ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #41
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
In reference to finding a comfortable position, it sounds to me that you *may* need to adjust the positions of the clutch lever and brake lever.

You can loosen the bolt on the clutch lever and the two hex screws on the brake lever and slide them inwards, outwards, up and down until you find the perfect fit.

Remember, the back of your hands should be level to the ground and you should be able to rest your index finger comfortably on the brake lever (with closed throttle).

I have adjusted mine (recently) and it made a big difference in minute control over the brake and clutch. Riding is much improved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
But also now that you mention it, the levers seem to be a bit low. I'll have to do some basic fiddling with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
Get those levers adjusted to where they need to be. It helps. A lot.

K so I think i was completely wrong about my levers being low (i guess i didnt really think about it too much when i wrote that),
they might be high? did you lower yours? i feel like if i lower them I can get a better grip on the throttle and more room to roll on with.

So did you lower yours and was i probably wrong about them being a bit low?

Old August 15th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #42
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

You can adjust them to where you are comfortable. I needed to move mine closer to the ground on both my bikes or my wrists hurt.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #43
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

I like the pvc pipe mod, did you cut a small groove in the pipe for the cable to ride in?
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #44
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I like the pvc pipe mod, did you cut a small groove in the pipe for the cable to ride in?
no... as long as it's flat, the cable will pull straight. The stock throttle doesn't have a groove and it works fine.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 11:05 PM   #45
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
K so I think i was completely wrong about my levers being low (i guess i didnt really think about it too much when i wrote that),
they might be high? did you lower yours? i feel like if i lower them I can get a better grip on the throttle and more room to roll on with.

So did you lower yours and was i probably wrong about them being a bit low?
As stated above, you can and really should adjust the bike to where everything is comfortable.

Although there is a textbook way to do almost everything, I would simply loosen the fasteners and slide the components fore/aft and laterally to where they work well for you.

Riding a bike is all about the handlebars and precision control, so put those controls where you need them.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #46
TacticalFats
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Thomas West

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja EX250

Has anyone had an issue with the zip tie coming undone?

I did this mod last nite, and only took a short ride. I like it so far (it's been raining all day).

It was kinda tricky getting the zip tie glued around the curved throttle tube.
Posted via Mobile Device
TacticalFats is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #47
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

It was tricky for me too. What I ended up doing was holding one end of the zip tie with a pair of pliers, then wrapping it around in a coil and holding for a few seconds to give it an easy-to-manage bend. Made holding it on the bar until the superglue took hold a lot more easier.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #48
TacticalFats
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Thomas West

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja EX250

I held it on one side, and after that set, I used a clamp thing.

Took it for a ~40 mile ride today. MUCH easier for a n00b like me to keep speed on the highway.
TacticalFats is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:24 AM   #49
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalFats View Post
I held it on one side, and after that set, I used a clamp thing.

Took it for a ~40 mile ride today. MUCH easier for a n00b like me to keep speed on the highway.
hm, im having trouble with keeping speed on highways, having to regrip isnt something i want to do ever.. so i just deal with the uncomfortable position.

idk how i feel about doing a mod like this just yet, but it sounds like it really helps... im at about 500 miles

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:13 PM   #50
GigaHz
Stealth Ninja Pilot

Name: Taco

Motorcycle(s): 1999 EX250 Black

Instead of using superglue try spray adhesive on the zip-tie, it is sticky, like tape, can be removed with solvents (acetone i.e. fingernail polish), more flexible, easier to handle, more environmentally safe, and will last longer than superglue. Do note, superglue was invented for NASA for the space shuttle ceramic tile heat shield, and has a short bond life. This is why the tiles fall off the shuttle. And in part why the shuttle Columbia burned up upon re-entry. I know someone is going to say it crashed because of ice from the external fuel tank, but if superglue was so strong the tiles would have withstood the ice impact and cracked, and not fallen off. I'm an engineer and do know this kind of stuff.
GigaHz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #51
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaHz View Post
Do note, superglue was invented for NASA for the space shuttle ceramic tile heat shield, and has a short bond life.
Couldn't be more wrong, Super Glue (Cyanoacylate) has been around for far more years than the space program has been in service:
http://www.supergluecorp.com/history.html
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #52
GigaHz
Stealth Ninja Pilot

Name: Taco

Motorcycle(s): 1999 EX250 Black

Superglue on zip-ties

Sorry, I stand corrected, however; I did look up the information again and it was not invented, but used for the ceramic tiles on the shuttle. Again sorry for the mistake.
GigaHz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #53
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalFats View Post
Has anyone had an issue with the zip tie coming undone?

I did this mod last nite, and only took a short ride. I like it so far (it's been raining all day).

It was kinda tricky getting the zip tie glued around the curved throttle tube.
Posted via Mobile Device
Superglue will work fine if you clean and prep the surfaces properly. Sand down the sides that make contact with the glue.

If you are really worried, just get an epoxy and it'll stick around for a million years or so.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)

Old September 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #54
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

damn I wanna try this but

1) I'm afraid I'll break something new or old.. I already snapped the plastic nub that goes in the handle bar hole when I was trying to put everything back together during my clip-on installation. I had to super glue the nub back

2) My trackday is this Tuesday and I don't wanna take the risk of breaking something before then

decisions decisions...
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #55
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
damn I wanna try this but

1) I'm afraid I'll break something new or old.. I already snapped the plastic nub that goes in the handle bar hole when I was trying to put everything back together during my clip-on installation. I had to super glue the nub back

2) My trackday is this Tuesday and I don't wanna take the risk of breaking something before then

decisions decisions...
Go to your trackday without altering anything since that is what you are accustomed to.

Then, after, do the mod. The more you mod, the better you get at it. Things break all of the time. Sometimes, you'll find broken parts from poor mechanics or owners and fix them. It's all in the fun and experience of trying to obtain perfection, if there is such a thing.

Old September 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #56
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Yeah, just find the size pipe that will fit the portion where you now have the zip tie glued on.... sorry I forget what diameter pipe the is (1.5"?), but it was close.

bah... here's some pics instead.

KKim,

Is this what you used as a throttle mod on yours?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #57
kkim

nope. I have a Kyle quick turn throttle... recommend doing the zip tie mod instead.

Old September 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #58
porschepatrick912
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja250r

soo just an observation. it may seem as if you are using less energy to achieve WOT but if you know even the most basic theorys about how ratio work, if you do this mod to get the throttle valve to open with less travel at the wrist then there is going to be an increased resistance but it will be minimal. the other observation.. a first gen R6 throttle tube is like 7 or 8 bucks at cycle gear and it drops in, it gives you 1/5 of a turn full throttle.

Old September 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM   #59
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
nope. I have a Kyle quick turn throttle... recommend doing the zip tie mod instead.
what's wrong with Kyle? Just price? $90 is a lot...

btw, there's also an insert for sale if you don't feel like doing your own...not sure if it'd work though.
http://www.doublezracing.com/

Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:15 AM   #60
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschepatrick912 View Post
soo just an observation. it may seem as if you are using less energy to achieve WOT but if you know even the most basic theorys about how ratio work, if you do this mod to get the throttle valve to open with less travel at the wrist then there is going to be an increased resistance but it will be minimal. the other observation.. a first gen R6 throttle tube is like 7 or 8 bucks at cycle gear and it drops in, it gives you 1/5 of a turn full throttle.
Yes, you need to exert a bit more pressure on the throttle. But, it is hardly noticeable, especially when riding. Besides, the extra force makes it feel a little less flimsy, too.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #61
porschepatrick912
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja250r

i was doing some thinking and i feel that if anyone does the ziptie method they should not double the last half of the tube. being able to open the throttle very fast at the upper RPM range may be a bad thing for those of you who like to ride hard and lean far the increased "twitchyness" could lead to a power slide if your not careful with your throttle application

Old September 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #62
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschepatrick912 View Post
i was doing some thinking and i feel that if anyone does the ziptie method they should not double the last half of the tube. being able to open the throttle very fast at the upper RPM range may be a bad thing for those of you who like to ride hard and lean far the increased "twitchyness" could lead to a power slide if your not careful with your throttle application
Hmmmm...is this knowledge gained from riding experience or your theory based on visual imagry based on a highly evolved imagination?

I found the biggest problem with the double zip mod was slight binding. This is something that Kkim warned about.

If it wasn't for the binding, the double zip tie would be the way to go. It makes the throttle response precise.

Old September 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #63
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Look in the throttle housing. There may be a notch that you can file down to clear the thicker zip ties
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #64
RRTRIDER
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

i just finished doing this ziptie mod. going out for a test ride right now. played with the throttle no binding so lets see how it does. i swear putting back the casing took me over an hour. it was pissing me off lol
RRTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #65
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRTRIDER View Post
i just finished doing this ziptie mod. going out for a test ride right now. played with the throttle no binding so lets see how it does. i swear putting back the casing took me over an hour. it was pissing me off lol
how many zipties did you use?

