ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 25th, 2022, 11:48 PM   #1
NinjaFinally
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): GPX250R 2006

Sorting out issues on my '06

Hello all, I am new here after buying a 2006 gpx250r, Australian version. I have been using the wiki which is an excellent resource, but of course it does not cover everything.

Some gremlins I have:
- The horn does not work. I took the horn off the bike and tested it - it read 1 ohm. Put it on a battery and works ok. Started the bike, pressed horn and only get 2 volts at horn terminals. Checked fuse. I am not sure how to check the switch, although I think if I go from one side of the fuse to the correct horn wire that will do it? I suspect it will be high resistance.
- I don't have a 2006 Aussie schematic - but do have the 2005 other variants.
- Passing switch does not work, although high and low beam are both ok. I tested the switch and it is ok so I am not sure what is broken there.
- Neutral light did not come on today. Wiggled green wire that goes into gearbox area of engine and light comes on. Not how I like things to be.
- Indicators switch feels awful. I lubed it a bit and will see how it goes - had a bit of corrosion on the sliding bits.

With all of that maybe I should just get a LH block?

On the good side, I always wanted a Ninja 250. My son is learning to ride and I wanted something cheap and cheerful I could take for short rides with him, and we have already done this a few times. It runs very well, and I've enjoyed doing some other maintenance on it.
NinjaFinally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2022, 03:38 PM   #2
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaFinally View Post
Hello all, I am new here after buying a 2006 gpx250r, Australian version. I have been using the wiki which is an excellent resource, but of course it does not cover everything.

Some gremlins I have:
- The horn does not work. I took the horn off the bike and tested it - it read 1 ohm. Put it on a battery and works ok. Started the bike, pressed horn and only get 2 volts at horn terminals. Checked fuse. I am not sure how to check the switch, although I think if I go from one side of the fuse to the correct horn wire that will do it? I suspect it will be high resistance.
- I don't have a 2006 Aussie schematic - but do have the 2005 other variants.
- Passing switch does not work, although high and low beam are both ok. I tested the switch and it is ok so I am not sure what is broken there.
- Neutral light did not come on today. Wiggled green wire that goes into gearbox area of engine and light comes on. Not how I like things to be.
- Indicators switch feels awful. I lubed it a bit and will see how it goes - had a bit of corrosion on the sliding bits.

With all of that maybe I should just get a LH block?

On the good side, I always wanted a Ninja 250. My son is learning to ride and I wanted something cheap and cheerful I could take for short rides with him, and we have already done this a few times. It runs very well, and I've enjoyed doing some other maintenance on it.
The switch the best thing is get another switch assembly or try taking apart and clean it the contact to see that help.
Take a pair of pliers and squeeze a little bit should help make it get better contact then reattach to the neutral switch posts.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2022, 11:32 PM   #3
NinjaFinally
ninjette.org member

Thanks. So I will have to take the side cover off to get at the switch?

Old February 27th, 2022, 02:10 AM   #4
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Yes that right not all the way just remove the three bolts slide it back then you should be able to use a pair needle nose

Last futzed with by shspvr; February 27th, 2022 at 08:31 AM.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2022, 10:03 AM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
sprocket cover.
What others have found is sometimes wire rubs on chain and gets cut.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2022, 11:21 PM   #6
NinjaFinally
ninjette.org member

Thanks all, my neutral wire is now fixed. I cleaned up inside the chain cover as well, it took some gentle persuasion to remove.