ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old June 11th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #1
ninjaadmin
Administrator

Name: ninja

Motorcycle(s): computer-generated

GPS and heated clothing

Couldn't find any accessory wires like in the older 250, evidently Kawi didn't include them in the redesigned bike. No matter, I was able to go straight from the battery without too much trouble. I have the GPS wire following the same path as the rest of the cables heading to the handlebars, and I have the Gerbing/Battery tender cable peeking out right next to the idle speed control knob on the left side. It is zip-tied right behind it, so it won't go anywhere. For the GPS itself I'm using this RAM mount, with the u-bolt wrapped around the left handlebar just inboard of the grip.

Full resolution pics are available at this gallery as well as in this one.
ninjaadmin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

During this Coalinga run on Tuesday morning, I enjoyed the warmth of the heated jacket liner while on the ninjette. After suiting up after lunch, I turned it back on (even though it wasn't that cold at that point), but I was surprised that as I rode along I never felt much, or any, heat. I played with the wiring a bit at stops, but nothing.

Had some time to play with it today, and confirmed that something in my jacket had broken. The same wiring from the bike heats up Annie's liner in seconds; I plug my liner in and nothing. Was happy to find out that Gerbing has a lifetime warranty for these things, so I sent it back today, you just need to pay for shipping. The bad news is it might be 3 or 4 weeks before I get it back, and I can't fit into Annie's liner. A friend said he has an extra Gerbing vest I can borrow in the meantime, so I need to find some time to get over to his place soon.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I anticipated the installation of some electrical components, so I installed a fuse box that can accomodate five circuits. One circuit is used for the Battery Tender, and the other is for the fog lights. I still have three left.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #4
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Allmayer Beck View Post
so I installed a fuse box that can accomodate five circuits
Alex - That is a great idea. Pictures and part numbers when you have time please

Don

Old January 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Got my jacket liner back from Gerbing already, they turned it around much quicker than they promised. Once again it works as expected, and will be using it tomorrow morning on the chilly freeway ride up to a Sunday Morning Ride in Marin...

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Name: Joanne

Motorcycle(s): Red EX250R Ninja

How big is it? Is it like the thickness of a t-shirt?How bulky is it? Is it like a sweater? I have a 2pc. Dainese Lady Yu suit in black. It fits quite snug. Will I be able to wear it under that? I have a back armor going in there as well. I know leather stretches, but I don't want to bust out of my coat because I've got too much junk under it.
Countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

The Gerbing isn't too bulky, but it is thicker than a t-shirt. The vest seems to be a little less bulky than the liner. (but the liner warms up your arms as well, so there's a tradeoff). There's not a lot of material to it, and it compresses pretty easily. It feels sort of like one of those puffy plastic life vests, the ones that you can squeeze down to nothing, but if left with no pressure they will look bulky? I've never worn it under my 1-piece leathers. It would be awful snug in there with the back protector as well, and I also don't know how I'd get the electric cord out of the zipper. I guess I'd find a way if I needed to, but I very rarely wear my 1-piece when I'm on the street; it's pretty much track-only. I use my Gerbing under a textile jacket.

Old March 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM   #8
250 Super Ninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 06 XB12X, 99 FLHT

www.fuzeblocks.com/ Found this fuse block while doing research for a project. Built in relay; switchable and/or direct power off the battery. Nice for GPS to be on all the time and heated gear to be switch operated with the key.

Been wearing gerbing heated gear for a couple years. They make a first rate product.
250 Super Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM   #9
kkim

Hey, Tim. Your first post!! Welcome to the forum!!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #10
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Alex, thanks for the DIY. I installed my Gerbing connection just as you did. I was going to leave the battery tender SAE connector on for another use, but alas, the battery bolts weren't long enough.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #11
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Had to move the connector so that it exits on the left rear side of the driver's seat. With the dual controller attached to my jacket adjustment belt, the connection was too tight and would disconnect.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Goldwing; 2009 KLR-650; 2011 Ninja 250; 2010 FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaadmin View Post
For the GPS itself I'm using this RAM mount, with the u-bolt wrapped around the left handlebar just inboard of the grip.
Sorry for the really late post but was just wondering why you went with a handle bar clamp rather than pulling the rubber plug (one on each side) and screwing in the 10mm ball? That is what I use on my Ninja for the GPS on the left side and a SPOT tracker on the right side.
IBA #485, Goldwing Darkside #646
http://va-ldrider.blogspot.com
Gregg_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I had used the u-bolt around left grip on a number of prior bikes, and still had the hardware to do it that way on the Ninjette. Since then, I had seen how people used to re-tap that mirror hole to hold the RAM mount ball directly. And even later than that, RAM offers a ball that screws in directly without any tapping required (somewhere on this site, there is a link to that part #).

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
And even later than that, RAM offers a ball that screws in directly without any tapping required (somewhere on this site, there is a link to that part #).
Ding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Can't remember where I found it cited, but I've been told the M10 post size with a 1.25 thread pitch is the right setup for our handlebar aux threads. The RAM-B-349 should be right on for that.
Just make sure they send you the right one; they also sell a 1.5-pitch M10 ball, that makes a mess of our threads if you try to muscle it in. Almost made that mistake, but saved the 1.25 threads.

Edit: let me double check the measurement when I get home... I'm not 100% sure I didn't switch the thread pitch

Last futzed with by Momaru; November 30th, 2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: further thought
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Quote:
Ding!

Just make sure they send you the right one; they also sell a 1.5-pitch M10 ball, that makes a mess of our threads if you try to muscle it in. Almost made that mistake, but saved the 1.25 threads.

Edit: let me double check the measurement when I get home... I'm not 100% sure I didn't switch the thread pitch
Good, I am glad that it happened to you as well. They sent me two balls, each in individual packages that were both mislabelled. I tried the same as you. Wouldn't work. Took one (purchased previously) off of another bike and tried it. It worked just fine. I compared threads and sure enough they were wrong. Took them to a hardware store just to verify the threading with one of their thread gauges then called GPSCity (where I purchased them). They treated me like I was a schmuck and didn't know what I was talking about but when ahead and sent another batch of two. What do you know, the new batch was correctly labelled and threaded.

Old November 30th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg_VA View Post
Good, I am glad that it happened to you as well. They sent me two balls, each in individual packages that were both mislabelled. I tried the same as you. Wouldn't work. Took one (purchased previously) off of another bike and tried it. It worked just fine. I compared threads and sure enough they were wrong. Took them to a hardware store just to verify the threading with one of their thread gauges then called GPSCity (where I purchased them). They treated me like I was a schmuck and didn't know what I was talking about but when ahead and sent another batch of two. What do you know, the new batch was correctly labelled and threaded.
Yikes, that is exactly my story, from the same store GPSCity. They didn't say anything. I just sent their customer service a "I think we have a problem" e-mail, and about a week later, a box showed up with an identically-labeled but correctly-threaded ball. Checked the new one against my tap & die set gauge before trying ti. No request for a return, no apology, not even a reply e-mail to let me know the replacement was on the way (though I did get a tracking notice when they sent it). Still, not bad customer service, just quiet

Old December 1st, 2011, 06:10 AM   #17
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Quote:
Yikes, that is exactly my story, from the same store GPSCity. They didn't say anything. I just sent their customer service a "I think we have a problem" e-mail, and about a week later, a box showed up with an identically-labeled but correctly-threaded ball. Checked the new one against my tap & die set gauge before trying ti. No request for a return, no apology, not even a reply e-mail to let me know the replacement was on the way (though I did get a tracking notice when they sent it). Still, not bad customer service, just quiet
Interesting. I didn't mean to come off in a negative fashion about GPSCity. In the end they resolved the problem and sent a return mailer for the other two. I think GPSCity packaged them in individual packages and labelled them wrong. I say that because when they sent me the replacement balls they weren't packaged at all. It could be that the problem started with Ram Mount but given their distribution channels this problem would be more wide spread then just GPSCity. In the end though, all is good and they work great.

Old December 1st, 2011, 06:55 AM   #18
Momaru

Just checked my order history, it was actually GPS Zone, not GPS City I worked with, so it may very well be the RAM manufacturer/distributors. Ah well, so long as problems solved
And 1.25 is the correct pitch, so I got it right above, RAM-b-349

Old December 4th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #19
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I was thinking of getting these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...love-liner-kit
From the pictures it looks like I don't need to buy anything else to get it working but I wanted to hear it from a fellow 250 rider. Would I need to buy any accessories to get this working with my bike?
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #20
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
I was thinking of getting these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...love-liner-kit
From the pictures it looks like I don't need to buy anything else to get it working but I wanted to hear it from a fellow 250 rider. Would I need to buy any accessories to get this working with my bike?
I would say no. It looks like you just need to pull your seat, attach the looped connectors to your battery posts, threat the connector between your seat and tank (that would be my preference) and plug in. You should be good to go.

Old October 9th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #21
Enrgkid
Boy Racer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 08' NINJA 250R, 2013 BMW HP4

This is my first post other than a welcome message, sorry to bump an old thread aswell, but Will wiring a gps/ auxillary port into my battery run my battery down when the bike is off?
Enrgkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #22
dooby
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '11 250R SE (FI), '14 Daytona 675, '14 Sprint 1050 GT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrgkid View Post
Will wiring a gps/ auxillary port into my battery run my battery down when the bike is off?
If you wire directly into the battery and forget to turn off your GPS and leave it on the bike then yes.

Many people who fit heated grips choose to find a wire that goes to +12V only when the ignition is on and when the engine is running, and use this wire as an input to switch on a relay which actually routes power straight from the battery to the accessory.

You could do exactly the same for any other accessory, and for electrical safety you probably should - you would also put a fuse in the circuit to protect drawing too much current from the battery in the event of an accidental short circuit (e.g. if a wire chafed and touched something it shouldn't).

That way, when you turn off the key the relay switches off, disconnecting (electrically) the battery from the accessory so it can't drain in your absence.

HTH, Pete
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #23
Enrgkid
Boy Racer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 08' NINJA 250R, 2013 BMW HP4

So if I wired it into my headlight lamp I should be fine then? is that doable? Sorry Im much better with mechanics than electrics
Enrgkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #24
dooby
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '11 250R SE (FI), '14 Daytona 675, '14 Sprint 1050 GT SE

Yes in theory I *think* that would work - there are possibly better wires to pick. Searching for accessory and relay on here for instance might turn up a thread with more useful suggestions for a "signal" wire to use to switch on the relay.

HTH, Pete
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yes - if you leave the GPS on it will drain. But the GPS typically runs on AA batteries, and would likely take weeks to drain the motorcycle battery even if it were left on. If you're running high-drain devices like heated grips, a relay is needed so the power can come straight from the battery, while the trigger wire can connect to the headlight wire or other switched power. If it's just the GPS, you wouldn't even really need a relay and could wire it directly to that switched power with no issues.

Old October 9th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #26
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrgkid View Post
So if I wired it into my headlight lamp I should be fine then? is that doable? Sorry Im much better with mechanics than electrics
I actually used the tail light wire when powering my stuff. Figuring if i goofed and my toys blew the fuse, i'd lose the tail light vs losing the headlights. You may also be able to find the wire that powers the license plate light to use since that's not really a light needed for safety.

Adding a relay is simple and there are pictures on the packaging or the relay itself that tell you which wire to plug in where if you decide to go that route.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote