ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:37 AM   #1
jschatte
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Ninja 250

Problems getting bike running

HI, I would like to say ninjette is a great resource, I have done quite a bit of work on my 87 ninja to help it get running again. It has sat for a while so i kind of assumed worst case scenario and went over everything.
So far I have:
-Changed Oil & filter
-Installed new spark plug wires and plugs
-Adjusted valves (intake 0.004" and exhaust 0.005")
-Cleaned Carb
-Relined gas tank (was very rusty)
-Rebuilt petcock
-Replaced all fuel and vacuum lines, and installed a new inline fuel filter.

So with high hopes me an another member who has been working on the bike with me @Csmith9, we turned over the bike and it did not start! However it did kick over when I sprayed carb cleaner into carb 2, but not when i sprayed it into carb one.
-I know i have spark, i pulled both plugs and checked for spark
-I know I have fuel, I pulled the fuel line and when turning over fuel pours out of the line (both in reserve and on)
-I know we have vacuum, and resultantly air, because the petcock works.

SO this is where I am confused. I am pretty sure the problem is with the carbs, so I took them off. Initially I noticed two things, the gas has a yellow tint to it from the gas tank lining. Also the floats were set at 15mm, so I moved them to 17mm. Other than that I feel the carbs are pretty good, I cleaned the jets and sprayed carb cleaner through all the passages. I did not "wire out the passages" on the carb itself, perhaps this is also a problem?

Anyway this is my problem, I am pretty sure its something that can be figured out, so I am looking for help! any advice would be appreciated!
jschatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM   #2
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

The the kill switch on?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM   #3
mrcrunch
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I always remember from my dirt bikes as a kid:

If you have spark and you have fuel, it's the timing.

We used to use a straw to drop fuel directly in the cylinder (after pulling the plugs to verify spark). If it fired for a moment, then you had a fuel delivery problem. If not, you had a timing problem.

Those were two-stroke motors, not sure if that matters. We were ignorant to compression issues back then, too.
mrcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4
jschatte
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
The the kill switch on?
no, if the kill switch was on it wouldnt even turn over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrunch View Post
I always remember from my dirt bikes as a kid:

If you have spark and you have fuel, it's the timing.

We used to use a straw to drop fuel directly in the cylinder (after pulling the plugs to verify spark). If it fired for a moment, then you had a fuel delivery problem. If not, you had a timing problem.

Those were two-stroke motors, not sure if that matters. We were ignorant to compression issues back then, too.
Hmm yes It could be the timing, Ill give that a check too. The basic tests dont really vary much from 2 to 4 strokes i would assume.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM   #5
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschatte View Post
no, if the kill switch was on it wouldnt even turn over!
My 04 Ninja 250's starter/engine cranks with the kill switch on, so does my 01 Super Sherpa 250... some times people miss the most obvious, just trying to help.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:34 PM   #6
jschatte
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
My 04 Ninja 250's starter/engine cranks with the kill switch on, so does my 01 Super Sherpa 250... some times people miss the most obvious, just trying to help.
No I do appreciate the help. However I checked the spark and I had spark, which is a very good indication the kill switch is not on.