Old November 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #66
RRTRIDER
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

i used one ziptie but i didnt file down the ends and the super glue i used wasnt that great. i noticed a difference but im gonna have to redo it sometime later.
RRTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #67
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRTRIDER View Post
Interesting. Putting it back together should take a few seconds at the most. But, you will have to know how it all goes together and hold down the cable while fitting the housing halves together. You have to squeeze real tight holding them together until you get that top screw screwed in a few times and then you should be good to go.

Old December 4th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #68
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Hey Purespeed...

I'm in the printing business and we do zillions of manuals and stuff. I gotta compliment you on that presentation...not a word is needed, pure visual. Most excellent. And, yeah, I'm gonna do it too.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #69
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Yeah, just find the size pipe that will fit the portion where you now have the zip tie glued on.... sorry I forget what diameter pipe the is (1.5"?), but it was close.

bah... here's some pics instead.

I did this mod on the 08 250R (same thing applies to the pre-gen) with PCV pipe as pictured above. Mine is about 2/3 thick as KKIM pic. which is about 2 zipties. I think I'll take it apart (got another throttle tube of Ebay) and redo it with full thickness. I think it'll work...but I only use 1 pull throttle cable instead of 2. With the second cable in place, it'll bind. So I guess the trick is to remove the second cable. The second cable is there for backup in case the 1st one jams up..but that push cable isn't going to do anything I think if there other one "stuck"...test it out yourself..jam the other one with a plier or something preventing it from retracting...the "push" will do nothing. If anything, you can 1) hit the cut off switch button, or 2) grab the clutch or 3)turn off with the key.
Throttle cable failure without the second push cable is about 0.0001% so weight your risk/benefits wisely

Old December 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #70
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
I'm in the printing business and we do zillions of manuals and stuff. I gotta compliment you on that presentation...not a word is needed, pure visual. Most excellent. And, yeah, I'm gonna do it too.
Appreciate the kind words.

It's always a bit frustrating when you don't have good install instructions. And pictures are far more telling than words. Video is even better still.

So, when Purspeed does a DIY, it's gonna have all the pictures and info you need!

Old December 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #71
null0
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 F17

This looks like a useful mod. I'm thinking about doing the PVC pipe version. Anyone have any suggestions on how I could mount the pvc pipe to a drill so I can 'etch' in a groove/guide - sort of low budget lathe.

Old December 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #72
kkim

A groove isn't needed. look at the stock throttle... there's no groove and the cable is fine.

Old December 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #73
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

This mod is FANTASTIC! I did the single zip tie and man, what an improvement! I now have no lag....rowing through the gears is now silky smooth and it is really easy to keep the bike in the sweet spot.

I used regular brush-on Krazy glue. Removed the brake lever and both cables, ground/sanded down zip tie, sanded throttle tube, applied a minimal amount of glue and the zip tie held fine.

Why have I been riding my 07 for over 2 years and never heard of this before??

Love it.
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #74
null0
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 F17

Quote:
A groove isn't needed. look at the stock throttle... there's no groove and the cable is fine.
I was considering using that to adjust the throttle pull. Get a length of pvc pipe. Cut a section off, if it's too high for me put a little groove on the next one,..., until I find a height that I like.

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #75
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

had to resurrect this thread...

i have over 48k miles on the 250 and i am thinking of doing this mod but still hesitant because over in the ninja250 forum someone said there is no benefit in regular street riding because of the on and off touchy response...

for those of you that did this awhile ago do you still like the mod?...pros and cons?...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #76
kkim

I have the zip tie mod equivalent in a quick turn throttle tube. I love the faster response of the larger diameter throttle.

Good thing about the zip tie mod is that if you don't like it, it's easily reversible.

on/off touchy response??? sounds like the carbs might be set a bit lean to me.

Old February 16th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #77
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

thanks for the fast reply kelly...

anybody else?...quick... my hands are getting itchy for this mod...is this good for technical roads and canyons?...

Old February 17th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #78
Zim
ninjette.org member

Name: Zim

Motorcycle(s): '04 EX250F

Just try it and see if you like it. It's not like you're tearing the motor down or anything. If it sucks, take the zip tie off. Snappier throttle response is almost always a good thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #79
Zim
ninjette.org member

Name: Zim

Motorcycle(s): '04 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post
i have over 48k miles on the 250 and i am thinking of doing this mod but still hesitant because over in the ninja250 forum someone said there is no benefit in regular street riding because of the on and off touchy response...
Do you have a link to that thread/flamefest? Searched and didn't see anything over there.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #80
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

here it is...

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=649903#649903

should i go directly to a 2 zip ties mod?...