Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #1
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Lifting Front?

I have no idea how thses things work. Lol I need to lift the front up. The box they came with have no instructions, and the pictures on the box are to hard to make out. I looked in the DIY posts, but they did not have stands with these.

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Use them like that. One of the black pads should be under the forks, while the other one is on the backside of the fork tube.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #3
scotty

Got it! Thanks Andy!

Old January 11th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #4
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

I've got a front stand like that, and it sucks. be very careful that the forks don't slip off those fingers or the front end is coming down in a hurry. just ordered a head lift stand instead, the one where the pin goes up and into the steering stem of the triple clamp.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #5
scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
I've got a front stand like that, and it sucks. be very careful that the forks don't slip off those fingers or the front end is coming down in a hurry. just ordered a head lift stand instead, the one where the pin goes up and into the steering stem of the triple clamp.
Yeah, that is the kind that I want. I may just break down and buy anther one. I don't feel to confident with that one I have.

Old January 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Yeah, that is the kind that I want. I may just break down and buy anther one. I don't feel to confident with that one I have.
It'll also come in handy when you want to work on your forks.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #7
llenta
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Daytona 675 SE

those are certainly easier to use then the ones that lift from the triple tree, but i have more confidence in the triple tree ones. pros and cons to each.

i think if you need to work on your suspension, you have to lift the bike from the triple tree. i'm not sure what you can do if your front forks are compressed and holding the bike up.
llenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #8
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

Quote:
once I get the headlift stand, I'm going to see about modding the other front stand. apparently there are holes in the bottom of the fork tubes, and assuming there's nothing to damage in there, i might see about making some pins that fit in there and support it that way for those times where you just need a quick lift to wash the bike or do oil changes etc.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #9
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I have both types of front stands (front pin and under front forks) - each have some negatives. The Vortex front pin stand seems to hit the bottom of the front cowling and pushes up against the headlight assembly. I have only used it once, so human error could be a variable.

Last futzed with by austexjg; January 11th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #10
scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
once I get the headlift stand, I'm going to see about modding the other front stand. apparently there are holes in the bottom of the fork tubes, and assuming there's nothing to damage in there, i might see about making some pins that fit in there and support it that way for those times where you just need a quick lift to wash the bike or do oil changes etc.
Yeah they sell stands that go into the hols on the bottom there. Seems as that would be the easiest way to lift the bike up.

Old January 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #11
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
I have both types of front stands (front pin and under front forks) - each have some negatives. The Vortex front pin stand seems to hit the bottom of the front cowling and pushes up against the headlight assembly. I have only used it once, so human error could be a variable.
Mine does this to my gixxer all the time. Unless you start hearing cracking, it's no big deal.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for broken fairings.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #12
Deanohh
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dean

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Honda Sabre 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
I'd add one washer at a time to the pin until it didn't hit anymore.
Deanohh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #13
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Great idea...
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Make sure you buy a sturdy one, like PitBull. Might cost more up front, but you won't have to buy another one. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llenta View Post
those are certainly easier to use then the ones that lift from the triple tree, but i have more confidence in the triple tree ones. pros and cons to each.
Only if you do not know what you're doing. With the one the OP hsa now, you have to make sure the bike doesn't walk off the stand. With the pin type, insert pin in hole, lift. And if you do it properly (and didn't buy a cheap eBay knock off) it should NEVER hit any bodywork. The only con to a PitBull is the cost. But someone once said "only a rich man can afford to buy cheap tools."
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
And if you do it properly (and didn't buy a cheap eBay knock off) it should NEVER hit any bodywork.
I've got a Pit Bull front and rear, and it does nudge the bottom of fairing below the headlight. Doesn't put much force on it, doesn't leave any scratches or any other damage/blemish, but it definitely makes contact with the bodywork during lifting and while resting on the stand.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #16
scotty

Well, me and the wife went to three differnt motorcycle shops around town. We found some nice front stands, but boy are they some money! $179.99 was the cheapest we found. Is that about what you all paid? They wern't Pit Bull stands. Any who, I did get the bike up with out any problems! (Crappy picture to follow for proof!!)

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #17
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Well, me and the wife went to three differnt motorcycle shops around town. We found some nice front stands, but boy are they some money! $179.99 was the cheapest we found. Is that about what you all paid? They wern't Pit Bull stands. Any who, I did get the bike up with out any problems! (Crappy picture to follow for proof!!)
If they weren't Pit Bulls I wouldn't recommend buying them for that much. I use a T-Rex stand on my bikes and they've worked fine. I also have the triple tree lift for my 250.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #18
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 650R, '09 250R special edition

Hope you don't mind Scotty, I did some Photoshop work and brought out more detail.

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #19
scotty

Sweet! Thanks Bill! Gotta love cell phone cameras!

Andy, yeah, I can't see myself spending that much on some unknown name stands. I think I may turn to Ebay and find some Pit's to buy.