ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Sipper'
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Jetting help

Been searching the archives for info but still need help.

04 is stock as of now except for two washers under the needles and 3 turns out on the mixture screws, but I will soon be adding a Muzzy and removing the air box snorkel. ASL is 1000'. What jetting should I start with?

Thanks.
Sipper' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Qomomoko
ninjette.org guru

Name: Luis

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja 250, 2005 R6, 2002 Ducati Monster S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipper' View Post
Been searching the archives for info but still need help.

04 is stock as of now except for two washers under the needles and 3 turns out on the mixture screws, but I will soon be adding a Muzzy and removing the air box snorkel. ASL is 1000'. What jetting should I start with?

Thanks.
i bought a 93 ninja and the guy said it had a jet kit… then i opened it to clean it and saw no needle with adjusters so he said he probably placed washers under the needles.. but there were none….

so I guess I'll continue to play mechanic… and start searching here for what to do without buying a "stage 3 jet " kit which for the now I really do not know what or how it works…

the bike runs well as it is.. maybe I should not bother for now.
Qomomoko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #3
fuel664
ninjette.org member

Name: robert

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, v65 magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qomomoko View Post
i bought a 93 ninja and the guy said it had a jet kit… then i opened it to clean it and saw no needle with adjusters so he said he probably placed washers under the needles.. but there were none….

so I guess I'll continue to play mechanic… and start searching here for what to do without buying a "stage 3 jet " kit which for the now I really do not know what or how it works…

the bike runs well as it is.. maybe I should not bother for now.

look inside the slide sometimes the washers stick to the slide and you will see it with a flashlight after you pull out the needle. they can stay on pretty good if they are dirty. and ive never bought the jetting kits but the jets and washers separately from jetsrus. its a bit cheaper if you know what size you want.

as for op i couldnt tell you what to expect. but will probably have to step up your main jet a size or two. i have pods with muzzy and im
- up 1 or 2 sizes on main
- 2 washers on needle
- 1 size up on pilot
- 2 turns of idle screw i believe
fuel664 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Okay first off leave stock pilot jet alone, 2 turns isn't enough, and stay away from pods.

I will assume for now the carburetors have been meticulously cleaned, and all is okay, including the floats have been set correctly.

Now here's my 2˘,

Quote:
Your initial setting should be 3 full turns out from the bottom, remember just slightly tighten them, don't go all Conan on them.

Then warm it up, slowly turn 1 side pilot screw in until the rpms drop, then back out till RPM's peak (and no further)* Twist throttle...see how it reacts...tweak to taste.
Repeat on other side... test ride. You're looking for best throttle response and transition from just cracked to 1/4 throttle opening or so.*

Thats a quickie, 10 cent tutorial on setting pilot screws.**
Quote:
I would highly recommend that you DO NOT REMOVE THE AIR BOX, the carburetors on the bike are CV type and need to box to function properly, buy a K&N that fits the OEM airbox(K&N KA-2508 Kawasaki High Performance Replacement Air Filter by K&N* *Amazon.com: K&N KA-2508 Kawasaki High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive* ) that's the short version.

Long boring but important answer, CV carbs stands for "constant velocity". The function of the carbs is dependent on having a calm reservoir (airbox) from which to intake air at said constant velocity. Pods draw from the turbulent, unpredictable air swirling past them as you ride, which is anything but constant. Other carbs work fine with pods. CV's = no bueno, save yourself the headaches.

Now onto jetting, first you need to tune the idle mixture screws first, I recommend 3 full turns out from bottom as a good starting point, then fine tune them afterwards. As far as buying a jet kit, I personally don't have one on either my 250, or 500 ninjas. I did got up one size on my main jets, due to they are lean from the factory, and shimmed the main needles with a small washer.
I would tune the idle mixture screws first, then washers, then maybe change out the main jets, one size. Make one change at a time!!!!

One must remember what parts of the carburetor are responsible for what.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg tapatalk_1408312924777.jpeg (11.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: gif tapatalk_1407014671719.gif (18.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg tapatalk_1409163727924.jpeg (17.8 KB, 2 views)

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #5
fuel664
ninjette.org member

Name: robert

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, v65 magna

i agree with ghostt. but sadly a drunkin mistake lead to my air box being thrown into the fire pit. so to clean up under my bike i just went with pods they were 1/2 the price of a air box and looked x10 better but my bike is naked.
fuel664 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #6
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

If he's getting a full exhaust system then he will probably have to rejet. If it was just a slip on then just washers would be alright. Get the factory pro kit instead of the dynojet one and use this guide. Just keep the float height stock and follow the rest.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html

Also search for the jetting database it's a good starting point. Now you can always get another airbox on eBay because getting the jetting right can be a real pain. I probably wouldn't have fooled with it knowing what I know now but you will get an increase in power at the top end with the right setup.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote