ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 9th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #1
Soundtrackzz
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Oil leak

Hey all. I'm having an issue where my bike is leaking a little bit of oil everytime I ride it. I had a similar issue caused by the wrong size crush washer last year. This year I already tried replacing it with a new one to no avail. I've attached some pictures. I've noticed drops of oil on the drain plug, the oil filter nuts and on the lines that run near the shifter(sorry I don't know what they're called). Any help would be appreciated. What's the easiest way to find an oil leak?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0151.jpg (70.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0150.jpg (73.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0149.jpg (84.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0147.jpg (70.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0146.jpg (71.0 KB, 1 views)
Soundtrackzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Clean it up good with some engine degreaser, scrub brush, soap, water, whatever it takes, then watch carefully for a leak. You may see it right away, or you may have to idle it in the driveway, or you may have to ride it a mail, pull over, and look. Puffing some talcum powder in the area after you clean it can help spot the very first seepage, but you may not need it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:09 AM   #3
Soundtrackzz
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

I've discovered that the leak is coming from the drain plug. As I said previously I've already replaced the crush washer about a week ago so I don't know why it would be leaking. Do I need to use more torque than the 14.5 ft/lb for a new crush washer. Should I get an all new drain plug? Should I use thread tape like on a household fitting? Any thoughts?
Soundtrackzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 05:25 AM   #4
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Thread tape is for "pipe" thread. Pipe threads are tapered so they get tighter as they are screwed together, if you put tape on straight threads you could (and probably will) get tape in the oil pan. Check the mating surfaces of the pan and the drain bolt (where the crush washer fits) to be sure they are clean and no nicks in them. I've had luck on cars by cutting a washer out of a plastic jug (antifreeze or milk jug or whatever) to get a seal on roughed up surfaces.

Old May 11th, 2017, 06:29 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I had a problematic drain plug on one of my bikes, and ended-up getting a fiber washer from Ace Hardware to use instead of the original washer. The original aluminum crush washer leaked, was deformed, and was an odd size that I couldn't find. The fiber washer seemed to be doing the trick.

Be careful you don't really crank on it. Fixing stripped threads could be a real pain.

As noted above, thread tape wouldn't cure the problem and might cause other problems.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 06:29 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I've started using Parker Stat-O-Seals for those washers on my motorcycles. They have a rubber insert that seals without relying on squashing a metal washer, and they can be used multiple times. One place to buy them is McMaster-Carr, and the M12 size is McMaster-Carr part number 93786A200. You can plug that into www.mcmaster.com to see what it is.

They're only $1.50 each, but at McM you have to buy 10, and then pay shipping. You may find another source for getting a couple that's cheaper. Luckily I buy from McM regularly, so I just added a pack to an order.

Generic search phrases would be something like "m12 seal washer" or "m12 stat-o-seal"

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I've started using Parker Stat-O-Seals for those washers on my motorcycles. They have a rubber insert that seals without relying on squashing a metal washer, and they can be used multiple times. One place to buy them is McMaster-Carr, and the M12 size is McMaster-Carr part number 93786A200. You can plug that into www.mcmaster.com to see what it is.

They're only $1.50 each, but at McM you have to buy 10, and then pay shipping. You may find another source for getting a couple that's cheaper. Luckily I buy from McM regularly, so I just added a pack to an order.

Generic search phrases would be something like "m12 seal washer" or "m12 stat-o-seal"
I've never seen those before. I added it to my next order.

Should cure most any sealing problem.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 06:50 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

You can use them on brake banjos too. Just watch material/fluid compatibility. Parker has a bunch of different versions.

And Jay, you might find them useful in 2-stroke oil injection systems. They're popular on Kawasaki triples to replace the aluminum crush washers on the oil line banjos. Kawasaki combined crush washers with soft cast aluminum threads, and half the Kaw triple oil banjo threads in the world have been stripped by now.

Old May 11th, 2017, 11:14 AM   #9
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackzz View Post
I've discovered that the leak is coming from the drain plug. As I said previously I've already replaced the crush washer about a week ago so I don't know why it would be leaking. Do I need to use more torque than the 14.5 ft/lb for a new crush washer. Should I get an all new drain plug? Should I use thread tape like on a household fitting? Any thoughts?
I have the same problem. The previous owner had over-tightened the drain plug and may have damaged the seat where the crush washer seats. I'm going to install a nylon washer in place of the copper crush washer. I haven't tried it yet but it's worked for me in the past.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote