Notices

Old March 6th, 2018, 02:00 AM   #1
Yarr
ninjette.org member

Name: Hal

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Hi from Vancouver!

Hi all,

New owner and new to the lifestyle, just got my first bike and going to a 5 day driving school next week.

I bought an 07 250R and haven't done much with it but love looking at it I got the Haynes manual online and have taken the fairings off to get familiar with it; all I know is that it has probably never had the valves done and has a bit of a hard time with a cold engine in our climate. Takes about 5 minutes to warm up while playing with the choke.

Anyway, looking forward to learning and being here.

Cheers!

Hal
Yarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2018, 02:19 AM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Yarr! Glad you found us...
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #3
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome to the board!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Yarr
ninjette.org member

hehe thanks guys, I'm liking this place already

Old March 6th, 2018, 11:25 AM   #5
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
welcome. you won’t need the haynes manual. everything is right here and lots of it! every mod, repair, tweak,improvement is awaiting you.

Old March 18th, 2018, 06:30 AM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2018, 07:44 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!

Good luck with everything!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2018, 11:32 PM   #8
Yarr
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Old March 29th, 2018, 04:35 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2018, 07:08 AM   #10
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi and Welcome!
I miss White Spot!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2018, 03:02 PM   #11
juanphatsun
ninjette.org member

Name: Juan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2007

Hey man welcome, I have the same bike as you. I found that the faq.ninja250.org to be an excellent source for maintenance and other dohickeys, you should definitely check it out.
juanphatsun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2018, 04:59 PM   #12
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome

Old April 1st, 2018, 06:38 PM   #13
Yarr
ninjette.org member

Thanks again!

Old April 1st, 2018, 11:35 PM   #14
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarr View Post
Hi all,

New owner and new to the lifestyle, just got my first bike and going to a 5 day driving school next week.

I bought an 07 250R and haven't done much with it but love looking at it I got the Haynes manual online and have taken the fairings off to get familiar with it; all I know is that it has probably never had the valves done and has a bit of a hard time with a cold engine in our climate. Takes about 5 minutes to warm up while playing with the choke.

Anyway, looking forward to learning and being here.

Cheers!

Hal
Welcome Hal. Since you live in the Great White North you may want to consider one of these kits;

https://shop.watt-man.com/Thermo-Bob...EARS-TB3-N.htm

You guys are kind enough to share some of that chilly air with us here in Michigan. By the way, could we have our Spring back please. I installed this kit one year ago when I bought my Ninja and love it. If you do decide to buy and install one hit me with an E-mail and I'll tell you how to install it the right way and do a clean installation.

Cheers,

Bill

Old April 1st, 2018, 11:42 PM   #15
Yarr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Welcome Hal. Since you live in the Great White North you may want to consider one of these kits;

https://shop.watt-man.com/Thermo-Bob...EARS-TB3-N.htm

You guys are kind enough to share some of that chilly air with us here in Michigan. By the way, could we have our Spring back please. I installed this kit one year ago when I bought my Ninja and love it. If you do decide to buy and install one hit me with an E-mail and I'll tell you how to install it the right way and do a clean installation.

Cheers,

Bill

Interesting!! I've bookmarked it for now; what I'm going to try first is a tune up because it's really not all that great as it is. Not only is there the good 8+ minute warm-up required in he morning, but I also end up needing to use the choke for at least a few minutes if I end it up parking it for 30 or more minutes. The temperature hasn't been horrible in this last week since I started riding it; around 52 degrees F, so it's striking me as a little odd that that's needed after a 2 hour ride.

So that's the plan anyway, tune-up and valves as I can afford it and if it's still being a pain, then I'll likely order that kit.

Thanks Bill!

Old April 2nd, 2018, 03:04 AM   #16
Ram Jet

Quote:
Interesting!! I've bookmarked it for now; what I'm going to try first is a tune up because it's really not all that great as it is. Not only is there the good 8+ minute warm-up required in he morning, but I also end up needing to use the choke for at least a few minutes if I end it up parking it for 30 or more minutes. The temperature hasn't been horrible in this last week since I started riding it; around 52 degrees F, so it's striking me as a little odd that that's needed after a 2 hour ride.

So that's the plan anyway, tune-up and valves as I can afford it and if it's still being a pain, then I'll likely order that kit.

Thanks Bill!
I took a ride in January and one in February this year. My Ninja behaved quite differently at 50 F. than it does when it's 85 degrees. I think you'll find the old girl much happier when things warm-up. With the Thermo Bob 3 my engine hits 120 degrees in about 2 minutes of operation and full operating temperature in 5 minutes. I installed a Trail Tech digital temperature gauge.

Happy trails.

Bill

Old April 2nd, 2018, 10:58 AM   #17
Yarr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I took a ride in January and one in February this year. My Ninja behaved quite differently at 50 F. than it does when it's 85 degrees. I think you'll find the old girl much happier when things warm-up. With the Thermo Bob 3 my engine hits 120 degrees in about 2 minutes of operation and full operating temperature in 5 minutes. I installed a Trail Tech digital temperature gauge.

Happy trails.

Bill
Hi again Bill,

It looks like you have the same bike I do.. Did you find had to go through all the same hassle I did before installing all that? Another question that comes to mind is, we usually hit fairly hot temperatures here in the summer.. does the device help with just warm-up or will it drive the temperatures up that much higher after warm-up too? Is there any risk of overheating?

Thanks,

Hal

Old April 2nd, 2018, 07:03 PM   #18
Ram Jet

Quote:
Hi again Bill,

It looks like you have the same bike I do.. Did you find had to go through all the same hassle I did before installing all that? Another question that comes to mind is, we usually hit fairly hot temperatures here in the summer.. does the device help with just warm-up or will it drive the temperatures up that much higher after warm-up too? Is there any risk of overheating?

Thanks,

Hal
Hi Hal,

I have an 07' Ninja. I'm not sure what you mean by "hassle". The big pain in the ass is a valve adjustment. My bike is basically trouble free after fixing the damage done by the previous owner's hand tools and pea size brain. The Thermo Bob 3 will have no effect on your bikes operating temperature except to get it to run at an acceptable temperature. The Ninja runs cold and I doubt without a TB3 the average Ninja never runs above 130 degrees. I don't know for sure because I installed my Trail Tech temperature gauge after installing the TB3. I currently block-off a portion of my radiator because my bike will run too cold if I don't. The manufacturer of the TB3 thinks the thermostat he sold me may be defective and offered to replace it. I bought a spare thermostat when I bought the TB3 but am too lazy to install it. The maker of the TB3 likes over 200 degrees operating temperature - I like 180 and usually run 180/190. The advantages of the TB3 are 1. your engine achieves operating temperature more quickly 2. You can get your engine to run at a proper temperature consistantly. The TB3 will not adversely affect your engine temperature when it's hot out any more than the O.E.M system. The average Ninja owner has no idea what their engine temperature is after warm-up. The O.E.M. gauge is useless. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge installed where the original temp. gauge was and mounted my Trail Tech temp. gauge on my upper fairing.

The TB3 simply "short circuits" the coolant away from the radiator during warm-up. When the engine is warm the thermostat opens and the radiator goes to work.

If I haven't answered your questions regarding "hassles" let know.

Cheers,

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0646.jpg (174.4 KB, 0 views)

Old April 2nd, 2018, 07:55 PM   #19
Yarr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hi Hal,

<snip>

If I haven't answered your questions regarding "hassles" let know.

Cheers,

Bill
Oh the hassle I was referring to was the long warm up in the morning and then having to warm it up for a few minutes again after sitting for more than 30 minutes. If the TB3 solves that problem great!

Also just noticed you have literally the same bike I do, same colour and everything

Old April 2nd, 2018, 08:37 PM   #20
Ram Jet

Quote:
Oh the hassle I was referring to was the long warm up in the morning and then having to warm it up for a few minutes again after sitting for more than 30 minutes. If the TB3 solves that problem great!

Also just noticed you have literally the same bike I do, same colour and everything
OK, I get it. Well, even with the TB3 on my Ninja she was very cold blooded on my January and February rides. She ran fine after a mile or so with no choke. Each ride was about 30 miles and on the ride in February I did stop at a hardware store and I think I needed the choke when I got back on the bike to return home. I'm sure you're going to be OK when the temperature gets up to 60-70 degrees. You've got a small engine here, made of aluminum with very low mass compared to an automobile engine - it's going to cool down quickly in cold weather. Usually, in warmer weather, you only need the choke on initial start-up and then you're fine for the rest of the day.

Bill

Old April 3rd, 2018, 01:33 AM   #21
Ram Jet

Quote:

I thought of another thing. I increased my main jet size from #105 to #110. Some guys also increase the primary jet size and place 1 to 3 washers under their jet needles, I have not found the need to do either.

Bill

Old April 14th, 2018, 09:39 PM   #22
MillerTime
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): CharlesdiubsOB

Welcome aboard!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2018, 08:29 PM   #23
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris