ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Wiring up for GPS

Rather than add to the clutter of some of the other ongoing threads, I thought I would start a new post.... hopefully it is unique enough to add to the overall discussion.

I am in the process of wiring up for my GPS... I don't want to buy a ton of parts or spend a lot of $$, but I do want it to be done safely. I received the power cord to connect to the GPS (Nuvi 265W). You can see in the picture that it has a transformer and, although not OEM (Gilsson), was sold specifically for my model, and others that use the same connector/voltage. The wires are pretty small, and I don't know if having a transformer makes it fused or not (I am guessing no, but correct me if I am wrong please).

So, at the moment I am stuck trying to figure out how to wire it in..... I hesitate to wire these little wires directly to the battery.

Might the small gauge of the wires render the entire unit useless anyways, or is it OK?

One thought would be to add an in-line fuse holder like this picture I found from Radio Shack (don't like them but can get it in a pinch).

(image shows for a 'mini-blade', but I can get regular size)

Another thought was to get a connector that I could plug directly into the harness installed for my trickle charger. This would solve the problem of it being fused & since I would only use the GPS occasionally I wouldn't have to worry about battery drain, installing more accessory wires off the battery, etc.... The only problem is I don't want to cannibalize the accessories that came with the charger to harvest the connector. Here is a pic of the harness I am referring to, although most will probably already know what I am talking about...

I have done lots of web searches, but can't find these connectors sold by them selves. I COULD by another harness and cannibalize it for the connector, because I THINK both ends are really the same, but that seems like a waste.
Does anyone know where I can get them (those 2 pin connectors on the chargers, etc.)?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #2
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...t-Harness.aspx

Just cut the battery connector leads off and connect the remaining section to the GPS wiring.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #3
pantera
ninjette.org member

Name: Brion

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom / 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Try Dennis kirk or JP cycles
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #4
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

I actually spliced mine into the horn circuit (If I remember correctly). It's fused high enough for the GPS unit. That and to make the unit removeable I picked up a female cigarette lighter adapter so if I really wanted I could unplug the unit and put it in my car if I'd like. The cigarette adapter is behind the headlight and the wiring runs from the bottom of the windscreen to the GPS unit and is damned near invisible. No complaints thus far

I ALSO ran a small gauge wire around the GPS mount and tied it off to the headlight mounting base (under the black cowling) so if the GPS unit comes loose it doesn't rattle and fly off. I'll try to snap some pics to better describe what I'm talking about.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Dr Shorty
ninjette.org member

Name: Shorty

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
I actually spliced mine into the horn circuit (If I remember correctly). It's fused high enough for the GPS unit. That and to make the unit removeable I picked up a female cigarette lighter adapter so if I really wanted I could unplug the unit and put it in my car if I'd like. The cigarette adapter is behind the headlight and the wiring runs from the bottom of the windscreen to the GPS unit and is damned near invisible. No complaints thus far

I ALSO ran a small gauge wire around the GPS mount and tied it off to the headlight mounting base (under the black cowling) so if the GPS unit comes loose it doesn't rattle and fly off. I'll try to snap some pics to better describe what I'm talking about.
Those pics would be greatly appreciated! I am hoping to wire a cigarette lighter adapter for my gps as well. Plus if I ever get a new GPS this way, I wont have to re-wire the bike.

Did you do anything specific to weather-proof the adapter?
Dr Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #6
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I like the cigarette adapter idea, BUT I had read a couple places that there is a higher rate of failure due to vibrations if connections aren't made directly. I also read (same sources), that for connections that are not soldered directly, like plugs, that dialectic grease should be used to prevent sparking.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote