ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #1
shortstuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Stacey

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Changing my fork oil-- suggestions?

I was toodling along last weekend, went to brake at a red light and had the mushiest stopping power imaginable. Arrive at my destination and oh boy! my right fork seal is leaking and my odometer reads 1500 miles. I bought it used with 800 miles, so it was either a Baltimore pothole I bottomed out on, the kid before me did some wheelie practice, or I'm just that lucky.

I've ordered new forks seals and dust seals but I was curious about the fork oil. Specs say Kayaba SS-8 (cant find this anywhere on Google), and mention nothing about the actual weight. I was going to buy some 10W, but if any of you all have swapped out your oil for something else, let me know!
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #2
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

http://www.racetech.com/page.aspx?id=55&menuid=75

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
kkim

if the bike is less than a year old, it's still under warranty, even if you are not the original owner.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #4
shortstuff
ninjette.org member

Yes! My warranty expired two days before my fork started leaking (FML)

Old June 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

call the dealer anyway, if they are good and want your future business they might, warranty the seal replacment for you, or meet you part of the way.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
call the dealer anyway, if they are good and want your future business they might, warranty the seal replacment for you, or meet you part of the way.
that's a great idea! it would be a good time to see what your dealer is made of.

Old June 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #7
shortstuff
ninjette.org member

I've already called them and they said they cannot help me. The salesman added that the fork seals would probably not have been covered by the warranty anyways. I didn't buy the bike from them (and I probably wouldn't have either) but that's not the point-- I'm not a fan of stealerships and prefer to do as much of my own wrenching as I can.

In regards to the race tech oil-- is there a specific one I should consider?

Old June 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #8
kkim

did you get my pm?

Old June 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
I've already called them and they said they cannot help me. The salesman added that the fork seals would probably not have been covered by the warranty anyways. I didn't buy the bike from them (and I probably wouldn't have either) but that's not the point-- I'm not a fan of stealerships and prefer to do as much of my own wrenching as I can.

In regards to the race tech oil-- is there a specific one I should consider?
had a yamaha enduro bike years ago (before they called them dual sports) dealer warrantied leaky fork seals but owner of dealership (back when they were small hardware/bike dealer and before they dumped bikes to sell honda cars and make the big money), but i digress, said the reason they leaked was because we rode alot of railroad tracks and he wouldnt warranty them again. so i asked him why is there a warranty exception based on number of times the fork moves up and down?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
. The salesman added that the fork seals would probably not have been covered by the warranty anyways.
Guess maybe some dealers are jerks Kawasaki has replaced fork seals for me in the past under warranty. Even one after a rock had chipped the fork tube.

For fork oil, have been using nothing but ohlins oil lately
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #11
shortstuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Guess maybe some dealers are jerks Kawasaki has replaced fork seals for me in the past under warranty. Even one after a rock had chipped the fork tube.

For fork oil, have been using nothing but ohlins oil lately
Yeah, it was a little frustrating because when I called it had only been 4 days after the expiration and when I asked him if they could help me at all, I swear I heard crickets chirping lol

Old June 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #12
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

I wouldn't think they would cover them. If someone is exposing the bike to adverse riding conditions, then why should Kawi be on the hook? Stacey has the right attitude anyway. Better to learn how to deal with these things on your own.

Old June 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #13
shortstuff
ninjette.org member

Quick update--

I ordered the fork seals through the dealership that I do like, picked up some 5w fork oil, and spent the day today replacing the seals. We were surprised at how easy it is to do; you don't really need any special tools or things out of the ordinary. It is, however, a bit time consuming if you're doing it for the first time.

A few observations though:

1) The little rubber bumpers on that the lower fairing screws thread into were in horrible shape, and the bike is barely a year old. One fell off in the removal process, and the other two broke off when I put it back on. If I have to pull off the fairing again I'll be needing to replace these.

2) When we pulled off the dust caps, we realized that the two of them were quite different. One was a matte black, and the other had the shiny glean of new plastic. We think the leaking fork had been replaced before, but it must have been a crap job because it was leaking again. Just a theory though.

3) We think we found the culprit of the leak-- a good-sized scratch on the interior of the lower cylinder which is circled in the photo. There was a small chunk of metal on the copper bushing, which we think is what caused the scratch and subsequently the leaking. We used steel wool to smooth out both pieces, and hopefully that will solve the problem. Otherwise I'll need to replace those two parts (which cost quite a bit more than the oil seal)

Word to the wise-- if you're doing this on your own, make sure you take the time to do it slow and do it right! I will be posting up a DIY as soon as I get the pictures sized.

Old June 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #14
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
I will be posting up a DIY as soon as I get the pictures sized.
FYI, you don't need to resize the pictures, IF you upload them to ninjette.org. The software will do that for you.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #15
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

thanx for sharing that whole process. am gonna be doing mines soon too.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote