Notices

Old June 20th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
no more chin strap?

not sure if i really trust it to hold up in a crash.... i would need to take a closer look, but it definitely looks very interesting.

Link to original page on Vimeo.

www.voztec.com

Old June 20th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

It wouldn't pass ECE regulations, it wouldn't be legal in the UK, the law states you must have your helmet on and the chin strap fastened tight, they wouldn't rewrite the law to accomodate strapless helmets.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Cool looking helmet but It would probably be way expensive at first.

They didn't say if it has passed testing though???
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

TESTING & CERTIFICATION
Voztec Helmets will be certified to the following standards and any other standards that may be required by any other countries.

ECEDOTJAPANAUSTRALIAN & NZ STANDARDS
Voztec Helmets undergo a rigorous internal testing procedure prior to certification and also during their prototype development phase with all products being hand checked prior to sale.

Note how it says "will be" not "are"
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
they rewrote bicycle helmet laws to accomodate airbag helmet thinggies.

Old June 20th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #6
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Cool concept but I doubt it will catch. I wouldn't trust it to stay on in a crash either, and what if you smack your head pretty hard at just the wrong angle and the hinge opens up? Then you're screwed.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Seems like the hinge would be a vulnerable area for potential mishaps. If the hinge is not secure enough, that whole thing will pop open and expose your skull. The locks on the side look easy to dismantle, so I'd be curious, what if something rubs up against that while in motion and pulls or tugs on those latches, then what? Chin strap hasn't really been that big of an annoyance for me. I'd like to see face shields where you can put your glasses perscription in, so you don't have to wear glasses at all (no, I don't do contacts).
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Seems like the hinge would be a vulnerable area for potential mishaps. If the hinge is not secure enough, that whole thing will pop open and expose your skull. The locks on the side look easy to dismantle, so I'd be curious, what if something rubs up against that while in motion and pulls or tugs on those latches, then what? Chin strap hasn't really been that big of an annoyance for me. I'd like to see face shields where you can put your glasses perscription in, so you don't have to wear glasses at all (no, I don't do contacts).
would be interesting. though i don't think i would pay the $500+ you know it would cost for perscription visors. ever thought about lasik?

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #9
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
would be interesting. though i don't think i would pay the $500+ you know it would cost for perscription visors. ever thought about lasik?
Yeah, lasik kind of freaks me out. I know the statistics are pretty good and I am a candidate, but I am a little cynical/pessimistic with that. It would be someone like me who goes to get lasik and I end up blind or something.

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i actually know lots of people including a few racer who have gotten lasik and swear up and down its the best decision they've made

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #11
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I wonder if the "adjustable chin cup" could be interpreted as a chin strap.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 20th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
That's not really possible, each lens in a pair of glasses deflects the light for one eye only. A visor would be in front of both, deflecting all light that passes through it, it wouldn't be possible to separate the light for each eye, and would really only have one focal point, so you wouldn't be able to see through it clearly.

Wearing your glasses close one eye & try to look at something towards the edge of the lens with your peripheral vision, bring it towards the center of your view & see how it gets clearer.

A curved lens gets really thick at the edge (assuming you're short sighted), I've a fairly flat pair of glasses & a curved pair of Oakley Splinters, the Splinters are a fair bit thicker at the edge
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Do chin straps bother that much? I actually prefer the chin strap. I also use it to hold the helmet in hands.

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #14
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

No thanks. I like the solid helmets with chinstrap. The locks/hinge mechanism are suspect and the chin strap doesn't seem adequate for an upward force on the chin. It could easily deform your jaw, slip off, then squeeze your head as it tries to lift up.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #15
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
That's not really possible, each lens in a pair of glasses deflects the light for one eye only. A visor would be in front of both, deflecting all light that passes through it, it wouldn't be possible to separate the light for each eye, and would really only have one focal point, so you wouldn't be able to see through it clearly.

Wearing your glasses close one eye & try to look at something towards the edge of the lens with your peripheral vision, bring it towards the center of your view & see how it gets clearer.

A curved lens gets really thick at the edge (assuming you're short sighted), I've a fairly flat pair of glasses & a curved pair of Oakley Splinters, the Splinters are a fair bit thicker at the edge
I am aware of all of this, but new technology is a different story. You never know, maybe somewhere down the line in a few years or more, someone will come up with something that will make this a thing. Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread further.

Old June 21st, 2013, 02:22 PM   #16
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Seems interesting. The EMTs removing the helmet after a crash can be just as traumatic as the crash itself depending on the circumstances. I do think the latching and hinging mechanisms should have more beefy and perhaps redundant fail safes.

I've had lasik. Actually it was PRK, but pretty similar. It changed my life.

(positively)
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.