ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 7th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #1
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2012 black Ninjette

How to Quieten down a muffler

So long story short, I got fined for having a too loud yoshimura slip on...

SO angry!

Anyway.. is there a way I can quieten down my slip on?? Home made silencer maybe? I've heard of the steel wool method, but apparently it's only temporary?

Please any suggestions! Perhaps a silencer from another brand that will fit on my exhaust??

I REALLY NEED HELP!

thanks

Old July 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #2
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

How old is it?
If the muffler is assembled with screws, it could be repacked.

I would call yoshimura and ask if they make a silcencer.

If you decide on fighting the charge, get a sound cert from yoshimura. Most their mufflers meet requirements for DOT.
Then when in court ask how the policeman captured the sound and when his sound meter was calibrated and the make and model of the meter. If he presents all this, then ask him if he remembers if there any other vehicles present. After everything, present the cert as evidence stating that it is indeed legal. And lab tested.

Upon leaving, suggest the officer get his hearing checked
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #3
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
How old is it?
If the muffler is assembled with screws, it could be repacked.

I would call yoshimura and ask if they make a silcencer.

If you decide on fighting the charge, get a sound cert from yoshimura. Most their mufflers meet requirements for DOT.
Then when in court ask how the policeman captured the sound and when his sound meter was calibrated and the make and model of the meter. If he presents all this, then ask him if he remembers if there any other vehicles present. After everything, present the cert as evidence stating that it is indeed legal. And lab tested.

Upon leaving, suggest the officer get his hearing checked

It's a brand new muffler... I put it on, and in the next couple days I got pinged... It was actually the muffler that attracted attention, then the cops got me for not having a license plate light... But he mentiond that this is my "warning" and I should to change to stock, as it's too loud... I agree, it is slightly too loud...

Yoshimura do make a silencer, but its a stupid idea, as it only gets rid of about 2 dB.. Is there perhaps a baffle or silencer I can make or buy and insert it instead?

It needs to be under 96db here in Australia in order to comply...
Stupid pigs....!!!

AND Im still pissed....

Old July 7th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

After following the advice in previous posts, send us your new address, including cell number, and we'll be glad to visit when in-country.

Best get over being 'pissed' before you ride again.
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #5
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by newninja123 View Post
It's a brand new muffler... I put it on, and in the next couple days I got pinged... It was actually the muffler that attracted attention, then the cops got me for not having a license plate light... But he mentiond that this is my "warning" and I should to change to stock, as it's too loud... I agree, it is slightly too loud...

Yoshimura do make a silencer, but its a stupid idea, as it only gets rid of about 2 dB.. Is there perhaps a baffle or silencer I can make or buy and insert it instead?

It needs to be under 96db here in Australia in order to comply...
Stupid pigs....!!!

AND Im still pissed....
I can't believe its louder than 96 db. Thats what my area p is rated it.
If anything the silencer makes it just under legal.

If you have access to a welder you can make cylinder packed with fiberglass and place it inside the end cap.

Did the policeman take pictures?

Old July 7th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #6
lgk

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zola View Post
After following the advice in previous posts, send us your new address, including cell number, and we'll be glad to visit when in-country.

Best get over being 'pissed' before you ride again.
I didn't realize he was from Australia when i wrote it, but since he will have to go to court,he should prepare himself with some evidence that everything is legit. Hopefully their society does not treat traffic offense so seriously as to jail him.

I'm not sure about the nuances of the legal system,but if he shows them he repaired the muffler and license plate, there is a possibility the charges will be dropped.

I agree that anger towards the officer should placed toward working to get out of the ticket.
Then getting the laws relaxed afterwards.

Last futzed with by lgk; July 8th, 2012 at 01:18 AM.

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #7
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I can't believe its louder than 96 db. Thats what my area p is rated it.
If anything the silencer makes it just under legal.

If you have access to a welder you can make cylinder packed with fiberglass and place it inside the end cap.

Did the policeman take pictures?
Thanks for the input mate!

But apparently it is... Yoshimura quoted me a 106dB without the silencer and 104 with...

The silencer helps, and it is noticeable, but not noticeable enough... It needs to be slightly quieter I reckon in order to comply.

Nah he didn't really fixate on the exhaust, just mentioned it and pinged me for the plate light.. I think he thought it would be easier to fine me for the plate light, rather than the hassle of the exhaust..

I put some steel wool in the end pipe today.. Quietened it down considerably.... I'm just not sure on the damage aspect.. I could smell the weird smell of the steel wool burning, but am not sure if its doing damage to the engine?

Any suggestions?

Also, how exactly would I make a cylinder with fiberglass, I was thinking that I would buy/obtain a metal pipe the same size diameter as the silencer insert, fill it with wrapped fiberglass (the wrapping version that's a bit like steel wool) I would then place it in the pipe, and place the whole pipe and wrap into the exhaust and then place the silencer back in...

would the fiberglass damage the engine/exhaust at all?
Would it be better to drill holes in the cylinder pipe?

Thanks mate!

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #8
lgk

thats good, around here you can get away withe license plate fine if you show receipts that a repair was made. when it happened to me i showed the judge a receipt for a light bulb, and a picture of it working at night, and got the fine dropped.

still wasted a day at traffic court though...

could have been the oil in the steel wool burning. the material should be degreased before using. if you packed the end with wool then it possible that it was too restrictive.

the way to make a cylinder is to use perforated tube and weld top/bottom caps. or roll and fold/weld perforated sheet into a cylinder then weld top and bottom caps.

then just fill the cylinder with muffler packing material from the auto parts store. the piece wont be too big, but using real packing material works great.

take some pics of the inside of end cap and muffler first so you can figure out mounting options.

as for designing something you'll have dismantle it and measure
-the inside diameter
-outside diameter
-baffle length
-inlet diameter

then you can size how big the silencer has to be.

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I put the silencer in my yoshimira and quieted it down a whole lot. You could get the yoshimira silencer and mig an extra little baffle onto the end , or buy a universal baffle out of a catalogue or eBay and get a diameter that will fit
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #10
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
thats good, around here you can get away withe license plate fine if you show receipts that a repair was made. when it happened to me i showed the judge a receipt for a light bulb, and a picture of it working at night, and got the fine dropped.

still wasted a day at traffic court though...

could have been the oil in the steel wool burning. the material should be degreased before using. if you packed the end with wool then it possible that it was too restrictive.

the way to make a cylinder is to use perforated tube and weld top/bottom caps. or roll and fold/weld perforated sheet into a cylinder then weld top and bottom caps.

then just fill the cylinder with muffler packing material from the auto parts store. the piece wont be too big, but using real packing material works great.

take some pics of the inside of end cap and muffler first so you can figure out mounting options.

as for designing something you'll have dismantle it and measure
-the inside diameter
-outside diameter
-baffle length
-inlet diameter
then you can size how big the silencer has to be.

Yeh nah, the cops pinged me too good... It's really hard to get out of fines here... :/

With the silencer, if you weld top and bottom caps, wouldn't it restrict the airflow too much?? It'd be like basicalled putting a solid pipe in, as the bottom end cap will completely shut off the flow...? Or maybe I'm just seeing it wrong in my head? Would you make the peforated tube smaller in diamtereter than the actual exhaust?
A diagram would be better to understand...

Not exactly keen on taking apart the whole muffler... I would just rather get a perforated tube, slip some fiberglass wrapping in there, and slip in the muffler.. Wouldn't that work aswell?

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #11
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
I put the silencer in my yoshimira and quieted it down a whole lot. You could get the yoshimira silencer and mig an extra little baffle onto the end , or buy a universal baffle out of a catalogue or eBay and get a diameter that will fit

How did you do it? Do you mind taking a couple pics, or drawing a diagram? What did you use to make the baffle??

Also I was looking at baffles on eBay, but am not sure of the reliability of them.... Do you have any recommendations or links? The diameter of the yoshimura pipe is 2"

Cheers mate

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #12
lgk

Quote:
Yeh nah, the cops pinged me too good... It's really hard to get out of fines here... :/

With the silencer, if you weld top and bottom caps, wouldn't it restrict the airflow too much?? It'd be like basicalled putting a solid pipe in, as the bottom end cap will completely shut off the flow...? Or maybe I'm just seeing it wrong in my head? Would you make the peforated tube smaller in diamtereter than the actual exhaust?
A diagram would be better to understand...

Not exactly keen on taking apart the whole muffler... I would just rather get a perforated tube, slip some fiberglass wrapping in there, and slip in the muffler.. Wouldn't that work aswell?
The caps are perforated too.
The mounting will he difficult to make without taking measurements of the interior.

If feel you feel uncomfortable disassembling it, then i would try to alter the yoshimura one.

My instincts are telling me that the yoshi silencer should be more than a 2 db reduction....

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #13
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The caps are perforated too.
The mounting will he difficult to make without taking measurements of the interior.

If feel you feel uncomfortable disassembling it, then i would try to alter the yoshimura one.

My instincts are telling me that the yoshi silencer should be more than a 2 db reduction....
How would you go about altering it? I'm not confident in taking apart my pipe..? Any suggestions? I love the pipe too much!

Old July 9th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #14
lgk

Quote:
How would you go about altering it? I'm not confident in taking apart my pipe..? Any suggestions? I love the pipe too much!
Get the silencer first, and see what it does.
Then we can go further after you post some pics

Old July 9th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #15
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Get the silencer first, and see what it does.
Then we can go further after you post some pics
I went to my local bike shop today... Quoted me for a custom baffle $180... Will do that instead and post pics, and a write up of what they did...

Old July 9th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #16
lgk

Quote:
I went to my local bike shop today... Quoted me for a custom baffle $180... Will do that instead and post pics, and a write up of what they did...
Thought the yoshi silencer was less then $50

Old July 9th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Buy a Baffle that is od is the same as your yoshimira Id and then drill a hole where the mounting screw goes. I can take pics when I get home I am out of town.

I used this yoshimira one because it is made for my exhaust
But you could use something like this

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/443-...ed=0CGsQgwgwAg

Or use one like this if you can put a little bend in it about 2" down like 15 degrees or so
Mock it up as you bend it
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...assified=false

Or combine some of the perforated steel tubing by attaching a length of it onto the yoshimira baffle for extra noise deadening ... Without having to break your nice pipe all apart

Wow 180$ for a baffle :/ seems really steep to me
The yoshimira baffle comes with a Cnc made aluminum fitting and a steel dip tube then add a section of perforated tube and you still are only 60 bucks in

Old July 9th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #18
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
that kind of like what i was thinking but my baffle portion was perforated and the lower portion was filled with fiberglass to break up the sound.

Old July 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #19
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Yeh I have the yoshimura baffle, but it's minimal in reducation.... Noticeable but I need it a bit more quieter.... I was thinking of welding a perforated tube about 3" long to the end of the yoshimura baffle, packing the tube with firbeglass paking, with NO end caps.... I do this as I have stuffed some steel wool in my muffler, it is perfect in sound and I want to replicate it...

Or possible just but that baffle at jpcycles, and weld it to the end? Or maybe just weld a perforated tube with end caps and no firbeglass packing the the end of the yoshimura baffle? Fiberglass tends to break down quikly...

Old July 9th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #20
lgk

Quote:
Yeh I have the yoshimura baffle, but it's minimal in reducation.... Noticeable but I need it a bit more quieter.... I was thinking of welding a perforated tube about 3" long to the end of the yoshimura baffle, packing the tube with firbeglass paking, with NO end caps.... I do this as I have stuffed some steel wool in my muffler, it is perfect in sound and I want to replicate it...

Or possible just but that baffle at jpcycles, and weld it to the end? Or maybe just weld a perforated tube with end caps and no firbeglass packing the the end of the yoshimura baffle? Fiberglass tends to break down quikly...
can you post a pic of the yoshi baffle.

i want to see why it doesn't work.

Old July 9th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #21
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
can you post a pic of the yoshi baffle.

i want to see why it doesn't work.

It does work, but it's pretty crappy at silencing the noise... I'll upload some pics when I get home in a couple hours.... What setup do you have on your yoshimura?

Old July 9th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #22
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Quote:
So long story short, I got fined for having a too loud yoshimura slip on...

SO angry!

Anyway.. is there a way I can quieten down my slip on?? Home made silencer maybe? I've heard of the steel wool method, but apparently it's only temporary?

Please any suggestions! Perhaps a silencer from another brand that will fit on my exhaust??

I REALLY NEED HELP!

thanks
Why don't you just stick with your stock exhaust? It works just fine, and you won't run into any trouble with the law that way.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #23
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
I was thinking of welding a perforated tube about 3" long to the end of the yoshimura baffle, packing the tube with firbeglass paking, with

I would cut away the yoshimira baffle just below the bend and weld on a section of perforated tube as long as possible . Wrap it is fiberglass and then tie the fiberglass with some stainless wire. I have re packet lots of Mx style silencers and perforated tube with fiberglass pack wrapped about it really tunes it down a lot eve without end caps . Even a straight shot through...

Now you have me wanting to experiment with my yoshimira carbon fiber slip on
It's hard to find a good way to silence without restriction

I have never heard of someone buying a yoshimira and wanting quieter... Sorta contradictory but it is possible. And yoshi s look so darn cool

Last futzed with by Klondike1020; July 9th, 2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: And

Old July 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #24
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
Why don't you just stick with your stock exhaust? It works just fine, and you won't run into any trouble with the law that way.
I second this.

Old July 9th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #25
ninja_thresh_hold
ninjette.org *********

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (忍者 250r; sold!) 2001 zx6r

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #26
lgk

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
I second this.
the stock exhaust is restrictive and sounds like a moped.
Putting it back is a terrible suggestion...

what is wrong with you people...

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #27
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

thankfully there's enough harleys around here, my bike sounds like a leaf blower compared to them, that I don't get bothered. I love my yoshi slip on.

personally, unless it was a "written" warning such that another officer could see that you were warned, I'd leave it as is, and just upshift when you're around police to keep the noise down. and fix the plate light, that's a sure way to get pulled over.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #28
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Didn't read everyone's post.

Here's my suggestion: Put your stock exhaust back on. Aftermarket exhaust for street = Not worth the ticket(s)

Old July 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #29
menikmati

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Quote:

Seems like a good suggestion if he doesn't want anymore issues with the law regarding how loud his exhaust is.

Old July 10th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #30
lgk

Quote:
Seems like a good suggestion if he doesn't want anymore issues with the law regarding how loud his exhaust is.
its a bad one since he won't be able to use it.

if he gets it to work, then he gets the best outcome in regards to law and performance.

Old July 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #31
menikmati

Quote:
its a bad one since he won't be able to use it.

if he gets it to work, then he gets the best outcome in regards to law and performance.
Performance? Slip-ons provide minimal performance and those slight gains would only be felt when the engine is screaming and well over the legal sound limit.

Old July 10th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #32
lgk

Quote:
Performance? Slip-ons provide minimal performance and those slight gains would only be felt when the engine is screaming and well over the legal sound limit.
so what if the gains are not great, at least he gets to enjoy it.

it just seems like you're are more afraid of the punishment, then honoring the law.

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #33
menikmati

Quote:
so what if the gains are not great, at least he gets to enjoy it.

it just seems like you're are more afraid of the punishment, then honoring the law.
lolwut.

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #34
lgk

Quote:
lolwut.
i'm glad you think its funny, but a lot of people actually think this way.
they look at the fines/risk and end up quitting, instead of meeting the requirements of the law.

when something is as harmless/simple as this, and people suggest quitting i don't know if i should laugh or cry...

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Heads-up, the OP is in Australia. I think he's likely more cognizant of the laws/regulations/fines that may come from the loud exhaust than the rest of the commenters in the thread. Perhaps it's worth it, perhaps it's not. If it is about improving performance, adding a slip-on for sound and then clogging it back up with baffles & packing seems like a waste of money and time (IMO), as any of the slight performance gains are going out the window anyway. But it's not my money, or my time, so it's certainly not up to me (or anyone but him) on what makes sense.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #36
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
i'm glad you think its funny, but a lot of people actually think this way.
they look at the fines/risk and end up quitting, instead of meeting the requirements of the law.

when something is as harmless/simple as this, and people suggest quitting i don't know if i should laugh or cry...
.....lolwut?

His yoshi obviously doesn't meet the requirements of the law there. Putting the stock one back on does. You're right, it's harmless and simple to put the stock one back on.

Old July 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #37
menikmati

Nicely stated, Alex.

Old July 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #38
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
.....lolwut?

His yoshi obviously doesn't meet the requirements of the law there. Putting the stock one back on does. You're right, it's harmless and simple to put the stock one back on.
add a couple of pieces of metal and it most likely will be legal, in terms of sound.

it is easy to put the stock one back, but its not worth it until the exhaust is proved unworkable.

selling a used exhaust that's practically new is fail.
he wont get much money for it... since no one else can use it.

Old July 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #39
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Quote:
Quote:

It's a wonderful suggestion, and there's nothing wrong with me (as far as I can tell).

What are you going to do when the government mandates that no one can modify their exhausts other than what the manufacturer provides? Are you going flaunt the law and spend $$$$ on something that is, in my mind, almost totally worthless and risk huge fines and jail time? I'm aware the OP is from Australia, and yes, I've heard of the tactics used by cops there. However, every story I've heard, the cops had a legitimate reason to pull you over. If you kept your exhaust system stock and your bike in good shape (like your license plate light), you wouldn't be in this pickle in the first place.

I don't think my bike sounds like a moped, I've been on mopeds/motorscooters while I was in Asiatic countries, I know what they sound like, and the 250 does NOT sound like that. If you want a exhaust that sounds like it comes from a bigger bike, buy the bigger bike. Don't try to make the 250R something that it is not.

Edit: Alex, I know that you're trying to keep the peace here, but I'm sick of hearing folks trashing their bikes by modifying the exhaust without learning how to ride it in the first place and to understand why the bike's performance is this way.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #40
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
It's a wonderful suggestion, and there's nothing wrong with me (as far as I can tell).

What are you going to do when the government mandates that no one can modify their exhausts other than what the manufacturer provides? Are you going flaunt the law and spend $$$$ on something that is, in my mind, almost totally worthless and risk huge fines and jail time? I'm aware the OP is from Australia, and yes, I've heard of the tactics used by cops there. However, every story I've heard, the cops had a legitimate reason to pull you over. If you kept your exhaust system stock and your bike in good shape (like your license plate light), you wouldn't be in this pickle in the first place.

I don't think my bike sounds like a moped, I've been on mopeds/motorscooters while I was in Asiatic countries, I know what they sound like, and the 250 does NOT sound like that. If you want a exhaust that sounds like it comes from a bigger bike, buy the bigger bike. Don't try to make the 250R something that it is not.

Edit: Alex, I know that you're trying to keep the peace here, but I'm sick of hearing folks trashing their bikes by modifying the exhaust without learning how to ride it in the first place and to understand why the bike's performance is this way.

the law gets that restrictive because no one questions it.
if you don't see the error of jailing someone over an exhaust you got issues.
huge fines, really...?

last i heard adding a yoshimura exhaust on a ninja is far from the classification of "trashing it".

would it have made a difference if it was a full exhaust instead of a slip on.
or 600cc instead of a 250cc bike.

what is the threshold for an idea not to be "cool" anymore, and where can i download the rule book so i can be "cool".

i was exaggerating a little about it sounding like a moped, lol.
lighten up, francis