ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:42 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Stuck piston rings or glazed walls

What are the causes of stuck piston rings or glazed walls that would cause low compression? 2008 250 which sat for 2 years or so. Bike now currently has 1577 miles.

Wierd thing is bike starts and runs, doesn't have that fast get-up that I'm accustomed to and I noticed I burned through half a tank and managed 88 miles. Oil has a strong odor of gasoline.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
water in through the intake maybe? what does the coolant look like

Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Carbon and rust sit on the piston and form on the cylinder walls. When you try to start it the rings scrape the rust off. The powdered rust and carbon in the ring lands mix with oil and fuel and stick the rings like glue.
I have pulled the cylinder cleaned the rings and put it together and it started right up.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Strong odor of gasoline in the oil and the high fuel consumption lead me to believe that the bike is running extremely rich. This would also cause low compression readings due to the fuel washing down the cylinder walls. As well as the not so snappy performance. Check to make sure your vacuum petcock diaphragm hasn't ruptured allowing fuel to be drawn in through the vacuum sorce for it.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Agree with above posters.

In addition:

Check that the choke's plunge is free to close completely.

Also check that the carbs don't overflow while the engine is working, or that the level of fuel inside the bowls is not higher than specifications.

If so, the valves of the floats may need replacement.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
water in through the intake maybe? what does the coolant look like
Coolant level is normal and no contamination seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Carbon and rust sit on the piston and form on the cylinder walls. When you try to start it the rings scrape the rust off. The powdered rust and carbon in the ring lands mix with oil and fuel and stick the rings like glue.
I have pulled the cylinder cleaned the rings and put it together and it started right up.
Hope it's just this easy and no further parts are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce71198 View Post
Strong odor of gasoline in the oil and the high fuel consumption lead me to believe that the bike is running extremely rich. This would also cause low compression readings due to the fuel washing down the cylinder walls. As well as the not so snappy performance. Check to make sure your vacuum petcock diaphragm hasn't ruptured allowing fuel to be drawn in through the vacuum sorce for it.
Stock carbs so it hasn't been jetted or shimmed. What's a Quick way to test petcock diaphragm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Agree with above posters.

In addition:

Check that the choke's plunge is free to close completely.

Also check that the carbs don't overflow while the engine is working, or that the level of fuel inside the bowls is not higher than specifications.

If so, the valves of the floats may need replacement.
I didn't measure the float heights when I cleaned the carbs but th valves seemed to function normal. They were not sticking.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:05 PM   #7
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

The fuel petcock (fuel valve on the gas tank were the gas hoses to your carbs are attached) has a small black rubber hose going to it, this is the smallest diameter hose attached to the petcock, simply remove the end at the petcock and see if there is any raw fuel present. Let it sit for a while and see if a drip of fuel forms at the petcock. If any liquid fuel is present the rubber diaphragm is shot and needs replacing.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:04 PM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Okay. Well if that's the case, no leaky diaphragm. The gas tank has been sitting on the ground and no fuel has been leaking out.

Old March 4th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #9
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Ok, ruled that out. Now you need to find out how the extra fuel is making its way to the crank case. Do you by any chance leave the petcock in the PRI position when the bikes not running ?

Old March 4th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
.........I didn't measure the float heights when I cleaned the carbs but the valves seemed to function normal. They were not sticking.
You could have altered the heights by pressing on the floats; I would check it.

Quote:
Ok, ruled that out. Now you need to find out how the extra fuel is making its way to the crank case.......
If the rings are not working properly, compression should be low and enough raw mix should leak down into the crankcase during each compression stroke.

A compression and leak test would be advisable as well.
If positive results for leaking rings, then follow post #3.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #11
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Ok, ruled that out. Now you need to find out how the extra fuel is making its way to the crank case. Do you by any chance leave the petcock in the PRI position when the bikes not running ?
Nope didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You could have altered the heights by pressing on the floats; I would check it.

If the rings are not working properly, compression should be low and enough raw mix should leak down into the crankcase during each compression stroke.

A compression and leak test would be advisable as well.
If positive results for leaking rings, then follow post #3.
I guess I'll start tearing down the motor when I get some free time. I verified rings weren't sealing with a wet compression test.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #12
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

How low is the compression ? Engine warm or cold ? Throttle held wide open, although not always effective with CV carbs ? Also how many miles do you usually get out of half of a tank ?

Old March 4th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #13
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

I think compression built up to 90psi. Cold engine. Throttle held open. I think I use to get like 175 on half a tank?

Old March 4th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Anything below 125 and it will have trouble. 90 wont run. should be 150-200 or something is wrong.
I am trying to fix that problem now on a friends bike.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #15
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Seems odd, with so few miles, looks like its tear down time. Let us know what turns up.