ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #41
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Alex,

They get hammered from simple road defects, and because they are ball bearings, the point of contact is tiny, it gets flat, they get looser and hit harder, getting flatter again and can easily cause a wobble at high speeds. My tapered ones got loose after a few hundred miles, and I could feel it at everything over walking speeds. Normal to need to snug them as the grease and bearing settles in. I packed them like our MX bikes so they were jammed full. LOL.

They might just be loose too, but they are garbage and replacing them tightens up the whole chassie. If they are loose, they are finished IMO anyway.

I don't get why someone would drop a negative rating on that suggestion, and don't really care either. I only know cause the notification things advised me to look.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #42
accident-prone

Yes, I read the reviews before I bought the bike. I'm not convinced it's not the shock, since the test rider was not 110lbs, and the spring rate is not correct for me. I will have the dealer look at the bike tomorrow, but I definitely read reviews before I make large purchases.

This is why I am so, so bummed about this bike not working out for me. I though I'd sell the FZR, but have kept it for longer trips, anything beyond around town because of the shaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
RE: vibration;

This is what your bike should feel like.

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #43
old3
ninjette.org sage

I don't see the mileage listed??? I'd be checking for a thrown wheel weight too.

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #44
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by accident-prone View Post
Yes, I read the reviews before I bought the bike. I'm not convinced it's not the shock, since the test rider was not 110lbs, and the spring rate is not correct for me. I will have the dealer look at the bike tomorrow, but I definitely read reviews before I make large purchases.

This is why I am so, so bummed about this bike not working out for me. I though I'd sell the FZR, but have kept it for longer trips, anything beyond around town because of the shaking.
Just as a query:
Is the vibration pure up-down or is it more of a general one? I may be dumb (disclosure: I've never done anything with shocks other than get my preload adjusted) but I'd expect a shock would have a much more dramatic up/down impact than left right.

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #45
accident-prone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
The bike was new? 0 miles?
3 miles I think. They did test ride the thing...

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #46
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
It has not been down. Top of the bike was scratched in transit to the dealer. Tiny little scratches on the TOP from something being stacked on top. Thus, they are replacing the scratched parts. Sigh. I feel like every explanation I give just leads to more misunderstanding about what I have said on here. I know you guys are trying to help, but please don't assume things I haven't said. It's very frustrating!
when you don't answer the questions we ask about the problem you are having it makes it difficult to try to help you. maybe if you would... just... tell us more about the shaking problem you are having... instead of telling us how we are wrong and don't know what we are talking about...

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #47
accident-prone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Just as a query:
Is the vibration pure up-down or is it more of a general one? I may be dumb (disclosure: I've never done anything with shocks other than get my preload adjusted) but I'd expect a shock would have a much more dramatic up/down impact than left right.
I guess it's more up/down since standing on the pegs instead of sitting on the seat lessens it dramatically. I'm also wondering if there is a difference in highway quality where you are. The roads here are bumpy and choppy already - on any bike. So, a stiff shock might make it that much more noticeable...

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #48
accident-prone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
when you don't answer the questions we ask about the problem you are having it makes it difficult to try to help you. maybe if you would... just... tell us more about the shaking problem you are having... instead of telling us how we are wrong and don't know what we are talking about...
Just to clarify, I'm not answering you specifically because you're being kind of mean to me. It's specific to you - and I won't answer the mean response you have to this remark, nor any further "helpful critiques" you try to give me. I am grateful for the advice everyone else has given on this thread, and will bring that input to the dealership with me tomorrow.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #49
accident-prone

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
I don't see the mileage listed??? I'd be checking for a thrown wheel weight too.

I bought it at 2 or 3 miles. It's a little over 500 now.

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #50
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Is it rpm related; If you get going 85 and pull the clutch in, does it still happen? Can you replicate it in first gear at high rpm's?

Is it only over bumps or also on smooth road; Does it feel just as harsh over a speed bump as it does on a freeway?

Also this might sound really dumb, but do you have a bulge in either of your tires and/or are your rims out of true? I've had this happen on a mountain bike before...

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #51
old3
ninjette.org sage

What was the sag measurement?

And the steering head bearings could simply be loose on a new bike. My front brake caliper was finger tight.

I can't keep up. Now it is 500 miles? Rough roads? Check the bearings. If you grab the front brake and rock the bike back & forth and have someone put a finger at the steering head to triple clamp contact area to feel for any movement. If you feel a click that's it.

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #52
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
I'm not convinced it's not the shock, since the test rider was not 110lbs, and the spring rate is not correct for me.
This is wrong. It's not mean to tell you it's wrong. It's correct to tell you it's wrong. What you do with that information is up to you. I have to tell you, it is frustrating to those who really are trying to help you understand what's wrong with your new bike. What you are experiencing is not normal, and your diagnosis is off-base.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #53
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
OK, let me get this right. just trying to fully understand the situation.

expert 10 year rider... seeks help... acts condescending when someone who knows nothing about OP suggests that they are barking up the wrong tree... OP mad when that someone gets condescending back, even though they are still trying to identify what the actual problem is. numerous others agree OP is barking up the wrong tree... now OP refuses further help, even refusing to actually clarify the problem. because the people trying to help the OP are... "kind of mean".

i'm sure you're successful in many facets of life. have fun with your dealer.

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #54
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
This is wrong. It's not mean to tell you it's wrong. It's correct to tell you it's wrong. What you do with that information is up to you. I have to tell you, it is frustrating to those who really are trying to help you understand what's wrong with your new bike. What you are experiencing is not normal, and your diagnosis is off-base.
I'm inclined to agree with Alex here; I'm even lighter and have no issues. Have you had someone heavier ride the bike? Or maybe ridden 'with weights' (maybe some heavy items in a backpack for a test)?

Old March 25th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #55
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Are you for real?
Ok, I LMAOed at that Alex! Epic response!

Quote:
Sigh. I feel like every explanation I give just leads to more misunderstanding about what I have said on here. I know you guys are trying to help, but please don't assume things I haven't said. It's very frustrating!
Honey, you need to relax. Seriously. Don't get so worked up.

Quote:
Just to clarify, I'm not answering you specifically because you're being kind of mean to me. It's specific to you - and I won't answer the mean response you have to this remark, nor any further "helpful critiques" you try to give me. I am grateful for the advice everyone else has given on this thread, and will bring that input to the dealership with me tomorrow.
Alex knows his ****. You just gotta get past his goofy, Alex-cynicism. There are only a handful of folks on this board whose advice I trust based on their knowledge and experience. He is one of them. You may be just a bit sensitive and defensive.

Quote:
I have to tell you, it is frustrating to those who really are trying to help you understand what's wrong with your new bike. What you are experiencing is not normal, and your diagnosis is off-base.

And don't beg and plead for women to comment on this thread when you shoot down every bit of helpful advice you are given. Just go to your mechanic friend unless you want to learn from the good advice from the folks here who are offering it freely.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #56
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
alex-cynicism! a phrase coined just for me! i feel so special!

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #57
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
WTF and WOW all at the same time

Old March 26th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #58
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Have you tried gaining 20-30lbs to see if that helps?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs

Old March 26th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #59
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I weigh a bit under 110 lbs. and I haven't noticed any vibration issues with the 300 in the nearly 3k miles I've put on it so far. Definitely a much smoother ride than my old pre-gen 250. I'm not sure what is up with your bike, but I highly doubt it's the suspension.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #60
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
I trust the dealership about as far as I can throw them because most good mechanics are worth more then what a dealership pays and don't stick around long, so the ones that are left are simply wrench turners.

I'm not a qualified mechanic, I don't weight 110lbs, and I don't own a 300 but I believe those things to be irrelevant to understanding a motorcycle. What I do have is many years of racing experience most at the world and national levels(I'm not your local AFM fast guy, Im much faster ) and I ride a 250 more then most and much harder then most so I understand its strength and flaws better then the average rider.

Ill make you the same offer I made to Jiggles when he had his handling problem with his Ninja 1000. You can ride your bike out to my shop in Livermore and we can go for a quick ride(both of us) so I can visually see the problem your dealing with. If you feel comfortable with it(most wouldn't and i understand) ill even ride the bike myself to confirm wether its a weight problem or something more serious. Afterwards if I think its a quick fix ill ether try something or give you my opinion and you can do with it what you want. Oh yeah ill even do all this for FREE since I just like helping out other riders understand their bike just a little bit more. They say their is no such thing as a free lunch and yet here it is

Don't mind my earlier post, like many other I have a sarcastic sense of humor and couldn't resist the temptation seeing how this thread got so heated so quickly.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #61
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Don't mind my earlier post, like many other I have a sarcastic sense of humor and couldn't resist the temptation seeing how this thread got so heated so quickly.

Link to original page on YouTube.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #62
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I've never heard, or experienced such a tale as this shaking... Hope you get it figured out though, don't see how standing on the pegs corrects it either
Make ya say hmmmm

Old March 26th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #63
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Most generous offer by @rojoracing53... I'd jump on it if I wasn't 20,000 miles away...

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #64
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hey jason, if i come by your shop, will you teach me how to race start? LOL

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #65
old3
ninjette.org sage

Weird thread for sure.

Anyway, I had another thought on it overnight. My forks were packing on multiple high speed compressions. Could that be what she was describing?

I dropped in the Emulators and expected to be taking the forks apart over & over again to adjust them but they work really well now. All I did was cut the preload spacers to match the height of the valves, stock oil, stock height, no holes drilled out in the damper rod. I'm guessing the valving is holding them up in the stroke enough to deal with those multiple hits now. It got firmer and doesn't bottom constantly on single hits or in braking.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125693

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #66
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
hey jason, if i come by your shop, will you teach me how to race start? LOL
No but you have a more local expert on the subject of starts named Jon

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #67
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
The break in period matters because the issue only becomes a problem at high speeds/rpms.

Are you a dealership or do you have a 300?
Quote:
Are you for real?

This had me

Sometimes, just sometimes, the mind can make that little shake and bump seem 100x bigger than what it truly appears to be: A simple bump & shake. But hey, what do I know. Just get an Ohlins rearshock and be done with it. I hear it builds confidence and sorts all kinds of issues.

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #68
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
bwahahahhahaha

this thread..... WINNER!

Old March 26th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #69
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
BWahahahaha! I just got

Old March 26th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #70
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
@accident-prone wna swap 300s? I'll warn you tho, the black ones are really fast
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs

Old March 26th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #71
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Norman

Motorcycle(s): BMW K12RS, DL650 , New 2013 "WonderBike" Ninja300SE

I hope to hear what the final result of this is...whether there is really a shock issue, another issue causing the "shaking", or is it just a relatively stiff suspension with a 110 pound rider? I weigh 190, have the rear shock set in position 2 and I think it is relatively stiff. Which I think is a good thing for this bike. But I come from a dual sport background. If I weighed 110 and was in the lightest position (1) would the relative stiffness be the same or close? I can see how, at speed, she feels the ride is a little too firm.....her complaint is only at high speed, which could be difficult for her Kawi service dept. to duplicate..........

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #72
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorguy View Post
I hope to hear what the final result of this is...whether there is really a shock issue, another issue causing the "shaking", or is it just a relatively stiff suspension with a 110 pound rider? I weigh 190, have the rear shock set in position 2 and I think it is relatively stiff. Which I think is a good thing for this bike. But I come from a dual sport background. If I weighed 110 and was in the lightest position (1) would the relative stiffness be the same or close? I can see how, at speed, she feels the ride is a little too firm.....her complaint is only at high speed, which could be difficult for her Kawi service dept. to duplicate..........
high speed shaking so violent you need to stand on the pegs means there is something wrong with a wheel.

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #73
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
high speed shaking so violent you need to stand on the pegs means there is something wrong with a wheel.
Either that or shaking the bike and riding on bumpy roads then blaming something's wrong with the rear shock ain't the answer.

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #74
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Quote:
The wheel and the shock?

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #75
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
The wheel and the shock?
no. just the wheel.

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #76
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
no. just the wheel.
Do you mean the shock AND the spring?

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #77
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Norman

Motorcycle(s): BMW K12RS, DL650 , New 2013 "WonderBike" Ninja300SE

Quote:
Alex, did she say " shaking so violent she needed to stand on the pegs"? If so, and it is the wheel...Kawi service should be able to figure that out at lower speeds...or even static?!

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #78
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorguy View Post
Alex, did she say " shaking so violent she needed to stand on the pegs"? If so, and it is the wheel...Kawi service should be able to figure that out at lower speeds...or even static?!

Quote:
I think saying that it shakes at high speeds so much that my glasses vibrate, I can't see, and I have to stand on the footpegs to correct this is pretty specific,

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #79
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm wondering where she's experiencing this as well. Truth be told, there is a short section of 880 going right past Oakland, which feels like driving on the surface of the moon. On any sportbike, once you get to that section, it really does feel like something is wrong with the bike. It rattles around and vibrates to the point where you wonder if you threw a wheel weight or the engine dropped a cylinder. But - it's less than a mile long, so once through you realize it was the roadway and not the vehicle. If one only used that part of the road to test suspension, every bike would feel terrible except for the most compliant or sacked out/soft suspension. I dial back the BMW bike from Sport to Comfort just for this section, and toggle it back afterwards, and it's probably the only place ever that I even go to that trouble.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #80
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I'm wondering where she's experiencing this as well. Truth be told, there is a short section of 880 going right past Oakland, which feels like driving on the surface of the moon. On any sportbike, once you get to that section, it really does feel like something is wrong with the bike. It rattles around and vibrates to the point where you wonder if you threw a wheel weight or the engine dropped a cylinder. But - it's less than a mile long, so once through you realize it was the roadway and not the vehicle. If one only used that part of the road to test suspension, every bike would feel terrible except for the most compliant or sacked out/soft suspension. I dial back the BMW bike from Sport to Comfort just for this section, and toggle it back afterwards, and it's probably the only place ever that I even go to that trouble.
her 99 fzr 600's rear shock is more likely than not at close to 0 damping by now. so it would make sense that it's a much nicer, more pleasant experience driving over those moon craters

Closed Thread