ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1
flyinhawaiian
pwn00bage

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

o-rings omnomnom

anyone know where I can get the two o-rings when doing the oil change? I got the kawy filter and I guess it doesn't come with it, last time my ex did the change he had "no idea" what o-rings i was talking about. /facepalm.

Can I just pick them up from a parts store like cambodian tire (go canada go)? what size/diam. are they? I'm asking now so I can get them in one go..because once i start taking her apart.. i cant get to any parts store! lol

also..the crush washer? gahhh why is this so tedious, should come in a friggin kit.

THANKS GUYS.
flyinhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM   #2
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

not sure where you'd get that, I just reused my washer tho, it wasn't deformed at all.

I bought a wix filter (had to order it from a local parts store) and it came with them...
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM   #3
kkim

yep, just reuse the o rings for this oil change. you'll be fine, but next time, be sure to buy a filter that comes with those 2 o rings and change them then.

crush washer can be reused too. while you have it out, measure it so you'll know what to get for the next oil change.

be sure to use a torque wrench on the drain plug and oil filter cover when you tighten them up.

I assume you've read the DIY oil change link here on ninjette?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:20 PM   #4
flyinhawaiian
pwn00bage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yep, just reuse the o rings for this oil change. you'll be fine, but next time, be sure to buy a filter that comes with those 2 o rings and change them then.

this isnt the first oil change... lol. the filters i get locally are the quackasaki ones and dont come with the other parts

crush washer can be reused too. while you have it out, measure it so you'll know what to get for the next oil change.

so i can buy this at any parts store?

be sure to use a torque wrench on the drain plug and oil filter cover when you tighten them up.

I assume you've read the DIY oil change link here on ninjette?

will do thanks. i've read it a few times, never done anything by myself. my lameass excuse for a boyfriend said he'd help me do it, lets...just...say...hes a lameass excuse for a bf and i'd much rather prove to myself that I can do it alone. ambivalence avenue is a bitch

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:48 PM   #5
kkim

lol... breathe deep... relax.

were the o rings changed last oil change? no matter... people have reused them a few times. just be sure to change the o rings next time. don't use the kawi filters. there are many other oil filters that are just as good, if not better, that come w/ the o rings.

yes, crush washers can be purchased at an autoparts store... so can the oil filters.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:16 PM   #6
flyinhawaiian
pwn00bage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
lol... breathe deep... relax.

were the o rings changed last oil change? no matter... people have reused them a few times. just be sure to change the o rings next time. don't use the kawi filters. there are many other oil filters that are just as good, if not better, that come w/ the o rings.

yes, crush washers can be purchased at an autoparts store... so can the oil filters.
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa last time the oil was changed. no. that was the other lameass excuse for an exbf, he didn't even know you had to change them. i get kawi bc its local, but ill check out the others around town and online next time i get one.

crushwashersautopartsstorecheck. just making sure it's not some alien size that only certain companies make. you never know, it is a limegreenspaceship after all.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM   #7
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34723&

Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:36 PM   #8
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Crush washer is 12x22x2, or really any 12mm washer. K&N oil filters I get also come with O-rings.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:29 AM   #9
flyinhawaiian
pwn00bage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Crush washer is 12x22x2, or really any 12mm washer. K&N oil filters I get also come with O-rings.
THAAAAAANK YOU FOR SIZING ME.

Note to self DO NOT BUY QUACKPRODUCTS.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM   #10
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

They can be added to a cheapcycleparts order for $0.27 if you are planning on placing one. Otherwise shipping is not worth it.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...gasket-12x22x2

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:34 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I wouldn't know if the dealers have been replacing the crush washer or reusing them. For my DIY change, I should get one... just in case. I mean, the manual says not to reuse the cotter pins too and yet I've watched them do it (yes, I would, but dealers should be held to a different standard, the official one, if they expect us to pay more for their "official" services).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I'll be doing an oil change tonight if you'd like measurements on the o-rings. I see o-rings of all shapes & sizes @ my local Also buying a truck this evening, so please forgive me if I don't get back w/ measurements immediately

Edit:
Just checked the Kawasaki parts fiche:
The o-rings are spec'd at 16mm and 90mm, no other measurements given. Part numbers for them are 670B2016 and 671B2590 respectively, might be able to get some from your dealer. I bought an OEM filter with o-rings once. It wasn't cheap. I switched to WIX 24941. Better quality, better price, o-rings included

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM   #13
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
I'll be doing an oil change tonight if you'd like measurements on the o-rings. I see o-rings of all shapes & sizes @ my local Also buying a truck this evening, so please forgive me if I don't get back w/ measurements immediately
Measurement is 12X22X2

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:46 AM   #14
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I had my oil changed at the dealer as part of my 600 mi service and they used a new crush washer... it was listed on the bill lol. If you can go to a dealership you can buy the crush washers there for like $0.40, my local autoparts store never seems to have anything that is bike compatible there. K&N filter is KN-401 and comes with o-rings.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:48 AM   #15
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Measurement is 12X22X2
That's the drain plug crush washer, not the filter o-rings, but thanks Jason

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM   #16
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

I always replace the drain plug crush washer. For me, it's worth the $0.30 cost to ensure i don't end up with a slow leak.

I order them in bulk when I purchase other parts.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:10 AM   #17
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I've never replaced those O-rings, and I replace the crush washer every 2 oil-chances. No problems, no leaks. I clean them thoroughly and inspect them closely before I re-assemble the thing.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM   #18
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
I've never replaced those O-rings, and I replace the crush washer every 2 oil-chances. No problems, no leaks. I clean them thoroughly and inspect them closely before I re-assemble the thing.
Haha, I've done the opposite. Still using original crush washer @ 14,000mi, no leaks, but I replace the O-rings with the filter every oil change. Gonna throw a new washer on w/ the next change though, figure it's about time.

Tbh, I'd suggest replacing the o-rings periodically as rubbers tend to degrade over time. Good to know that it's not critical though.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:57 AM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Haha, I've done the opposite. Still using original crush washer @ 14,000mi, no leaks, but I replace the O-rings with the filter every oil change. Gonna throw a new washer on w/ the next change though, figure it's about time.

Tbh, I'd suggest replacing the o-rings periodically as rubbers tend to degrade over time. Good to know that it's not critical though.
The rubbers degrade especially fast on our bike!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote