Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 31st, 2012, 06:30 AM   #1
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Review: REV'IT Turbine Pants

Summary: Perhaps the best hot weather pant on the market, but not without some flaws. For premier price, you get premier levels of comfort, quality and protection in a package great in heat and rain. More comfortable than an old pair of jeans, and confidence inspiring on the bike with state of the art protection. Mesh gear is a compromise between comfort and safety, but with the Turbine, there may be no compromise. But how are you supposed to get them on? Not for the thick of thigh or belly, or for the thin of wallet.

Pros: Most comfortable pair of pants I own. Protection levels, build quality and feature set are top of the line - better than custom. Flow air in hot weather without sacrificing protection, and somehow also great in rain, making these ideal summer pants. Can pants actually make your motorcycle faster? Cons: Price. Hard to take off and on. Potential problem with SuperFabric knee panels on paint. Not designed for those who enjoy beer and french fries.

Overview:

Quality: REV'IT Turbine pants are a summer focused mesh/textile pant. REV'IT uses tight weave, high quality Dynax mesh, mixed with familiar 1000D Cordura , proprietary "powershell" material and ceramic-plated SuperFabric in the knees. Padding includes CE rated knee and hip armor. Construction is top quality, with much attention to detail - seams are even and consistent, using high quality thread. All of the hook-and-loop material is evenly lined up. The zippers are very smooth and high quality, with thoughtful touches on the pulls. Rev’It gear is higher quality than my "custom” gear I’ve purchased in the past - they spare no expense to put the best of everything in these. Another nice touch is how easy the rain liner pulls in and out - a couple of zips on high quality zippers (no velcro, snaps or buttons), 5 seconds and you are done. Thoughtful design makes the rain liner actually usable on the fly - my other liners sit in my closet unused - these I bring with me. Overall, the materials and construction are everything you would expect when you are paying more than $350 for a pair of pants. I think they will last me for years, making that initial price hit a bit more bearable.

Comfort: Once you put the Turbines on (we'll talk about getting them on in a minute), they are the most comfortable pants I own. Not the most comfortable motorcycle pants, the most comfortable, period. Now, I'm a slim guy (5'11", 160) so the Euro fit on the pants works great for me. They fit like a glove, move how they are supposed to and never feel constraining. The lining is oh-so-smooth-and-comfy. On the bike, my legs want to go just where they are supposed to - I find myself leaning out a bit more because I can and have the confidence, dropping my knee a bit lower than usual, etc. The pants don't get in the way, and in fact seem, somehow, to facilitate good technique. Crazy? Probably, but they are that comfortable. Adding more support for the argument I may be irrational when it comes to these pants, I have been known to come home from a ride and keep them on around the house. Why change when they are more comfy than my jeans? Plus, one never knows when CE rated armor and cut-proof SuperFabric will come in handy when you have a toddler around.

Venting and Protection: The pants vent pretty well, especially compared to solid textile pants or (ugh) leather. They are lightweight, which helps keep you cool at a standstill, and you get good airflow at speed. It is the stoplight benefits that really the difference maker here - at speed you can make most things work. I use these in my commute as overpants, and arrive without sweat despite living in the tropics. I can't do that with full textile or perforated leather. And to have that level of summer comfort in a pant that has SuperFabric panels and good CE hip/knee padding combine with tough 1000D Cordura is a pretty great thing. The ideal pant for hot weather riding without compromising safety. Aforementioned useable waterproof liner makes them even better in the tropics. Depending on where you live, they could be three-season, or even year-round pants. I wear them all year long with the included waterproof liner.

Things That Make Me Curse: So, Mr. Drank The REV'IT Kool-Aid, what is the down side? These things are a pain in the ass to put on. The fit that I love so much on and off the bike, is narrow around the knee. This keeps the knee armor in place, a good thing, and with the stretch panels and thoughtful tailoring somehow makes them perfect on and off the bike. But you can't fit your boot through. So you have to put your boots on after you put on the pants. Compounding the problem putting them on is that there is a grabby, almost sticky liner at the bottom five inches of the pant. Again, a safety feature that helps comfort on and off the bike - the grabby liner grabs onto your boot plastic and keeps it from coming up in a getoff. It also keeps the pants in place as you ride and walk, which is part of what makes the fit seem so perfect. But when you put the pant on it grabs onto your foot and it hard to get through. Similarly, the well-intentioned velcro adjusters for the knee/shin pad grab onto your socks when you try to put them on. I am a patient man, and I've made it clear that I love these pants, but I confess that I have - more than once - been on my back, feet kicking, struggling to get ready for work and said something like: You F*C*ING STUPID DUTCH DESIGNERS, DID YOU EVEN TRY TO PUT THESE G*DD*MN PANTS ON?" On the bright side, you know how sometimes you lose socks in the laundry? I figured out where they went - they are stuck inside REV'IT pants somewhere desperately looking for the foot hole. One last niggle with the pants, and generally with SuperFabric. I'm a fan of the material for its abrasion resistance. Really remarkable stuff, very lightweight and more protective than leather. It is expensive, but worth it IMHO. But the microscopic ceramic tiles that form the basis of the cut-proof fabric aren't necessarily paint friendly. The panels on the knees of the Turbines are not a problem for my tank paint because of my ergonomics, but YMMV.

This photo is a close up of the curse-worthy sticky bit at the bottom of the pant leg, also noted by other reviewers.

And the ubiquitous Revzilla review of "bulletproof" Turbine gear.

Link to original page on YouTube.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; March 31st, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

If I'm not mistaking, I think someone on Revzilla complained about how these pants scratched up the paint fairing on their bike. Is that what you meant by not paint friendly?
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 04:15 AM   #3
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Yes. I do think that the complaint is overstated, but enough people have raised similar concerns that there seems to be something to it. It makes sense to me that the micro-ceramic plating on SuperFabric (and it is not just the Turbine pants) can scratch paint over a long period of time. It seems that most people don't have a problem, though. Those that don't have problems probably just have ergos on their bikes where the SuperFabric isn't an issue. For me, the SuperFabric is just to the outside a bit and I grip on the inside of the knee pads, so it is a complete non-issue for me on the ninjette. I'd say it depends on your tank and your riding style. Even if your tank design or riding style put the SuperFabric in contact with your paint, which seems odd for me but it must happen, it would never be a problem if you have StompGrip pads.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM   #4
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

If you roll/fold up the bottoms of the pants, that should make it easier to go in and out, no? Either way, very nice (expensive!) looking pants!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Thanks, @leed. That is a big improvement. Other problem is the velcro inside by the knee pads. I'm thinking about using 3M tape or something to cover, but want to be able to take it off easily so I can get the knee pads out for washing. Any suggestions on type of tape I could use would be most welcome -- slick on the outside, sticky enough to stay over the velcro bits, but something I can pull off without damaging the fabric.

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Put some silicon on the contact points on your bike. It will give you added grip too
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:20 PM   #7
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

You could cut some strips of the "loop" half of velcro and attach it to the unoccupied portions of velcro that are catching your socks. Or you could cut up an old sock and use that instead
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM   #8
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

I love Rev'it gear in general. I have the ignition jacket and would probably offer an identical review to your review of the Turbine pants. Btw, I have the AGV Sport Telluride pants which I think are fantastic and I have the exact same problem with the velcro knee pad holders and the grabby portion at the bottoms. My wife has joked that my 3 year old can get dressed faster than I can gear up for a ride lol.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote