ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 8th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Insurance.

So...I'm 22 will be 23 at the end of july. My plan has always been getting a motorcycle before a car. Before getting my motorcycle i never even bothered to really look into cars/insurance rates and whatnot. Well I'm thinkin its time to get a car so i did some lookin around and realized my friend was tryin to get rid of his 06 perfect condition Enthusiast 350z. I've always eyeballed the 350z and its still in perfect condition with under 40k miles so i figured id look around for insurance..

Cheapest i could find was $467 a MONTH. that's absolutely ridiculous for insurance. I asked a few ppl i know (who are over 25 ofc) and they say they pay like 700-800a year. How in the hell do people afford remotely decent cars with insurance that high? Puts the big picture into perspective slightly better for college students who manage to own a vehicle...and complain theyre stuck eating noodles throughout college

Now ppl might say...well thats because its a 2door sports coupe, so ofc the insurance is going to be high. I thought of that too, so for giggles i put in a honda accord. still $440 A Month! I dont know how anybody can afford a vehicle thats under 25 with an entry lvl job. specially if theyre living on their own aswell.

So i was curious, how much do you guys pay for cager insurance?

*edit* Should note for my 250 insurance is 60$..
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Under 25 stay away from anything remotely considered sporty and Honda sedans in general. Look at older model SUVs.

I didn't even entertain the idea of owning a car at your age just because I knew I would've had to sell my soul to afford the payments and insurance. Even with part time jobs and student loans, by paying for school, books, rent, partying, and cost of living, I became accustomed to being a broke ass student. A couple of years I was able to eat enough noodles to save up enough to travel in the summers. I wouldn't fret too much over this. You already have a motorcycle and have your post college life to own a 350z.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Under 25 stay away from anything remotely considered sporty and Honda sedans in general. Look at older model SUVs.

I didn't even entertain the idea of owning a car at your age just because I knew I would've had to sell my soul to afford the payments and insurance. Even with part time jobs and student loans, by paying for school, books, rent, partying, and cost of living, I became accustomed to being a broke ass student. A couple of years I was able to eat enough noodles to save up enough to travel in the summers. I wouldn't fret too much over this. You already have a motorcycle and have your post college life to own a 350z.
literally every car ive put in has been well over $370. Not so much the car payment that hurts its the massive insurance payment. Ive tried older toyota trucks, Hatchbacks..pretty much everything but vans or suvs..since im not going to have a family anytime soon and suv's/vans are not appealing in any way, shape or form. I knew it'd be high but thats crazy high.

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Yup crazy is the reality at your age. I didn't mean that other types of cars would give you affordable rates but only perhaps relatively more so than a sports coupe. Better start eating more of those noodles! And forget the brand name stuff.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Your location may have something to do with it. Even when i had a 3000GT when i was 17 i paid 300 a month for full coverage. Now i have an old timers car, 09 saturn aura XR, bought it brand new and i pay 130 a month for full coverage. With 1 accident (im 27 now). My 250 i pay 200 a year, and my 1000 i pay 800 a year.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I just put my car in on progressive (currently my car is on my parents plan and my bikes are on my plan) to see what it would cost. By itself, my car would be $150/mo for 250k liability and underinsured, $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive.

Seems pretty reasonable to me, I'm sure if I added it to my bikes plan it would come out significantly cheaper
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I just put my car in on progressive (currently my car is on my parents plan and my bikes are on my plan) to see what it would cost. By itself, my car would be $150/mo for 250k liability and underinsured, $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive.

Seems pretty reasonable to me, I'm sure if I added it to my bikes plan it would come out significantly cheaper
Would like to try that, the thing is my family has not notified their insurance company that im living with them. If their insurance knew they'd instantly increase the insurance on the their 2 vehicles..so i cant really try that route. This would have been on my own progressive plan btw. No matter what i do i cant seem to get anything thats even reasonable...unless its a 6-8 year old van..that can fit like 20ppl. Guess i could turn it into a party bus.

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I just did a 2013 accord 6cyl 4door with the same 250k, comp, collision, underinsured and the monthly rate is $172. Again, without multi policy discounts too

How many DUI's have you had????
AFM #676

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

dont drink, never been in a crash. Have been pulled over once for speeding, without a ticket.

my record is squeaky clean

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Maybe you are just bad at building quotes?
AFM #676

Old June 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #11
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i don't remember having to pay that much for insurance...

did they break up the quote?
maybe its the comprehensive coverage thats hurting you.

Old June 8th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #12
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
So...I'm 22 will be 23 at the end of july. My plan has always been getting a motorcycle before a car. Before getting my motorcycle i never even bothered to really look into cars/insurance rates and whatnot. Well I'm thinkin its time to get a car so i did some lookin around and realized my friend was tryin to get rid of his 06 perfect condition Enthusiast 350z. I've always eyeballed the 350z and its still in perfect condition with under 40k miles so i figured id look around for insurance..

Cheapest i could find was $467 a MONTH. that's absolutely ridiculous for insurance. I asked a few ppl i know (who are over 25 ofc) and they say they pay like 700-800a year. How in the hell do people afford remotely decent cars with insurance that high? Puts the big picture into perspective slightly better for college students who manage to own a vehicle...and complain theyre stuck eating noodles throughout college

Now ppl might say...well thats because its a 2door sports coupe, so ofc the insurance is going to be high. I thought of that too, so for giggles i put in a honda accord. still $440 A Month! I dont know how anybody can afford a vehicle thats under 25 with an entry lvl job. specially if theyre living on their own aswell.

So i was curious, how much do you guys pay for cager insurance?

*edit* Should note for my 250 insurance is 60$..
I had a 2005 Cobalt SS when I was your age with full coverage. My insurance was only like $98/mo. Now I'm 24, I have a 2011 Genesis Coupe with full coverage and only pay 108/ mo... Not sure why your's is so high...
dwright0723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

yeah just checked the cobalt and it's 3x that amount lol. and thats being really generous on the coverage..ive even called thinkin the site is all screwed up and they confirmed the pricing for multiple vehicles. I'm pretty much bordering City/County. If i go west 1mile its all farm fields, so i basically have to travel east if i want to get anything. traffic is really light around here, not too many neighborhoods, some in development...but its definitely not a high traffic area. no idea why the hell insurance is so high.

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #14
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Lol I pay like 27 a month for my old 94 montero

I am also female, have never been in an accident and have never been pulled over.

I'd try going into an actual insurance office and asking about your options and possible discounts.

Oddly enough I get a discount on my car insurance for taking the MSF course. They count it as a driving school.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #15
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Fresno isn't your issue. I'm in Visalia, which is similar. When I bought my truck, in 2006 I believe, when I was 20, or 19, don't remember when I bought it, I paid around 150 a month, and the truck is a 98. And that is for full coverage.

Shop different insurance companies. I use progressive, and i'm close to you, so I'm not sure why they are so bad. But if progressive wants to do you that way, find another company.

BTW, most insurance companies will lower your rater after being with them for awhile. When I got my truck, it started at 150, and progressively went down. Then I added my wife onto the policy (we weren't married at the time) and it went up, she was brand new to driving, I taught her to drive, but hey, it only went back up to 150. Then we got married, and the policy dropped a lot. Right now, between the two of us (same vehicle, so it's a little older now) I'm paying between 80 and 90 a month for the full coverage.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote