
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #5
manorat
ninjette.org member

The bike has 7200 miles on it. I replaced the plugs already, I cleaned the air filter, yesterday I drained the tank and refilled it fresh. There is one thing that's strange. Yesterday I tried doing the oil in a tube vacuum test to sync the carbs and the second i'd crank it, the oil would go straight toward the right side carb. As if there was no vacuum to the left carb. I've been suspect that this line has been weak and not operating the petcock correctly. What are some other suspect vacuum lines? What could be causing the left carb to lack vacuum pressure?

Old July 27th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #6
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by manorat View Post
The bike has 7200 miles on it. I replaced the plugs already, I cleaned the air filter, yesterday I drained the tank and refilled it fresh. There is one thing that's strange. Yesterday I tried doing the oil in a tube vacuum test to sync the carbs and the second i'd crank it, the oil would go straight toward the right side carb. As if there was no vacuum to the left carb. I've been suspect that this line has been weak and not operating the petcock correctly. What are some other suspect vacuum lines? What could be causing the left carb to lack vacuum pressure?
You need to steady the idle before the sync can be done. Even my bike did that when I first tried to sync and mine was alomost new then.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #7
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by manorat View Post
What could be causing the left carb to lack vacuum pressure?
Sounds like you have something not mated up right on the left carb. See if it was installed correctly to the engine.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #8
manorat
ninjette.org member

So I pulled the carb for the first time. Opened it up, clean it up. I didn't pull any of the jets, but i sprayed them and blew air threw them. Put it all back together, and basically the same thing. Now i can give it gas without it stalling. What do i need to do. I really feel there something wrong with the petcock or the vacuum pressure to the petcock. Problem is i don't know how to tell what might be abnormal. Any ideas?

-Jeremy

Old July 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #9
kkim

take the carbs back out and clean them. if you didn't remove the jets and blow out the the jets and passages, you didn't really clean the carb. sounds like there is still crap in there. so much for the shop cleaning them.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...n_the_carbs%3F
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #10
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Before going any further, do you have clear title to the bike in your name? The reason I ask is that I've known two people who got vehicles this way and after they'd got the vehicle fixed and running the owner came and got it because the mechanic never followed through with the mechanic's lien procedure to cancel the owner's title.

It would suck for you to fix this bike up for the owner for free.

That being said, you should fully disassemble the carbs to clean using Brakleen (red can) and compressed air, especially the air bleeds and jets. I did the spray and pray method twice to no avail before finally getting it right this way. 14,000 miles later and it still runs and starts like a champ.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #11
manorat
ninjette.org member

Could a fouled jet cause the vacuum pressure in the left carb to be down? is there a way of checking to see if one carb is operating better than the other? My dad was staring over my shoulder while I was cleaning the carb and freaked me out about pulling the jets, saying I'd never get it back together. Fathers can be such pains sometimes. Anyway, if I need to pull the carb again, so be it but I want to know if there any any other tests I can do to see if the problem is just in one of the carbs.

Old July 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #12
manorat
ninjette.org member

So I just pulled my carbs again, and in inspecting it I discovered that the large black diaphragm at the top, to the main jet, one of them has a tear in it. I think I might have done this putting it together yesterday. What do I do? Is this going to be an expensive part?

Old July 28th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #13
kkim

it runs about $100. post a pic of it.

Old July 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #14
manorat
ninjette.org member

Here's a picture of the tear. I think I probably installed it wrong and tore it. What an expensive mistake. The dealer quoted me $164. Where could I get it for $100? Is this at all repairable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0093.jpg (35.0 KB, 7 views)

Old July 28th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #15
kkim

there are couple ways to go.

the first would be to try and repair the diaphragm. people have used vinyl repair kits... the kind you use to repair those cheap vinyl swimming pools.

second would be to buy a used set of carbs and switch out the diaphragms. a full set of carbs usually run about $100 on ebay.

last would be to purchase the parts new from an online source.

personally, I'd try to repair it first. what have you got to lose?

Old July 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #16
manorat
ninjette.org member

How strong does this need to be? Could I feasibly apply some silicone to the torn part to re-adhere the dangling piece of rubber?

Old July 28th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #17
kkim

you could try. it just needs to be strong enough to form a seal for the vacuum. be aware that gas does not let silicone adhere very well, so you might have some issues getting it to stick in that environment.

if I were you, I'd stick to repair methods that have already been proven to work, unless you enjoy experimenting.

Old July 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #18
manorat
ninjette.org member

I'm more a fan of time proven formulas. Where would i get one of these types of vinyl repair kits?

Old July 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #19
kkim

PM member TheDuck. He's the one who first figured out how to repair the diaphragms instead of replacing the entire unit.

Old July 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #20
manorat
ninjette.org member

So I decided to repair the diaphragm and it appears to have work. I reassembled the carbs and put them on. It sounded better but it was still not really running. After fiddling for what feels like forever I decided to swap out the vacuum line on the petcock with the one that goes to the cruise compensator. After swapping those out the bike almost runs like new. I think the whole time the vacuum line just wasn't supplying the carb with fuel, but my guess is that now the compensator isn't doing anything. Why would one vacuum line not be working? I'm not trying to tune the idle right and when I blip the throttle the revs sort of hang, I think there must still be some underlying issue, any thoughts?

Old March 23rd, 2022, 03:31 PM   #21
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
PM member TheDuck. He's the one who first figured out how to repair the diaphragms instead of replacing the entire unit.
I hate ressurecting a dead thread, but its a relevant, and an update. Yes, I repaired by diaphragm that I accidentally tore. When I went to clean the carbs this week, which is some 12 years later, the diaphragm repair is still intact! WINNER!
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.