Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #1
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Better than Kerosene - A New Chain Cleaner

There have been multiple threads about the best way to clean one's chain before reapplying chain lube. Usually this is in context of why WD-40 works, but isn't completely ideal. General consensus has been to use kerosene. Here is one such lengthy discussion, including some test results on o-ring degradation from various cleaners: Recommended Alternatives to Chain Cleaning. In short, testing showed that prolonged exposure reduced o-ring strength by about 20% if you use WD-40, but only by about 10% if you used kerosene. And all the other cleaners were much, much worse.

So based on limited options, some doubt about WD-40, kerosene it is. But there is a fairly new product which may be the best yet. The genius chemists at Dupont tried to get a good cleaner that didn't degrade o-rings at all, and came up with a chain cleaner that they say is environmentally friendly and better for o-rings than even kerosene. Webbikeworld loves it, and raved about it sufficiently that I've just bought a couple of cans to try out. I'll report in. Here is the link to the webbikeworld review.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I'd like to hear about your experience with it after you use it. I'm skeptical about any heavy duty cleaner "safe for use on x"

I have a parts cleaner at work using a solvent that's supposed to be more environmentally friendly and I swear I could clean greasy parts just as well with water.

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I never use any type of cleaner or solvent on a motorcycle chain. If I think the chain is lookin a bit dirty, I use gear lube to lube it and then let it sling off on it's own (I actually have a bit of a procedure I go through). So every 3rd or 4th lubing is gear lube instead of the usual lube I use. I get excellent chain and sprocket wear

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The before and after pics in the WBW review were very impressive. Keep in mind that they did have to scrub and repeat but that is just part of chain cleaning.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Wink

Kerosene is a much more effective cleaner when it's heated.

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #6
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

I've seen this online but have yet to see it at my local motorcycle shops or other shops for that matter.

Gonna get it on amazon soon enough
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #7
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Check tractor supply store, or some of the larger walmarts have it in the auto sections.
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Edit: going to scrounge the stores after works.

Old November 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #9
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
I never use any type of cleaner or solvent on a motorcycle chain. If I think the chain is lookin a bit dirty, I use gear lube to lube it and then let it sling off on it's own (I actually have a bit of a procedure I go through). So every 3rd or 4th lubing is gear lube instead of the usual lube I use. I get excellent chain and sprocket wear
+1

I use the Dupont teflon stuff and if it is applied liberally it cleans pretty well before it dries. My buddy used it to touch up his chain before we hit the twisties and it took his petroleum lube right off.

I used to do the whole WD-40, then kerosene, and relube with wax or we but I have noticed no difference or problems in lubing how I do. And this is in a town where chain contaminants are EXTREME (constant dust/sand).
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #10
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Been using the degreaser now for 2 chain cleanings/relubes and it works great. Science from DuPont showing it doesn't degrade o-rings is a nice change from Kerosine/WD-40, either of which are actually fine for short term exposure provided you clean them off. But this stuff works just as well without risk even on a long soak. Good stuff, recommended.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; November 20th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.

Old November 20th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #11
ninjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 12 Ninja 1000

Floyd thanks for all the time and research you did on this! Saves the rest of us time and money. Next time I'm in Barbados I'll buy you a Banks brewski.
ninjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #12
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Look me up, but it'd be downright inhospitable of me not to be the one buying the beer. Banks is on me.

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #13
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I cant say that I know if this has been better or less effective than chemical cleaning but I've been blsting my chain with air from a scuba tank.Tank presure has been anywhere from 3000psi to few hunfred psi ( depending on what was left in the tank). It's quick, appears to be effective, almost no clean up i have about 17k on my stock chain.
The pressure is much higher than one can get from a home compressor and i have a hose tip that's maybe 1\ 8" opening. I mean...it seems to work OK.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #14
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

what do you use to lube your chain FLoyd? I figure I should probably be doing that soon....
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #15
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
You should lube every 300 or 400 miles. Lots of good options, but I prefer a lube that is relatively clean and not super gunky. So while they lube well and last long, avoid a graphite/moly lube. Super messy.

Maxima chain wax is very popular, and there are also similar waxes by Castrol, Repsol, BelRay, etc. all which will work well if you are cleaning and lubing regularly. Personally, I'm now using Dupont Teflon Multi-Use. Dupont also makes a purpose built Dupont Teflon Chain Saver lube specifically designed for motorcycle chains. The Dupont teflon multi use has been used widely in the motorcycling world for a long time with great success before Dupont's chain specific stuff came out, and I'm still using the old formula. It is a bit thinner and cleaner than the chain specific stuff, but won't last as long. I clean and lube often enough that it doesn't matter for my chain, thus my preference for multi-use. I like how clean it goes on, and it is a bit cheaper where I buy.

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; November 20th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

Old November 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #16
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Thanks! Ill order some tomorrow
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

+1 on the Du Pont teflon chain saver. After I used up my can of PJ1 blue label, which was good stuff as well, I picked up a can of the Du Pont. It was cheaper and came in a bigger can than the PJ1 so why not. I noticed right away when I started to apply it on my chain that it dries quicker and feel more dry to the touch than the PJ1 which takes a bit longer to dry and feels more sticky. It remains to be seen but hopefully the more dry application of the Du Pont means that it will attract less dirt and grime.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote