ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old December 21st, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

The beginning and end of my riding career

First post

Let's see I'll start from the beginning

All my life I've loved motorcycles, as a kid I would put soda cans on my bicycle tires and pretend I was on a motorcycle. I just turned 21 this past June and this past September I finally bought a ninja 250. Found one on Craigslist for $1,800 08 250 with 2,700 miles on it had a few cosmetic damages broken mirror, foot peg, and some faring damage. Apparently someone came to see it before me took it for a test ride and laid it down turning back into the owners driveway. Before selling it to me he just had a full tune up done because it sat for a while before that. I had a friend who rides bring it home for me. I found all the parts on ebay and Craigslist really cheap and fixed it up. At first I bought the bike for the low cost and great gas mileage but I was instantly hooked. I learned how to ride very quickly with no prior experience 2 days after getting on it for the first time some friends and I took a little trip to Red Rock Canyon I live in Las Vegas by the way. I was riding everywhere even when we had a cold spell and the temps were in the 20's which is very rare for Vegas. I rode a lot with experienced friends who taught me everything, and I did tons of research on riding safety. I was doing great up-until this past Thursday night I was going home from the Palms hotel some friends and I got a suite for free and was planning a party that night. I was going home to change and pack up for the night. It was about 8 at night my house is only about 7 miles away but it's a very high traffic area with a lot of bad Vegas drivers. I'm riding home doing about 50 MPH in the center lane on Flamingo a 3 lane road good distance from the car in front of me. When I see traffic up ahead has suddenly stopped, I notice the right lane is clear. I signal, look and merge into the right when suddenly the guy in front of me has the same idea but he quickly signals for a second and swerves into the right lane. I brake hard to avoid hitting him locking up my brakes losing control and falling. I hit the ground on my left side and my bike continues to slide about 80 to 100 feet. I broke my left ankle in 3 places, sprained right wrist, and some mild road rash that went thru my gloves, pants, and leather jacket. My bike was towed to an impound lot about 15 miles away and now just for being there for 2 days it cost $400 to get out. The left side has bad cosmetic damage but appears to be running fine. I also got a ticket for care less driving and speeding the cop that came to the hospital to serve me the tickets said based on where I was and where the bike was I had to be going about 70 MPH. I find that hard to believe I was behind the same car in the center lane for a while how could I be doing that if I was doing 70. I don't know how good my chances are but I will definitely try to fight it. My family and friends all love my bike as much as I do but they are telling me to sell it. I hate to admit it but I think this is the wrong city for it, to many horrible careless drivers for such a small city.
jefe305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Sounds like user error.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to crash area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:30 AM   #4
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
MSF course???
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Don't give up. Fight the ticket. Take care of your ankle and move on. Maybe don't ride at night as much. Take the MSF course. Read David Huffs book ." Proficient cycling" . I don't think the crash was your fault. But you could have avoided it. Good luck.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:19 AM   #6
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Don't give up. Fight the ticket. Take care of your ankle and move on. Maybe don't ride at night as much. Take the MSF course. Read David Huffs book ." Proficient cycling" . I don't think the crash was your fault. But you could have avoided it. Good luck.
Great advice

I was planning to take the advanced MSF course soon. Yea I do more night riding than day riding vegas is more of a night city. I know the more I think about it I should of predicted what that car was most likely to do like I normally do.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:20 AM   #7
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/moved to crash area
Sorry about that. Thanks

Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:19 AM   #8
Racer x

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The MSF course is good. But study riding from books and other riding classes. Lee Parks is a good next step.

Riding at night is lots of fun. I also rode mostly at night. There are just different rules. That's all.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:19 AM   #9
EsrTek

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Don't give up...
I personally crashed my 250 twice, and my new Fz6r is now gone due to being hit from behind in Nov.

I thought about giving it up, after the fz was totaled while I was on it. I quickly decided I like riding and lookin into getting another bike now.

Get back on and keep more space...it's my plan
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:25 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Rotten luck man and impounding always blows.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe305 View Post
First post............. I hate to admit it but I think this is the wrong city for it, to many horrible careless drivers for such a small city.
Welcome to our site, Mitchell !!!

I hope you decide staying with us and with motorcycling.
An error becomes one only if you choose not learning from it.

Right now you have your passion and your fear on each end of a balance.
Passion comes naturally from the heart and fear is a demon that our mind creates.
We only fear what we don't know and understand.
Learning is the best way you have for making that balance tip toward your passion.

With better preparation, regarding knowledge, practice and skills, you could have avoided this catastrophe easily and completely.
This time you framed yourself for a crash a few seconds before things that could go wrong happened.
You can learn how not to repeat that riding mistake and that will always be a better alternative to quitting what you have loved since a kid.

Post #5 and #8 above are priceless; please read them again.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:45 AM   #12
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Welcome

Any one who doesn't ride bike will tell you to put it away/sell it if anything ever happens no matter if its something small or large. If you have the passion to still ride do it. Most every lawyer will tell you to always fight any traffic violation. As long as you can hold your self up straight in the court room you are fine, most cops use the idea of being worried to bully your statements around and make you confess. Just have confidence.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:51 AM   #13
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Crashes happen and result in bruises, even if to just the ego. Sorry you were hurt physically too. Sounds like it was quite a challenging amount of traffic for someone who has just started riding. In education, we call it scaffolding...you want to learn to ride first in an empty parking lot, then on rural or uncrowded roads, and build up to high traffic situations. This will help you build up the knowledge and experience you need to know yourself as a rider, your bike, and then you can start factoring in busier roads.
If you decide to ride again (which I would highly suggest!), take the MSF class FIRST, then take baby steps to build yourself up to riding crowded areas like the Las Vegas strip.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:00 AM   #14
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
First post

Let's see I'll start from the beginning

All my life I've loved motorcycles, as a kid I would put soda cans on my bicycle tires and pretend I was on a motorcycle. I just turned 21 this past June and this past September I finally bought a ninja 250. Found one on Craigslist for $1,800 08 250 with 2,700 miles on it had a few cosmetic damages broken mirror, foot peg, and some faring damage. Apparently someone came to see it before me took it for a test ride and laid it down turning back into the owners driveway. Before selling it to me he just had a full tune up done because it sat for a while before that. I had a friend who rides bring it home for me. I found all the parts on ebay and Craigslist really cheap and fixed it up. At first I bought the bike for the low cost and great gas mileage but I was instantly hooked. I learned how to ride very quickly with no prior experience 2 days after getting on it for the first time some friends and I took a little trip to Red Rock Canyon I live in Las Vegas by the way. I was riding everywhere even when we had a cold spell and the temps were in the 20's which is very rare for Vegas. I rode a lot with experienced friends who taught me everything, and I did tons of research on riding safety. I was doing great up-until this past Thursday night . I hate to admit it but I think this is the wrong city for it, to many horrible careless drivers for such a small city.
Soda cans? Didn't you have baseball cards?

You never finished the 10,000 mile newbie requirement.

What happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas.

There is a 100 word limit ( to my reading of posts).

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM   #15
80MPHdownhill
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Yes, please.

I had the same philosophy when I started riding streetbikes:

"1 crash limit." As soon as I crashed, my riding days would be over.

That was in 1985, and I still haven't hit the limit!
80MPHdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:32 AM   #16
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Bummer... Sorry to hear about your crash and injury. I hope you heal up quickly and with no lasting impairments. Lots of great advice here on how you can learn and improve from this experience. If you have a passion for motorcycling you shouldn't give it up but that is something only you can decide.
I personally avoid night riding as much as possible. It's harder for the rider to see potential hazards and for drivers to see the motorcyclist. Also the night time brings out all the worst drivers( drunks, crooks, deadbeats, etc.). Fortunately you don't have too many of those in Vegas.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:42 AM   #17
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Speed differential is such a common cause of crashes.

Any time you are going faster than the traffic around you the potential for a crash goes up, way up. Unfortunately, a lot of riders seem to believe that going faster than the traffic around them is the primary purpose of a motorcycle.

Go on Youtube and watch a few of the motorcycle crash compilations that are so common. If you're paying attention to it you'll quickly notice that speed differential plays a part in many of the crashes.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:52 AM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you will be able to get off the ticket easily in court. the cop gave you a ticket based on assumptions and ideas, and him thinking he's a big smart guy and gonna do some CSI vegas ****, no actual evidence. your best bet is trial by declaration. spend a lot of time and be detailed.

you may have given up riding for some reason (i guess the broken ankle?), but i'd like to point out the lessons for the other people who haven't given up

lessons:
1) should have taken msf where they teach you proper ways for braking and emergency swerving
2) should have practiced those things to the point they became natural (esp emergency braking- knowing how quickly you can brake is a very important thing you need to know. it determines if braking is correct or if you simply need to change direction a bit)
3) should have WORN GEAR, like protective boots to prevent shattering your ankle from a little crash at 50mph.

sorry about your off, these things happen. you shouldn't give up riding just because you had an accident though. do what you enjoy and make your own decisions in life though.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:53 AM   #19
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Speed differential is such a common cause of crashes.

Any time you are going faster than the traffic around you the potential for a crash goes up, way up. Unfortunately, a lot of riders seem to believe that going faster than the traffic around them is the primary purpose of a motorcycle.

Go on Youtube and watch a few of the motorcycle crash compilations that are so common. If you're paying attention to it you'll quickly notice that speed differential plays a part in many of the crashes.
heh. let me correct you.

speed differential -> WHERE PEOPLE WANT TO GET IN FRONT OF YOU is dangerous

speed differential where people cannot get in front of you, not an issue. let me guess, you'll say people can get in front of you at any time when lane splitting, right? ignorance.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM   #20
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
That sucks... Hope ya get your ankle healed up, an your bike back soon. :whattheysay:

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:57 AM   #21
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
heh. let me correct you.

speed differential -> WHERE PEOPLE WANT TO GET IN FRONT OF YOU is dangerous

speed differential where people cannot get in front of you, not an issue. let me guess, you'll say people can get in front of you at any time when lane splitting, right? ignorance.
Wow, you're so good at this internet forum thing, aren't you? I like how you chose to get there ahead of the situation and not waste any time by calling me "ignorant" right away.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:00 AM   #22
greg737
-

Quote:
let me guess, you'll say people can get in front of you at any time when lane splitting, right? ignorance.
Okay then, let me ask you a question... Why did you feel it was so vitally important to "beat me to the punch" on this particular item? Maybe you should put a little thought into your own motivations and ego.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:02 AM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Okay then, let me ask you a question... Why did you feel it was so vitally important to "beat me to the punch" on this particular item? Maybe you should put a little thought into your own motivations and ego.
because i'm tired of reading you talking **** on what i do every day with no incident.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #24
greg737
-

Quote:
because i'm tired of reading you talking **** on what i do every day with no incident.
Wow, aren't you just the spoiled little self-centered bitch?

You actually believe that just because you're tired somebody they should be made to shut up? Bet you're a treat to live with.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:08 AM   #25
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
no, simply that we both have opinions, and we're both entitled to share them.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:11 AM   #26
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
literally, the entire world, including california lane splits. it's only the other 49 states of the usa that don't split. but they must be wrong, right? it's not like asia has the largest percentage of 2 wheel vehicles. and its not like everyone splits there regularly. and its not like we have this thing called the hurt report that clearly states a lot of benefits.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM   #27
greg737
-

Quote:
no, simply that we both have opinions, and we're both entitled to share them.
Oh, now you're going to backtrack and act as if you didn't just say that you didn't want to hear my opinion? Everyone who reads this page will see what you tried to do to me.

(Maybe you could try to hide your behavior here on this thread by deleting the posts where you acted like a petulant little child.)

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM   #28
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hahahhahahahaha. hahahahhahahha. aaaahahahahha.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM   #29
Josh_kcco
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '04 Ninja 250R

Twist of the wrist 2..... Watch that!! Great info super sucky acting!!
Hope you make a full recovery, sorry for the bum ticket!
Josh_kcco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:17 AM   #30
greg737
-

Quote:
hahahhahahahaha. hahahahhahahha. aaaahahahahha.
Well, that pretty much says it all doesn't it?

I know from prior experience that you see yourself as an rather important guy and "thought leader" here on ninjette.org, but man, you sure do run out of juice quickly don't you?

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
greg737, let me explain something. when i say ignorance, i mean just that. how much experience lane splitting do you have? none? fancy. but you seem to have a strong opinion on it. i wonder why? what's it called when you have an opinion about something you have no experience with again? lets go to the definition of ignorance... "lack of knowledge or information"... so, you don't lane split as you have said plenty times before. so that satisfies the lack of knowledge part. but you love telling people about it? hmm.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:30 AM   #32
greg737
-

Quote:
greg737, let me explain something. when i say ignorance, i mean just that. how much experience lane splitting do you have? none? fancy. but you seem to have a strong opinion on it. i wonder why? what's it called when you have an opinion about something you have no experience with again? lets go to the definition of ignorance... "lack of knowledge or information"... so, you don't lane split as you have said plenty times before. so that satisfies the lack of knowledge part. but you love telling people about it? hmm.
Are you trying to talk down to me? You don't know me. You don't know what my educational background is or my professional expertise.

You're beginning to sound pretty insecure. Your little diatribe just now is a pathetic "grasping at straws" effort that lacks logic.

It's pretty simplistic and childish to try and tell us that the only way that anyone could possibly have any applicable information, knowledge or valid opinion on a given subject is by directly engaging in that activity. That is a complete logic fail.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:37 AM   #33
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Well , Ill get the popcorn and sit back and watch you boys hash it out.

but a tiny bit of advice. I do not consider myself an authority on the subject of motorcycles or anything else for that matter.

But if you ride your motorcycle with situational awareness and you treat every other driver on the road as if they are a threat(not a possible threat) you will be able to anticipate the different things that may happen.

Basically assume every driver is waiting for the perfect moment to kill you.

because that is about the jist of it.

watch your 6 because they will rear-end you or plain run you over. watch your sides because they will merge into and over you
watch in front because they will blow lights cut you off come head on while texting.

Also you have to watch other cyclists, many are respectful and many are running wild and taking chances.

That guy who wants to race you, pass you, wheelie in front of you or lane share with you..... will some day plow right into you ruining both of your days.

So basically you have first hand knowledge of the person who merged into you..... assume every other driver on the road is going to do like wise at anytime.

I hope you have a quick and full recovery, and good luck with the tickets. you may be wise to consult a lawyer.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:07 PM   #34
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just want to kindly remind everyone here about the terms of service you agreed to when you made an account here. I don't want to read garbage like this. Can't we at least coexist?

You gentlmen always have the option to take arguments to PM's at any time. Please take advantage of that function.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:18 PM   #35
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

I had a nice police officer hell at me lane splitting comin out of mall traffics yesterday, when I opened my visor and said huh he was yelling "good job man, keep it safe" guess he didn't want me tying up the traffic he was directing anymore than I wanted to be thing it up. Glad he wasn't one of those Leo's I normally run across
I was also surprised nobody seemed to get mad at me like they normally do around here, guess its the spirit of Christmas. Glad that Christian lady that beat up the Salvation Army bell ringer wasn't in that traffic jam, lord only knows what her pastor told her about motorcycles

Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM   #36
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Mitch...bad things happen to good people.
If YOU are personally afraid of accidents....stop riding.
This is the friendliest, most enthusiastic and knowledgable board I've ever been on and you'll find lots of different opinions here...but riding in not for everybody...IMHO
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #37
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Don't give up...
I personally crashed my 250 twice, and my new Fz6r is now gone due to being hit from behind in Nov.

I thought about giving it up, after the fz was totaled while I was on it. I quickly decided I like riding and lookin into getting another bike now.

Get back on and keep more space...it's my plan
I'm very sorry to hear that, were you seriously injured in any of the crashes?

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:55 PM   #38
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

I have to ask, stock IRCs? **** those things

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:08 PM   #39
EsrTek

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
I'm very sorry to hear that, were you seriously injured in any of the crashes?
Not till rammed from behind...I think my right foot was actually broken, near ankle, and I'm pretty sure my left collar bone broke in some way (it clicks when I move).
Neither showed breaks on Xrays but neither are back to same size as they were, nor same range of movement.

I mostly self medicated at home for these, and didn't really let myself rest.. 3 days after accident I had an interview to make.

Anyway lookin to get 300 after taxes, I just want a '13 w recalls done.. or might get a 14 and trade the plastics/tank for a '13 white.
Oh..and some of the xtra money from crash is buying me a Skully Helmet!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:18 PM   #40
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe the Ant View Post
I have to ask, stock IRCs? **** those things
yeah tires were stock