ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old May 22nd, 2024, 03:14 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[cycleworld.com] - Buckle Up, It’s a Column by Mat Mladin

Mat Mladin is here to share his thoughts and opinions; the seven-time Superbike champ doesn’t hold back.

Click here to view on their site.

I have the guts to tell my whole story, not “cherry-pick…” (Cycle World Archives/)This is the first in a series of columns by seven-time AMA Superbike champion Mat Mladin, the Australian racer who dominated American racing for a decade before his retirement in 2009.

“Mladin cherry-picked the USA and didn’t have the guts to go to GP.”

Trolls and morons offer not a single thing that enhances anyone’s life, any conversation, or is educational in any way. Some of the stuff I’ve read about Marc Márquez or Vale or take your pick is just ridiculous.

They know so little about me personally that they don’t know I was in GP in ‘93. I finished ninth in my GP debut, and had a best finish of sixth. Take into account this was my third year racing a road bike. Year one, I won the Aussie 250 production championship. Year two, I won the Aussie Superbike championship and for some reason the Cagiva GP team signed me up to race the 500cc World Championship which was my third year on the black top.

On the Cagiva GP bike in 1993. (Sport Rider Archives/)The best part of ‘93 was the experience. It came in handy later in my career, and meeting Douggie Chandler also enriched my life. When I got the chance to come to the States in ‘96 I was more excited to see Doug again than I was to race. He helped me a lot in ‘93 and still speaks to me even though I almost killed his wife, Cherie, flying radio-controlled planes in his mate’s lettuce fields in Salinas when I was there for the USGP at Laguna Seca.

I personally believe I did OK, all things considered, but I did get the arse and was sent home at the end of the season.

On the grid in ’93 with Doug Chandler (on right). (Sport Rider Archives/)Does anyone truly believe that by the time I’d won a few AMA championships, approaching the age of 30, that MotoGP teams were tripping over each other to sign me? Please! The whole love affair with Aussies and Americans in the world championship was almost over. The rise of the Euros was in full swing.

Those kids had been racing on the road from the age of 4 and it was coming to fruition. In Australia and the USA if a 4-year-old got hurt on a motorcycle, someone was paying millions.

Few know that I got offered Kevin Schwantz’s Suzuki for a couple of races in ‘94 after he hurt himself, but I turned it down because ‘93 beat me up that bad. I was in no shape mentally to fly to Argentina for a one-off on a bike and with a team that I didn’t know at all.

You have to believe in yourself or nothing good comes of these opportunities, and I had no belief at that point. On top of that, I was midseason with Kawasaki back home and had my loyalty to them. This team was behind me becoming the youngest Aussie Superbike champion a couple of years earlier. The manager of this team was still working with me 17 years later for AMA championship number seven. I think my 13 years with the Yosh Suzuki team shows what I’m about.

My Reputation

If I cared about a BS reputation and wanting anyone to see me in a different light, I wouldn’t share half the stuff that I do. I wouldn’t speak of my drug habits that I had for a few years and the alcohol problem that used to show up too often. I have the guts to tell my whole story, not “cherry-pick,” unlike the weak pr—s criticizing me or any other racer who is putting his arse on the line and putting on a show. Easy from behind the keyboard!

I communicate with many people who have been appreciative of me sharing my hardships, thoughts, and screwups, and they realize that if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

I’m more proud of the relationships I have formed through talking about my tough times and being able to be open about it than I am proud of anything I achieved on a motorcycle.

On the Ferracci Ducati 916 in ’97. (Blake Conner/)The other thing the above quote implies is that the competition in the USA was easy and that’s why I won as much as I did. I never won anything easily. You could argue that the AMA Superbike championship was the toughest Superbike championship in the world for a decade or so. I worked my arse off, built an incredible team around me, and changed the dynamic of what it took to win Superbike championships in the USA.

You had to bring it every weekend and not crash, or the point deficit would have been too great to overcome. This takes discipline, this takes dedication, it takes passion and a strong work ethic, and a single-minded focus toward the goal. It was a grind and anyone who worked with me would say the same. None of us believed in “bad weekends” and we pushed ourselves to limit them as much as we could.

