ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Special Edition

Carb Cleaning??

Hey guys, I need to clean and sync my carbs, it will cost about $250 or so to have it done. This is something I can do myself but would like to know if their are any jet kit available to increase the bikes performance and to install while i'm in there but i dont have an exhaust on the bike yet. Are there any DIY's on this topic as I have never had to deal with dual carbs and would would like to have something to fall back on and look at as there seems to be alot of junk on the 250's.

Last futzed with by jboyd12; March 2nd, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
jboyd12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Why does your 2010 bike need to have the carbs cleaned and sync'd? Have you taken them apart or adjusted them in any way? Does your bike seem to run ok?
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:21 PM   #3
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

^ good questions. You would know it if your bike needed a carb sync, unsteady idling and hesitations while giving it throttle are some of the signs. I would look at the basic stuff if I were having some troubles though (which you shouldn't for a bike as new as yours). I would put some seafoam (marvelous stuff) in the tank, check the spark plugs and spark plug cap connection, and clean your air filter. Don't trust the shops!
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
^ good questions. You would know it if your bike needed a carb sync, unsteady idling and hesitations while giving it throttle are some of the signs. I would look at the basic stuff if I were having some troubles though (which you shouldn't for a bike as new as yours). I would put some seafoam (marvelous stuff) in the tank, check the spark plugs and spark plug cap connection, and clean your air filter. Don't trust the shops!
NO I know i need to clean the carbs, the bike is a 2010 with only 678 miles on it. They need to be clean because it has sat for an extended period on time before i purchased it. The bikes does not run correctly in the lower rpm and bogs and stalls unless i rev it to about 4k when getting out of neutral to first gear. The bike will also not idle correctly after riding it around sometimes it will stay at 3k and go up and down a little then go to the correct 1,300 and with a twist of the throttle it will go back up to 3 and stay there for an extended period of time before dropping. I am very experienced with carburetors on small engines. The 250 is different as it has duals and if I'm taking them out im going to check to make sure they are within spec and see if they are synchronized

Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #5
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obXYvH0UhHc

the bike runs like this but it will run with the choke off after it has warmed up. The bike still seems to stutter and hesitate a little under 6,000 rpm from 6 till red line she runs great

Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Canopr360
ninjette.org member

Name: Angel

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

I think I got to do the same :s

I bought mine a week ago, and is almost acting like the one in the video. it was sitting with out starting for a almost 9 months. :s But Idk where in my area works with carbs in Alexandria, VA.
Canopr360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM   #7
EthioKnight
Super Noob

well then, you'd better go ahead and do a complete carb cleaning and sync. If you have worked on carbs (which I think makes you totally HOT for a girl ) then you'd have no trouble at all for the dual carbs of the ninjette...just do one at a time. Here's a vid that you might refer to -

Link to original page on YouTube.
and there are a couple more you can find on youtube.
As to the syncing, there's a DIY thread right here - http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9754
I wish you luck girl, I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:45 PM   #8
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canopr360 View Post
I bought mine a week ago, and is almost acting like the one in the video. it was sitting with out starting for a almost 9 months. :s But Idk where in my area works with carbs in Alexandria, VA.
I bought mine used @ 700 miles and the guy had not moved the bike (nor stored it correctly) for over 2 months prior to my purchasing it...all I needed to do though was drain the float bowls (very easy to do), put fresh gas, add plenty of seafoam and she woke up screaming!...I'm a huge fan of Seafoam (just 'cause I'd rather not tinker with the carbs), try it if you haven't already. much luck

Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:46 PM   #9
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
well then, you'd better go ahead and do a complete carb cleaning and sync. If you have worked on carbs (which I think makes you totally HOT for a girl ) then you'd have no trouble at all for the dual carbs of the ninjette...just do one at a time. Here's a vid that you might refer to -

Link to original page on YouTube.
and there are a couple more you can find on youtube.
As to the syncing, there's a DIY thread right here - http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9754
I wish you luck girl, I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you.

Thanks for the links. Its my boyfriend who has the experience, he wrote that message for me.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM   #10
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I second the Seafoam. There really is no reason for your carbs to be out of sync so early on in their life unless someone has adjusted them before.

I believe that sluggish and seeking the bike from the video is doing is due to the needles being covered in gunk and not able to move freely. A healthy dose of Seafoam and perhaps some high octane gas should clean it out nicely. If that does not work the carbs may need to be taken apart to be cleaned.

Taking the carbs apart is not hard, it is very delicate, though. There are lots of small pieces and rubber pieces which can absolutely not be damaged at all. To me it isn't worth $250 for someone else to clean some carbs, but I am an ASE certified mechanic.

DynoJet offers a jet kit (#2193) and http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ht=diy+jetting is a DIY for jetting. If that is not sufficient do a search and there are several threads on jetting including a jetting database.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canopr360 View Post
If it runs, first try using some Seafoam or Star Tron Fuel Treatment. (both can be found at Advanced Auto)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Canopr360
ninjette.org member

Name: Angel

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
If it runs, first try using some Seafoam or Star Tron Fuel Treatment. (both can be found at Advanced Auto)
Thanks, I will go now to buy a can.
Canopr360 is offline   Reply With Quote