ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 6th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #1
soonerbillz
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ex250

Shifting Woes....

Yesterday I took my '03 Ex250 to Hallett to get some time on the bike.. After initially having a minor issue with the fuel switch I had a great first two sessions and then the shifter started giving me a hard time.. kept hanging when downshifting and finally it got stuck in gear and I had to pull off track..
Recently after getting the build finished and I was test riding the bike around the shifter got stuck in gear and I just could not get the thing out of gear. I thought maybe a internal issues but I had all new gears and parts.. . when I pulled the clutch cover I messed with the engagement arms and manually turned the drum and was able to get it out of gear. I was looking at the shift shaft and arms and it seemed like the shaft had a lot of side movement and thought maybe the arms were getting hung up because of this . I had another shaft from a low mile motor and it looked in good condition so I put that one in.. Again it seemed to have the same issue.. to much side movement. The retaining clip seemed locked in and the arms seemed lined up properly on the drum. Buttoned everything up and took it out for a test and it shifted perfectly.. Sweet.. Flash forward to Hallett.. Everything is going good and bam it locks up in gear again. I took the clutch case off again, checked the arms and the drum... same problem. I manually turned the drum.. it fell out of gear and then the shifter worked again.. Anyone have any ideas?
soonerbillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbillz View Post
........... Anyone have any ideas?
Welcome to Ninjette.org, Scott !!!

Could you identify the part that is moving axially?

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #3
soonerbillz
ninjette.org member

Thanks,
yeah part is 13161... the shifter forks with the engagement arm that push/pull the shift drum.
I pulled the clutch case. clutch/basket off to check it again. Sure as hell i found the arms not doing the job. Turned the shift drum manually and again it's shifting fine. Put it all back together but this time I put 2 washers on the shift shaft 13161 between the left sprocket cover/shaft support and the shifter knuckle (part 13242) it did tighten up the play I described above to about 1mm. To it out and tried to duplicate the problem but is is shifting fine now and seems to be cured but who knows as I thought is was fixed before too..

Old July 6th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbillz View Post
Thanks,
yeah part is 13161... To it out and tried to duplicate the problem but is is shifting fine now and seems to be cured but who knows as I thought is was fixed before too..
You are welcome

Check that the separator 92027 is in place and that the end of the shaft is flush with the side of part 13242 and that bolt 130 has a good torque.

Lubricate everything that rotates.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #5
mr2peak
ninjette.org member

Name: james

Motorcycle(s): Hyper 821

Factory Pro makes a stronger shift springs, part 92144 in the top diagram. What you are describing seems to be a recognized problem with the new-gen bikes, and the pre-gen bikes are very similar in design.

See here, it's the "blue spring"
http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodk04.html

I'm about to replace all the springs I can get to in the transmission case (92144 on the first digrahm with the FP part, 92144 and 92081 on the 2nd diagram with OE). I have problems with false-neutral on this transmission that I didn't have on the one before and this seems to be the easiest and cheapest place to start.

FYI they are out of stock, but will be calling me when they arrive. I live near their offices and I'd be willing to grab you one and mail it out to you, they charge $14 shipping which is damn near robbery for what it is..
mr2peak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:09 AM   #6
soonerbillz
ninjette.org member

Yep. I saw the spring when I went to their site looking for answers but was unsure if that was a solution.. But whether it truly is or not any improvement I can do to toughen up this tranny is something I am interested in... Let me know when they are available and I would like one.. I am taking the spring(92081) that connects the two engagement arms down to a shop here local that carries a whole inventory of like kind stuff. I am going to try to find a more robust spring for that piece and see if that does not help too.
I looked over the net and really didn't see much on this kind of problems.. you said it's a noted issue with the late models.. could you post up a link to where I read some of that?
Thanks for the help!

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #7
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

all of my Kawis have a bit of trouble with false neutrals and getting hung up between gears. The ninjettes are worse than the 6R but it can be an issue for me even after painstakingly adjusting the shifter position to try and minimize.

I will be trying the spring from factory pro as well.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #8
soonerbillz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You are welcome

Check that the separator 92027 is in place and that the end of the shaft is flush with the side of part 13242 and that bolt 130 has a good torque.

Lubricate everything that rotates.

I'll double check on 92027... I don't quite remember that piece..
(next time I take it apart... hoping not having too!)

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #9
soonerbillz
ninjette.org member

Well I read this entire thread..
Though it is pointed towards the late model, as mentioned above there is very little difference in the pre gen and late model trans. So I guess all the issues are similar and my approach is going to be as well. my idea of replacing the arm spring with a stiffer one was corroborated by Alex. S and he went further with some ideas about mods to help keep the arms in place. I have work to do it seems...

Old July 7th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #10
mr2peak
ninjette.org member

Name: james

Motorcycle(s): Hyper 821

Well please keep me informed on what you end up doing, and I'll grab an extra "Blue Spring" for you (and whoever else would like one) when they are back in stock at Factory Pro.
mr2peak is offline   Reply With Quote