You had to bring it every weekend and not crash. (Blake Conner/)I was far from America’s favorite son. I was an Aussie winning a lot of races in the USA for over a decade. It takes resolve to keep listening to the barbs, to the jabs when all I was doing was working hard and doing what I was paid to do. I used it for motivation. It drove me for 14 years.

One crew chief after I got my first championship in ‘99 at Colorado actually said, “He better enjoy it because it will be his only one.” I won’t say which fella said this because I actually like the guy, but he helped fuel me to become one of the winningest racers in US history.

There were seven No. 1 plates. So much for “…it will be his only one.” (Blake Conner/)I am proud that a couple of the kids who I had some excellent duels with got their shot in Europe and went on to win world championships. Yes, it validates you. Like any of you—in any job.

I had my shot, and by the time I was ready to go back, there was nothing for me. That’s life and another reason why I love the USA so much. America gave me an opportunity to excel in doing something I loved to do and has afforded my daughters and I an excellent life. Yep, I’m an Aussie but I’ll never forget which country gave me the life that I have. My youngest daughter, who “absolutely hated the noise in the podium celebrations back in the day,” reminds us often that she is an American. She is proud to carry dual citizenship and to say that she was born in the USA.

With my daughters Emily (20) and Jessica (17). They are my life. (Courtesy of Mat Mladin/)Quick Thoughts on Current Racing Series

It looks like you guys have another Aussie on the scene who is proving to be a quick study. Whilst his name may be new to most in the States, Troy Herfoss is a thrice Australian Superbike champion. Some of you may remember that Troy won many motard races back in my time in the States. I was really impressed with Troy for having the guts as the current Australian Superbike champion to pack it up and head to the States to give it a shot in MotoAmerica’s King of the Baggers.

Troy is not a spring chicken anymore in racing terms, but is still a young man in extremely good condition and can obviously ride a motorcycle OK. All right, better than OK, haha! He has many good years ahead of him. I’d be surprised if he isn’t on the radar of the superbike teams for ‘25 if that’s what he chooses to pursue. I say stay on the big girls. I love it!

Troy Herfoss has many good years ahead of him. (Indian Motorcycle/)Racing is at a crossroads right now. We have MotoGP as the prototype class but sportbike sales are in the crapper worldwide. Superbike racing 40 years ago was sold on the fact that what you see on Sunday you can buy on Monday. Well, nobody is buying them anymore.

I’d love to have a crystal ball to see where it is all going but your guess is as good as mine. For the racing purists the bagger class is a joke, and 15 years ago I openly mocked the thought of racing the big girls, but I was wrong!

I was a racing purist, and I’ll say even to this day that I struggle to enjoy what the MotoGP bikes look like with all the wings and so on, and the amount of rider aids on them that stop wheelies and tire-smoking sideways action. But I’m also first to say I am not sure what’s best.

No one way will please everybody so I feel for the rule-makers worldwide when it comes to setting up how classes are going to be raced. We can see racing how we like but watching a 60-year-old man at the front of the pack and getting sideways with his lunch and bottle of whiskey in the saddle bag appeals to me!

“I struggle to enjoy what the MotoGP bikes look like with all the wings and so on.: I will get into some current racing matters next time.” (MotoGP/)It’s good to see my old teammate “Elbowz” back in the paddock. When I read about what was happening for ‘24, I texted Ben [Spies] and said I’m available to ride if needed. He replied that I wasn’t that good back in the day so he couldn’t imagine how I’d be any better now. Ouch.

They had a tough season opener but really turned the tables at one of my favorite tracks, Road Atlanta. I will be keeping a keen eye on, and pulling for, Ben’s team and riders.

A couple of superbike veterans split wins in Atlanta. The Beemer has plenty of mumbo and will be hard to beat on the tracks that have multiple accelerations to high speed per lap. Jake Gagne is as steady as always on the Yamy.

I will get into some current racing matters next time. What a year it has been in MotoGP so far.

The Cycle World crew have been kind enough to ask me for more of my drivel in the future, so stay tuned.

Cheers,

Mat