ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 8th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #1
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Problem with Backpack and Riding Jacket

I'm a new rider, and I just purchased my first armored mesh jacket, and I'm loving this thing. It's giving me lots of additional confidence and the breathability in the hot Texas sun is really nice.

I have the need to carry things with me, and so I have been using a small backpack to stow everything inside of. It's just a cheap Wal-Mart pack with two padded shoulder straps.

This was working fine until I tried to wear it with the new jacket. The shoulder straps cause the zippered front of the jacket to bunch up into a peak, that happens to be annoying when doing a head check. It doesn't prevent it, but it's definitely in the way. Initially, I was concerned that this was the jacket's fault, but I took a test ride without the backpack, and it was just fine, leaving the cause exposed as the backpack.

My question is if there is some way for me to prevent this bunching up from happening while still being able to use the backpack, or am I probably going to need to find a pack that has the cross-chest strap or go with a pricey tank bag or something?
goldfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2
SSG54
ninjette.org member

Name: Benny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

if its not too big of a back pack, just get a cargo net and strap it to the bitch seat they are only about $10
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
SSG54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3
goldfox
ninjette.org member

The backpack I'm using is about 12" x 18" and no more than 6" deep when I have it full.

I took your advice and ordered a netting to see how it will work out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RBQF4G

I was eyeballing the Joe Rocket Manta and those Icon Squad packs. The Squad II sure had me drooling, lol. Definitely a lot more expensive, though.

I can suffer a few days until the package arrives and hopefully this net will serve the purpose nicely.

Old June 9th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #4
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Get a bungee net! It'll save your back and it can be used to carry more things than any bag. Mine has held down everything from artwork to my huge backpack, a catalytic converter, a box with a car battery in it...

edit: I see that you have, good job

You can also leave them on the bike without too much worry about them getting taken. Even if they are...hey, it was 7 bucks vs. a 50+ dollar tail or tank bag.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #5
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Yep, you never know what you might need to carry with you from day to day. Random stuff comes up all the time. That's two votes already for the cargo net, so I think it'll work out great if it's a common choice for a solution.

Old June 9th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #6
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Another reason while you will love the cargo net is that the backpack pressing on your back will prevent the wind from blowing through your mesh jacket properly.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
You don't need a bungie net.

Get creative and figure out a way to use the existing straps to attach it to the back of your bike.

I have a tank bag that has shoulder straps and if I cross them under the tail in an X it yields a rig that looks like it was specifically made for the purpose.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Synergy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

That's cool until it scratches the **** out of your paintwork from rubbing and vibrations
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Not shown is the little piece of blue painter's tape i put on the fairing to prevent that.
Haven't had a scratch yet. Tape rides in the bag so I can put a fresh piece on every time.

Old June 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #10
goldfox
ninjette.org member

That's a neat little trick, but there's no way to do it in that way on my '06 250 I don't think - looking at the body style back there. Might be possible to fudge something, but sure doesn't look possible to me

Old June 9th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfox View Post
.......The shoulder straps cause the zippered front of the jacket to bunch up into a peak, that happens to be annoying when doing a head check. It doesn't prevent it, but it's definitely in the way..........

Be careful with the straps of the backpack reaching the wheel or chain.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
That's a neat little trick, but there's no way to do it in that way on my '06 250 I don't think - looking at the body style back there. Might be possible to fudge something, but sure doesn't look possible to me
Believe me, it is. There's literally nothing under the tail of that GSXR but smooth plastic and a license plate.. Get creative. The straps cross in an X in front of the plate, which keeps the pack from sliding aft. You have turn signal stalks (which I don't) and those can keep it from sliding forward. You can also loop them through the passenger pegs. If you don't have passenger pegs any more, use the subframe.

There are all kinds of opportunities to tie stuff to your bike.

Besides, what were you going to hook the bungee net to?

Old June 9th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #13
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

One more vote for a bungee net. You really don't want to be riding with a backpack at all. In the summer it restricts airflow on your back which keeps you cool. The rest of the time, it is just one more thing that you physically have to deal with. In the event of a crash, you really don't want anything back there either.

I rode with a backpack for years in college, and then one day I said screw it and left all my stuff in a locker at school. It felt so different, and I wasn't nearly as tired or hot. That one ride was enough to remind me of how much I hated riding with a backpack.
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #14
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the advice regarding airflow, etc. everyone.

@adouglas - While I haven't yet attempted to attach the net to the bike, there are four flip-up mounting points that I assume are for this purpose. I may find out that those don't work for some things, and will have to find other places to hook to. Without ever having done it before, I have no way to know.

Old June 10th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.........While I haven't yet attempted to attach the net to the bike, there are four flip-up mounting points that I assume are for this purpose. I may find out that those don't work for some things, and will have to find other places to hook to..........
The cargo net works perfectly with those hooks; I use mine everyday.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #16
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Alright, got the bungee in the mail today, and gave it a test ride. I wasn't sure what size to get (they had a couple), so I got the smaller 12" net (24" at max stretch), but I'm now curious if I might want to get another one to use depending on the load I'm carrying.

The net I got also came with hooks that aren't "meant" to be adjusted, which means their current positioning is a little awkward due to there being 3 hooks per side, and only 2 mount points per side. Since it's the 12" version, it can't really mount to the frame/passenger pegs if there's anything inside, and there's no other places to really hook it too. Because of this, I might either open up the connected end of these hooks so they can be placed in different points of the netting, or at least just remove the center ones (for the test run, I just tucked the hooks into the netting itself - I did try them also attached, but neither way made a difference in how secure it was).

It's a pretty snug fit, which I would rather have over it not being secure enough, but I will likely need to be careful about anything fragile or bendable. The test ride went well. I did some bumpy roads, high speeds, low speeds, turns, etc. Everything stayed secure, yay!

Now, I feel funny mounting the bike, as I normally toss my leg over the back part of the seat, but this is a little in the way (and will be quite a bit in the way with a bigger load). I'm going to have to get used to mounting a little differently.

Old June 12th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #17
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Now, I feel funny mounting the bike, as I normally toss my leg over the back part of the seat, but this is a little in the way (and will be quite a bit in the way with a bigger load). I'm going to have to get used to mounting a little differently.
You get used to that, and if you have too tall a load you can use the foot pegs to mount the bike if you need to.

Old June 13th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #18
goldfox
ninjette.org member

@ChaoSS - Thanks for the peg tip, that works wonders! I honestly hadn't even considered doing that.

Old June 13th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #19
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
@ChaoSS - Thanks for the peg tip, that works wonders! I honestly hadn't even considered doing that.
It's funny, I never used to do that, then I got a touring bike, and I almost have to mount the bike that way, then one day I realized that hey, this would work well on the ninja too, when I have a crapload of stuff on the back,.

Old June 13th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #20
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

With a pregen, you can cut the metal hooks off your net and just loop it under the bike's flip-up bungee hooks.

Also, check out tank bags with backpack straps. I use a Rapid Transit Recon 19. I'm sure there are several magnetic and tank lock bags that include backpack straps.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote