ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #1
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Name: Checho

Motorcycle(s): Harley Street 750

Video Games

I play video games a few times a week. At what age is to old for video games? Just curious on everyone thoughts.....
checho323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

It's kinda like asking the question, "at what age is it too old to have fun?". As long as you have your priorities in order and video games aren't consuming your life, I don't see an issue with older people enjoying themselves if video games is what amuses them.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
It's kinda like asking the question, "at what age is it too old to have fun?". As long as you have your priorities in order and video games aren't consuming your life, I don't see an issue with older people enjoying themselves if video games is what amuses them.
+1000

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing."

I forget who said that, but it speaks volumes imo.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

I stopped spending money on video games since I was eighteen years old. I realized that if I never spent a dime on anything video game related I would have a lot of extra money today to spend on something that would really mean a lot more to me now.

Almost everything video game related I have ever bought has been a waste of money. If you really recollect everything you have ever bought --the Gameboy Color, numerous game cartridges, the stupid accessories that you had to have as a kid, such as the worm light.

It is weird to think that there was no backlight on the Gameboy back then. LOL

Then fast forward to the original Xbox and spending $50 on the next hot game every so often. I must have at least $500 worth of video games in my collection. Probably more. Then include the Xbox Live fees. Next comes Xbox 360.

Even further down the road came a few PC games, especially World of Warcraft. $15 a month for a few years. That lead me to spending about $800 on a nice gaming rig (worth it) which would last me a couple years before the latest and greatest hardware became obsolete.

I don't think there's really an age limit. I played with people in their 30's. It's like asking when are you too old to stop trick or treating.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
It's like asking when are you too old to stop trick or treating.
I would be a little concerned and suspicious if I saw a 30 year old knock on my door asking for a trick or treat...

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Heed

Quote:
I would be a little concerned and suspicious if I saw a 30 year old knock on my door asking for a trick or treat...
ok...bad example

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

I recently got out of video games, but only because I don't have much free time for them any more. I preordered the new Batman game for PS3 a while back, but I still haven't bought it. There goes $5 down the drain.
I don't think you can ever be too old to play games.

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Quote:
ok...bad example
No problem. I thought maybe you were talking about someone "special" for a moment.

Any ways, if these folks are still playing, I don't think there is an age limit .

"The most wasted of all days is that in which we have not laughed. ~Nicolas Chamfort"

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #9
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Lol, funny stuff. Well I Have xbox and ONLY play the COD games and sports games online.

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #10
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I'm a PC gamer and enthusiast. I use gaming and tweaking my system as a means to relax.
I upgrade my hardware about every 3-4 years. During that time period I continually overclock and push my system.

I rarely buy new games when they are released since most games have a price reduction within the first two months of release.

Most of my gaming time is spent playing MMO's and online FPS's.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
I don't think there's really an age limit. I played with people in their 30's.
In their 30's? Serious? For some reason, the thought of people that old playing video games just seems wrong.

I have MW3 on preorder

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

There is no age limit if that is your hobby I guess.

I never got into video games. As a kid my parents would never buy me a system for Christmas or my birthday so I actually lived a life that wasn't behind a tv or computer screen growing up. I am 20 years old now and hate video games. You couldn't get me to sit down and play games for hours. I like seeing the real world. Growing up I was kinda mad I never had a system but looking back on it now, I love my parents for not letting me have a game system.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #13
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
In their 30's? Serious? For some reason, the thought of people that old playing video games just seems wrong.

I have MW3 on preorder

Please tell me you are being sarcastic? I have played mmo's with people in their 50's and I am currently 35 and am addicted to pc gaming. I don't see the harm in it as long as you don't let it ruin your life. I don't go out because of other reasons, so I take up that time by playing games, mostly F2P online games with other people.

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #14
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Yeah, The average game player is 37 years old. I just Googled it. It surprised me. http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #15
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

I'm 21 and love video games, when i have the time that is. It's a way for me to unwind. I see nothing wrong with playing video games at any age. I remember seeing a YT clip of a "grandpa" playing call of duty on a nightly basis.
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #16
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

Quote:
Nuff said!
[#4]
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i make videogames. NEVER STOP BUYING VIDEOGAMES. i dont really care if you play them or not.

Old November 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #18
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I'm 34 and play plenty of video games. My favorites are racing games and the Modern Warfare games. Before MW my favorite was Counter-Strike. As others have mentioned, if you like video games, you never really stop playing. It just becomes less a part of your life as other things become more. It pains me to accept the fact that I will never be in the top 10% of FPS players like I was when I was 23 and could devote an hour a day or more to Counter-Strike, but there's other things I choose to spend my time on now, like cocaine and hookers. I hope this serves as a valuable life lesson.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #19
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

I grew up on Quake. Here's us oldtimers complaining about today's shooters.

Link to original page on YouTube.

shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post

I have MW3 on preorder
Yep. completely normal people who make more than plenty for a living.

I don't blame them. I'd sit on my ass 8 hours every day to play WoW as long as I was mentally and physically healthy

Old November 5th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #21
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Please tell me you are being sarcastic?
I'm 44

Old November 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #22
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I started playing World of Tanks since August.

Pretty entertaining, historically acurate with the tanks that they have available on the game.

Most important, it's free... just need a decent computer.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #23
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

I'm in the >20 age bracket and still play video games.

I don't put in as many hours like I did when I was younger but I still enjoy the diversion.

Hey, I grew up when video games first hit the scene! I remember running to the corner market after Elementary school to be the first kid to drop his quarter into "Space Invaders" or "Moon Cresta".

Over the years, I've fought over "Pong" at a friend's house, got the Atari 2600 for Christmas another year, listened to "Pac-Man Fever" on the radio, played the NES at my girlfriend's house, got a Sega during another Christmas, won a Nintendo 64 from a cereal box... Video games have always been a part of my life.

My wife told my kids that we wouldn't have any game consoles in the house if it weren't for the fact that I play too.

I'm currently playing "Batman: Arkham City". Awesome sequel.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #24
rockNroll

I will be picking up my MW3 at 12:01 am tonight. w00t!

Old November 8th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #25
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
I started playing World of Tanks since August.

Pretty entertaining, historically acurate with the tanks that they have available on the game.

Most important, it's free... just need a decent computer.
North American server I suppose?
I have been playing on European server since ... uhh, May, I think.

Game is fun, but makes me incredibly nervous at the times. Programming is kind of sloppy, because of crapload of "everything is ok we don't know what you're talking about" bugs and no multicore support. And then there is the idiocity of the teammates that sometimes just kills all the fun out of it.

Favourite tanks? I prefer mediums, tried E50 and T54 so far. Trying to reach Patton, but it will take me at least 2 more months.

Skyrim is coming out this friday, so I suppose WoT will be on hold for some time
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #26
sombo

I've also been playing WoT lately. I've mostly focused on the US tanks. My highest tanks thus far are a maxed out T20 and a still mostly stock T29. I haven't really found too many bugs per say. Mostly some flaws in the mechanics that can be annoying (invisible tanks that can see and hit you but you can't see them). I play the NA servers and just recently joined clan DOOM and have been in a few clan battles. Of course I feel useless in those battles because I'm not a maxed out top tier tank like most of our opponents.

Old November 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #27
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

I don't think you're ever too old for video games. Maybe the behaviors people exhibit when playing games can come into play in terms of acting like a child - I'm one of those childish guys who can get really pissed at the 12 year old in Australia who just killed me 4 times in a row - but I personally think it can be a decent way to keep your hand-eye coordination sharp and, arguably, keep you mentally sharp as well. Not saying it'll make you any smarter, but you do exercise your brain when playing video games. There's better ways to do this that don't involve sitting on a couch, though, I must admit, but for older folks who aren't as mobile it's an option to keep their brains active than being parked in front of a TV watching game shows.

I am kind of the opposite, didn't get into video games until just before I turned 28. Before that, I hadn't had any gaming console since the original NES when I was about 12-13. I got a used Xbox, had a buddy mod it and add a HDD so I could load ripped games on the HDD, in all it cost me like 75$ and I came out with about 50 games. About a year later, all of my buddies were playing CoD 3 and I played it at one of their houses and got hooked. Got one for my b-day with CoD 3, Halo 3 came out a month later (got it for $20 @ day of release thanks to having a sister who works for Microsoft ) so I played that until CoD MW came out, been playing CoD games since then. I just turned 33 in Sept. I'm waiting to rent Battlefield 3 and MW3 before deciding which one to buy though. I may jump ship from the CoD series to BF3 for the online play. I still want to play through the MW3 campaign to see how they end the storyline. It's been a fun storyline to play through.

[Cool story, bro]
About 5 years ago, I weighed 266lbs and a little over a year later I was at 163lbs, I attribute about 70% of that to my Xbox. I needed to exercise but I hate to just walk, or run, and just listen to music or watch TV. I walked on a treadmill, twice a day for an hour each time, while I played Xbox. The distraction of focusing on the game made it easy for the hour to fly by. Had I just tried to go outside for a walk, I know I would've gotten bored and not stuck with it for very long. That exercise, along with dieting (duh!) helped me lose a LOT of weight.
[/CSB]

Before:

After:
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #28
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

You should really hang it up if your like 40 and you get all but hurt if they kill you in a game and your ready to go beat up 12 year olds. :P

Old November 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #29
sombo

You also shouldn't play video games if you can't win with dignity instead of taunting and teasing everyone you overcome. Sooner or later you'll do that in a face to face and possibly lose your face. I hate little punks that think it's cool to taunt just because they won a video game this particular time. Most of them are little punk kids that will one day have karma bite them back, so I just put them on ignore.

Old November 8th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #30
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Skyrim

Looking forward to it.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #31
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
You also shouldn't play video games if you can't win with dignity instead of taunting and teasing everyone you overcome. Sooner or later you'll do that in a face to face and possibly lose your face. I hate little punks that think it's cool to taunt just because they won a video game this particular time. Most of them are little punk kids that will one day have karma bite them back, so I just put them on ignore.
THIS.

In the end, it's just a stupid video game and in no way reflects any sort of real-world ability one person may or may not have. Sadly, most of the taunting that I've heard in CoD is from adults, the little kids are usually whining (often just as much as adults) about someone cheating or using n00b tactics. Even in real-world (or face-to-face) situations, taunting is really pretty annoying, unless done so in a mocking or humorous and not-at-all serious manner. If you're playing with your friends then taunting is pretty much to be expected but you're all in on it so it's fun for everyone.

Also, @rusninja, not sure if the butt-hurt and beating up 12 year olds statement was aimed at me as result of my response, but if it was I think you seriously read a lot more into my post than was intended. If it wasn't, then never mind.

Old November 8th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #32
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
THIS.

In the end, it's just a stupid video game and in no way reflects any sort of real-world ability one person may or may not have. Sadly, most of the taunting that I've heard in CoD is from adults, the little kids are usually whining (often just as much as adults) about someone cheating or using n00b tactics. Even in real-world (or face-to-face) situations, taunting is really pretty annoying, unless done so in a mocking or humorous and not-at-all serious manner. If you're playing with your friends then taunting is pretty much to be expected but you're all in on it so it's fun for everyone.

Also, @rusninja, not sure if the butt-hurt and beating up 12 year olds statement was aimed at me as result of my response, but if it was I think you seriously read a lot more into my post than was intended. If it wasn't, then never mind.
No he was referring to an article about how a grown man was playing online and a 12yr old kid kept taunting him and hounding him when the kid would kill him in game. The guy got so fed up he wen to the kid's house and hit him for real. He went to jail for doing so of course. No idea what the kid is doing now. I hope he learned a lesson from it though, just like the guy is learning his lesson behind bars.

Old November 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #33
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
North American server I suppose?
I have been playing on European server since ... uhh, May, I think.

Game is fun, but makes me incredibly nervous at the times. Programming is kind of sloppy, because of crapload of "everything is ok we don't know what you're talking about" bugs and no multicore support. And then there is the idiocity of the teammates that sometimes just kills all the fun out of it.

Favourite tanks? I prefer mediums, tried E50 and T54 so far. Trying to reach Patton, but it will take me at least 2 more months.
I prefer med tanks, too.. I'm a non-premium account player, only get 1/2 the EXP or $$ per battle played. I've worked myself thru the ranks up to an IS, KV-13and T-44 in Russian tanks, so far about 300 games from T-54 and/or IS-3 tank.

But I always enjoy playing the MS-1, I have 5 TopGun awards with the MS-1 alone. The 1-2 tier games seems to be move entertaining to me. At times when I'm low on $$, I would play my T-34 for a day and make up decent ground as paydays.

Quote:
I've also been playing WoT lately. I've mostly focused on the US tanks. My highest tanks thus far are a maxed out T20 and a still mostly stock T29. I haven't really found too many bugs per say. Mostly some flaws in the mechanics that can be annoying (invisible tanks that can see and hit you but you can't see them). I play the NA servers and just recently joined clan DOOM and have been in a few clan battles. Of course I feel useless in those battles because I'm not a maxed out top tier tank like most of our opponents.
I have played US tanks up the a M7, but find the M5 Stuart to be more fun to play along with Russian T-50 tank. Joined a couple of clans but don't find the clan wars particularly fun. More shouting and frustration that teammates give out or expect them to play certain role to their standards. But the clan wars does seem to play out well when players know their role in the games and communicate ahead of the battles.

Since I don't have a premium account, I don't know what it's like to hit with gold shells or fancy consumables/equipments that enhense the tanks.. I just play to my ability and do as I'm told.. so far, got me placed globally within 800 place for defense plays.

More recently, I've changed my playing tactis to faster moving tanks that spot enemies and capture bases. so far seems to work ok, my % of wins went up, and get placed in tougher and tougher matchups in the ramdom battles.. Once above 60% wins, you really get sh!tty matchups against some odds beyond fair.

I don't play any other video game, just onvenience of playing on my desktop with a free game that keeps me playing.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
[Cool story, bro]
About 5 years ago, I weighed 266lbs and a little over a year later I was at 163lbs, I attribute about 70% of that to my Xbox. I needed to exercise but I hate to just walk, or run, and just listen to music or watch TV. I walked on a treadmill, twice a day for an hour each time, while I played Xbox. The distraction of focusing on the game made it easy for the hour to fly by. Had I just tried to go outside for a walk, I know I would've gotten bored and not stuck with it for very long. That exercise, along with dieting (duh!) helped me lose a LOT of weight.
[/CSB]

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #35
sombo

Yah, I'm pretty much the same these days "A". I played America's Army 3 (still do from time to time) before trying WoT. I agree with you on the clan issue as the first clan I joined was lead by a kid and had several kids in it that were really good at being annoying and loud, but not much else. DOOM on the other hand is very laid back older players that are trying to get a foothold in the clan wars. Overall I'm like this clan right now.

I also don't play premium and just go by on my own skills and am getting better. I like to mostly snipe the enemy and most of my awards are accuracy awards. I also sometimes like getting the steel wall award, makes me kinda feel like some big brute that stood there and laughed as the enemy threw their best shots at me.

I'm waiting for their two other games they're working on: World of Warplanes, and World of Battleships. Should be interesting from the looks of things.

PS: if you see a player named Velnias.... that's me.

Old November 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #36
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Quote:
No he was referring to an article about how a grown man was playing online and a 12yr old kid kept taunting him and hounding him when the kid would kill him in game. The guy got so fed up he wen to the kid's house and hit him for real. He went to jail for doing so of course. No idea what the kid is doing now. I hope he learned a lesson from it though, just like the guy is learning his lesson behind bars.
Oh yeah... duh, I read that on here some where, was only a few weeks ago.

Old November 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #37
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Oh yeah... duh, I read that on here some where, was only a few weeks ago.
ya hahaha sorry for the misunderstanding

Old November 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #38
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I don't think you're ever too old for video games. Maybe the behaviors people exhibit when playing games can come into play in terms of acting like a child - I'm one of those childish guys who can get really pissed at the 12 year old in Australia who just killed me 4 times in a row - but I personally think it can be a decent way to keep your hand-eye coordination sharp and, arguably, keep you mentally sharp as well. Not saying it'll make you any smarter, but you do exercise your brain when playing video games. There's better ways to do this that don't involve sitting on a couch, though, I must admit, but for older folks who aren't as mobile it's an option to keep their brains active than being parked in front of a TV watching game shows.

I am kind of the opposite, didn't get into video games until just before I turned 28. Before that, I hadn't had any gaming console since the original NES when I was about 12-13. I got a used Xbox, had a buddy mod it and add a HDD so I could load ripped games on the HDD, in all it cost me like 75$ and I came out with about 50 games. About a year later, all of my buddies were playing CoD 3 and I played it at one of their houses and got hooked. Got one for my b-day with CoD 3, Halo 3 came out a month later (got it for $20 @ day of release thanks to having a sister who works for Microsoft ) so I played that until CoD MW came out, been playing CoD games since then. I just turned 33 in Sept. I'm waiting to rent Battlefield 3 and MW3 before deciding which one to buy though. I may jump ship from the CoD series to BF3 for the online play. I still want to play through the MW3 campaign to see how they end the storyline. It's been a fun storyline to play through.

[Cool story, bro]
[/CSB]

Before:

After:
Wow..... good job. That's a big diffrence.

Old November 21st, 2011, 10:07 PM   #39
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I don't consider myself a video gamer by any means however I have an x360 and wii. When I go away fro long trips I take the 360 to play the few games I like...COD, racing, NCAA football...guitar hero But in the past 3 years I have only played two different games and only with a group of coworkers until we got bored:

MW2 & MW3.....

I'm 30 and usually only play when I have days off (nights off as I work night shift) and there is nothing else to do.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2011, 10:15 PM   #40
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I haven't played anything in a while. I have a wii with every game imaginable but can't find the time. I played little big planet on ps3 at a friends house recently though and it was a blast. I quit wow (again) this past January but I'm REALLY getting the itch again. The wait for Diablo 3 is killing me. I might re-up wow just for a month. I couldn't be less interested in the new expansion though.